Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured you guys might have a bit more experience with this, so here's what's going on.

First off, this will be my first big(er) "excursion" in the E. Stoked. More than enough room for gear and people, and it'll be more reliable than my friend's car was on the last adventure (loooong story).

I try to photograph meteor showers whenever I have the opportunity, and this upcoming shower is taking place during a new moon, which should really make for some "premium dark."

Last time, a friend and I ended up taking the 10 to the 62 (near Desert Hot Springs), and found a little area just before you head into the hills towards Jtree).

This time we've decided to head into the park, probably entering through the West gate I think. Can you get into the park at all hours? A friend said they thought national parks never close, but I don't know about that as far as the entry gate is concerned.

Any ideas on where to go once we get in? I've been to J tree once before, but that was for a treasure hunt of sorts in the daytime. We aren't planning on camping out, just finding some sort of scenic foreground, and setting up shop and shooting pics from say 1-5 am. Looking for a good outcropping of rocks (and possibly joshua trees) that's accessible from the regular paved roads (no 4wd...damn). Suggestions? We plan on getting there long after sundown.

Enough rambling, feel free to speak up if you have any pointers! Thanks in advance!

From this year's Perseids:

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
check with box4rox or miss ellie or wgwood. They had a EOC camping meet in j-tree a few years ago. If you do go, you have to post pics ;-)

Also, check out the Death Valley February 2010 campout thread-- lots of beautiful stars out there, and lots of EOC peeps with telescopes too!

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Stills - you can drive into Joshua Tree day or night.
Once you're there all you have to do is look up in the night sky and you should be able to see the metor shower with no problems.

You should seriously consider going to Death Valley with us in February where the night sky is twice as dark.

There won't be a meteor shower going on but you could see this: http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap070508.html

1 - 5 of 5 Posts