Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
1,887 Posts
YIKES

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can always be worse. Insurance company is already trying to total it without even seeing it. I don't think I'm gonna let that happen.

·
Registered
2007 EX AWD AT (two!)
1,179 Posts
If they try to total it, take the money minus scrap value and keep it. You'll likely have to get a salvage title, then can get a rebuilt title after repair and inspection (at least that's the way it works in OH). Insurance tried to total my 90 Accord (got rear ended a few months after spending $4k+ replacing quarters, new bumper covers, door trim, professional paint job, professional refinish of aluminum wheels, etc. Initial quote for replacing the rear bumper (bent bracket, broken fiberglass beam, trunk structure (not lid) pushed in slightly, damaged cover) was $1400 (car had 310k+ miles at the time). Body shop tweaked their estimate to $1100 to get below the total threshold. Took the money. I straightened the bracket, already had a spare beam, was able to push the trunk out, got a new cover and had it painted. Only cost me about $300 to fix it. I did all the labor.

Majestic still shows prices for most of the front end sheet metal. You do body work? I cut my teeth replacing the rear quarter panels on my 90 Accord; was able to put most of it back together with a Harbor Freight spot welder. Used a spot weld cutter (like a small end mill) to undo the spot welds on the damaged car and donor quarters and leave one side of the joint to be able to reweld.

Rescuing Ruby, Extensive Quarter Panel Rust Repair - CB7Tuner Forums

Similar repair to my wife's Accord:

Saving Silver (Right Front Corner Structure Repair), Sequel to Rescuing Ruby - CB7Tuner Forums

·
Registered
2007 EX AWD AT (two!)
1,179 Posts
If it was me, I'd probably replace at least the top corner piece (it's the most visible when the hood is open) and maybe try to straighten everything else out. Either get it new, or cut a piece from another vehicle.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Uh oh, the insurance will cite frame damage to justify totaling it out. I would fight them tooth and nail for a cash pay out so you can repair yourself. Attached is a link to an OEM bumper you could make an offer on.

·
Registered
334 Posts
what is the year and mileage of your Element? Here where I am, when I worked in that industry, they way they determine if it gets totalled is they write an estimate on how much it costs to do the repair on a computer estimating software like mitchell or ADP and once it gets to around 75 percent of the cash value of the vehicle then they are in write off territory where it is more financially feasable for he insurance company to pay you out the value of the car and sell the scrap for the other 25 percent

the body shop always wants to repair a repairable car as that is how they make money, so they should be more on your side. From the pictures your car looks repairable to me. It needs to be set up on the frame machine and pull the bent metal and they would likely replace the metal that goes behind your left headlight with either new or used metal

Set up and measure time on a frame machine would be about 2.5 hours, they would quote a few hours for pull time. It doesnt look like the left front strut tower is affected which would total the car here and brand it as irrepairable salvage so I doubt they could use that against you.

They would have to replace and paint your hood and replace other parts that are broken like your bumper cover, left plastic fender, left headlight, they could easily do this with good used OEM parts

but as stated it comes down to how much cash value your vehicle has, which will probably be determined by the value of other similiar models for sale out there in your region at this time

if you wind up being in contact with the actual appraiser who writes the estimate for the repair, dont be abusive or aggressive with him or her. That has never helped any insured in all the years I have worked in that industry. Stay calm and cool. If you have receipts for all the work and parts you have done on the vehicle especially any upgrades keep them handy, you may need them and they might help justify the highest value for your car. If you have an insurance broker sometimes they can also help fight on your behalf

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
1,887 Posts
This is unfortunate for you. I despise insurance company's. Crap like this is why mine is 'self insured'. Only liability coverage on mine since brand new. Over the 14 yrs it has saved me money. If it gets wacked, I determine the value and the repair, not some appraiser pressing computer buttons.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm at 284,000 miles. She's in great shape; I'm the second owner (since 120,000) and I have the maintenance history on her from the dealer she was serviced at prior to my purchase. I've kept my own records since then. These vultures are determined to total her out. I'm considering closing the claim, fixing her myself with my money and dropping my house and 3 vehicles from this insurance company.

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
1,887 Posts
I'm at 284,000 miles. She's in great shape; I'm the second owner (since 120,000) and I have the maintenance history on her from the dealer she was serviced at prior to my purchase. I've kept my own records since then. These vultures are determined to total her out. I'm considering closing the claim, fixing her myself with my money and dropping my house and 3 vehicles from this insurance company.
Good for you!!! Drop them like a hot potato, and take your business elsewhere. The way I see it, the monies I would have paid for collision, just pay for other drivers who totaled their vehicle. The money saved stay with me. Did I take a chance, yeah.

Reactions: 73curtis

·
Registered
334 Posts
yes with that many miles on it, its doubtful they will have a change of heart as they will be comparing it to other Elements cash value with similiar mileage

if you can get the body shop where it is at or another shop recommended to you to do the unibody straightening and measured then you could probably just buy another hood used in the same colour as the car you have now and bolt that right on, as well as bolting other used OEM parts on yourself. Did your vehicle get hit on the left front wheel in the accident, was it driveable, did you notice the car pulling or any alignment issues?

·
Registered
2007 EX AWD AT (two!)
1,179 Posts
If I had taken a larger vehicle to Ft. Wayne, IN today, I could have gotten you a front bumper, headlight, and left fender cladding. Take the money minus the scrap value and fix it yourself.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Make sure the insurance will let you buy the car back if you are taking any settlement money from them, sometimes insurance companies make a settlement, give you a cheque and will not let you buy the car back

·
Registered
897 Posts
I bet you they change their tune once you tell them you want to walk with all your policies. Keep calling and raising a stink until you get someone on your side. I had to do this recently. You don't have a lot to lose. People forget that insurance should work for us, they are a service WE pay for. I hate how it feels so adversarial sometimes, why should we be the ones having to make a case, and begging them for money? I want someone who advocates for me. SMH.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, well, well, it appears someone had a change of heart. Looks like I'll be ordering my parts tomorrow and getting this repair started. I already have a used headlight and fender cladding in the attic so I'll save some money there. I'm going to buy an aftermarket hood and fender, and the rest of the parts will be new from Honda. The plan is to try and straighten everything out and if that doesn't work I'm just going to buy the two little pieces there and replace them after straightening the apron.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts