Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Strange problem. Cruise works fine until i turn on the running lights or headlights. Then it turns off. Also cant activate cruise when lights are already in.The light on the button to the lower left of steering wheel still lights up, but no response to trying to set the cruise via the steering buttons.
2005 Element LX

·
Registered
2004 EX AWD
42 Posts
Wild *** guess here, but I am wondering what triggers the CC to turn off - the brake light switch or the brake light itself. Point being, if the cruise thinks the brakes are depressed, it will cancel or not turn on. I would find a schematic and trace back where it ties into the brake system.

·
Registered
2007 EX AWD AT; 2008 LX FWD AT
1,776 Posts
The running lights and headlights are separate circuits from the brake lights. You definitely need a wiring diagram; there may be a bad ground somewhere that causes the light circuit to ground through the brake light system (I had an issue in one of my Accords that some of the wrong lights would come on or not because one ground wire was not connected - this was during reassembly after a significant RF corner collision repair).

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
2,037 Posts
I would start with making sure every outside light works, and not dim. Esp the 3rd brake light.

Bad dual filament bulb can cause problems due to feedback.

Have you installed led's for any outside bulbs?

The body ground from the battery is another suspect.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Have you installed led's for any outside bulbs?
I vaguely remember full-LED exterior lighting (includes 3rd brake light) causing CC issues for some people. However, I'm assuming even 1 bad LED could have an effect. If you have any exterior LED, switch them all back to the stock bulbs and then test for your problem again. If you have any headlight LEDs, I would switch those out too, just to rule it all out at the same time.

Also, have you done any electrical mods?

Are you the original owner, or could a previous owner have done some mods and not told you?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts