Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys. Long time, no speak to. 8)

Just got my E back from the mechanic with a hefty quote for front strut work. $650 out the door with 2 front struts, labor and alignment. I've only got 73K mi on this thing. Is that a typical milestone for strut work? He said the right side is leaking oil. I took it in because it has been making a horrible ticking/grinding noise for a while now. He thought it was bearings or rotors originally. Just had new brakes last month. :/

Is that a reasonable cost for everything? I don't know the specific break down on parts, but he said he called 3 places for parts and got the cheapest quote in Rochester (I'm in Buffalo). Said other places were $80+ more than there. Not exactly how I wanted to spend my tax return this year. I love my E, but damn. :( Is there a place online where I can get them reasonably? Should I be looking for something better than OEM? I'm sure that's all he was looking for. Thanks for the input.

-L

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
you can check at some places like Rileys or Pep Boys ect and see what they have. It sounds like your pivot point may be bad so if you can get a complete replacement set with springs and pivot plates they are easy to change out if you are mechanically inclined and then get it aligned afterward.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I'm not a complete chick when it comes to cars, but this is definitely over my head. Oil change/windshield wiper pump/small mods I can handle. :)

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
You can get complete OEM strut assemblies from places like www.bernardiparts.com

You definitely want the complete unit with the top plate/bearing, spring and strut because it sounds like one of you plate bearings has failed- hence the grinding-popping noise.

Most shops that do any suspension work can install complete strut units as it is much easier than taking the strut unit apart and replacing just the damper and bearing. Just make sure you get a good alignment done after the repairs.

As for mileage- salt and other corrosives can leach into the top plate/bearing and cause a failure regardless of miles- usually takes 4 to 5 years. I had struts last 120,000 miles on some vehicles and as few as 50,000 0n others before they failed the "bounce test". The roads in Western PA eat suspension parts. My 2006 E has 73,000 on it and needs rear struts with fronts not far behind.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I will look into that and see if maybe my mechanic will order parts from there or install if I buy from there.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Do you have a warranty on your E? I was told by my former Honda dealership that the shocks/struts were covered if they were leaking.

·
Registered
872 Posts
the last time I checked the new updated (07 & up to go on our old style E's for bump&torque steer help) were about $200 each for the assy from barnardie & other,son line. I need to do mine but $$$$ not in my pocket for that right now.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think I might be having the same, or at least sound like it, issue on my front passenger side. Squeaks and vibrates when I start from a complete stop or going over bump. It sounds like it's pretty costly to diagnose at the dealership so it's it cheaper to just replace the entire strut?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts