Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Double post - sorry.

So, I'm relatively new owner of a 2010 Element LX (40K miles on chassis, 20K on the engine).
My son drove the car the other night and had an occasion to turn on the hazard lights (4 way flashers). They only work on the drivers side front, side, and back. In normal operation, on the right side, the turn signals work fine front and back.
The hazards on working on the left appears to be true whether the engine is on, engine off and key in accessories mode.

HOWEVER, if the turn signal is the right turn position, the hazards work both right and left (front, side, and back)

To the best of my knowledge, no mods to turns signals, no trailer hitch wiring.

Questions:
1. I had been thinking the problem was s likely to be the hazard relay. However, having the variation where hazards work with the turn signal in the 'right' position makes me think the problem is in the turn signal switch. (perhaps a not always used connection that is staying open, but does not affect day-to-day driving. Thoughts?

2. Although it seems less likely to be that the problem is the flasher/relay, it also strikes me that it is probably a cheaper and easier fix than replacing the turn signal switch. Thoughts on this replacement as a first step? Is that relay in the fuse/relay panel below the steering column?

Other ideas?

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Did you get the airbag fix done yet? Somebody could've not gotten the switch plugged back in well enough. It sounds like the voltage is running back through the switch when you flip the turn light lever.

I actually broke down a month ago and went back to the local Honda dealership to see about getting mine done - stood around watching the mechanics work, and decided I'd rather take my chance with the thing blowing a hole in my chest than trust my life to something they worked on.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm, interesting idea. I've only owned the car since May. I have full records from the previous original owner. I know that there no outstanding recalls on the car, but I don't know whether that means that in this year and trim level it was an issue and has been addressed (by the dealer) or if there wasn't a recall on this model on the driver's side.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Hmm, interesting idea. I've only owned the car since May. I have full records from the previous original owner. I know that there no outstanding recalls on the car, but I don't know whether that means that in this year and trim level it was an issue and has been addressed (by the dealer) or if there wasn't a recall on this model on the driver's side.
I haven't followed ALL the posts on it but you can pretty much take that if it's a Honda, it's faulty. There's a couple websites you can go to find out any recalls on your vehicle. I can't recommend the official Honda site because of all the security and setup issues it has. Most browsers won't even LET you open their site or only do so after a lot of warning notices - but if you want, it's https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/

·
Moderator Eh?
12,102 Posts
Neither the hazard switch or turn signal switch is touched when doing either side airbag recall.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Neither the hazard switch or turn signal switch is touched when doing either side airbag recall.
I have found out a few things.
1.) the flasher for the turnsignals/hazard lights is built into the turn signal/headlight stalk/switch. Remarkably its not that expensive - my dealer says about $50. I found an illustration of its replacement and it looks relatively easy. Certainly easier than the relay (see below).

2. I assumed that the relay associated would be cheaper - but it is also about $50 (from the dealer). When I searched to determine the location for the relay I learned it is on the interior fuse/relay block. That is accessed through a removable panel under the steering column. HOWEVER, that fuse/relay block is not 'right there' its to the right and not very accessible. the relay is also among the less accessible items in the block (far right). Frankly, I think the location is remarkably STUPID design.

I'm thinking that I will replace the turn signal/stalk/switch. and see if the problem persists. So far I haven't see one for my year on Ebay.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
I have found out a few things.
1.) the flasher for the turnsignals/hazard lights is built into the turn signal/headlight stalk/switch. Remarkably its not that expensive - my dealer says about $50. I found an illustration of its replacement and it looks relatively easy. Certainly easier than the relay (see below).

2. I assumed that the relay associated would be cheaper - but it is also about $50 (from the dealer). When I searched to determine the location for the relay I learned it is on the interior fuse/relay block. That is accessed through a removable panel under the steering column. HOWEVER, that fuse/relay block is not 'right there' its to the right and not very accessible. the relay is also among the less accessible items in the block (far right). Frankly, I think the location is remarkably STUPID design.

I'm thinking that I will replace the turn signal/stalk/switch. and see if the problem persists. So far I haven't see one for my year on Ebay.
on my 2002, 2004 and 2006 Hondas, the flasher/relay is mounted in the interior fuse/relay block. it's a bit of a reach but that keeps it out of the way of feet that are operating the throttle and brake. on my vehicles, there are only switches, no relays, in the combination switch on the steering column. also the wiring for the hazards has to go through the emergency hazard switch that's located near the shift lever on my vehicles.
so the hazard switch and the combo switch and the flasher and the wiring must all be working correctly to have correctly functioning turn and hazard signals.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
I had to read up on it before I replied. The job I watched wasn't done by the instructions. The "mechanic" pulled every wire he could find and I think he had the battery disconnected too but not sure. I'm waiting until I can find someplace else to get it done.

·
Moderator Eh?
12,102 Posts
I had to read up on it before I replied. The job I watched wasn't done by the instructions. The "mechanic" pulled every wire he could find and I think he had the battery disconnected too but not sure. I'm waiting until I can find someplace else to get it done.
As per the instructions only two connections are undone. One for the airbag and the other for the horn. And yes the battery is supposed to be disconnect before starting the repair.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts