Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The headboard and footboard will be in the back, the mattress and boxspring are going on the roof. My question is this, where/how have you guys strapped down the mattress and boxspring? I have a factory roofrack (removing LoadWarrior for this trip), but its footprint is tiny compared to the mattress size. Do you run straps through open windows? Other ideas?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
bow and stern staps.
The bed has to be picked up tomorrow, no time for online shopping. Local Advance Auto has none, don't recall seeing anything like that at WalMart.

I've got plenty of rope, bungee cords, and lots of ratchet straps. That may have to do.

I'm thinking criss crossed ratchet straps around the factory roof rack and matress/box spring for lateral support. Then maybe a make-shift bow/stern strap in the front and rear made from rope.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
how long of a drive? Speeds involved?

The bow/stern straps would work best for the mattresses.

Run two ratchet straps from the back tow hook across the roof to the front tow hooks making a giant V. This will keep the mattress from lifting up in the front. This will also give you plenty of lateral support too. The lateral load is pretty light unless you plan on auto crossing with it on the roof.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
how long of a drive? Speeds involved?

The bow/stern straps would work best for the mattresses.

Run two ratchet straps from the back tow hook across the roof to the front tow hooks making a giant V. This will keep the mattress from lifting up in the front. This will also give you plenty of lateral support too. The lateral load is pretty light unless you plan on auto crossing with it on the roof.
About a 30 minute drive @ 55mph. The V-shape is roughly what I was thinking. I don't THINK I have any single ratchet strap long enough to go from rear tow hook to front tow hook. I also have to think about where the metal ratchet part sits, definitely don't want it near the E itself, and they're always about 12 inches from one end of the ratchet strap. Perhaps a strap from each of the front tow hooks that meet at the middle of the roof to mate with a third that runs to the rear tow hook. Put all 3 ratchets on top of the boxspring in the middle where they all meet (A "Y" instead of a "V"). Hrmmm.

I'll get it figured out. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
From the rear tow hook you should be able to have the ratchet portion just above the bumper.

Holding the mattress with you hand always seems to work well too.:rolleyes:

Good luck. I am sure you will be able to find a way to make it work. The important part is just keeping the leading edge from lifting up.

Oh yeah, don't forget the PICTURES!!!!;-)

·
Registered
751 Posts
Put all 3 ratchets on top of the boxspring in the middle where they all meet (A "Y" instead of a "V"). Hrmmm.

I'll get it figured out. Thanks.
Looks like a good plan. Just make sure everything is nice and tight. I had some stuff from Ikea on the roof and it started to slide a little more than I liked, so I had to stop and re-adjust the load and the ropes. I think your ratchet straps will work better for the purpose of keeping the load on the roof.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts