Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have lost my drivers side headlight retainer clip. I was changing the bulb and the part came loose from the retaining screw. I had trouble getting it back on and so I just put it in my console and was going to fix it later that night at home. Now the piece is gone and I cannot find it anywhere. I took it to the dealer to get something else fixed, and asked them to put a new clip on for me while it was in the shop. They said the part is only sold as a assembly of the entire headlight and it was $300.00+ for the part and labor to install it. I need just need the little wire clip, there is nothing wrong with my headlight. I need to get this fixed so I don't get a ticket for driving without a headlight. Anyone else have this problem and fix it themselves? I need some help. Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
See the info highlighted below for a better explanation of the piece I am talking about. The car is in the shop right now and I pick it up today. I can take a pic later if you need that also.

1.Locate the headlight under the hood. This is the passenger side headlight.

2. Disconnect this plug by pulling it toward the rear of the vehicle.

3. Remove the rubber gasket by pulling the tab on the bottom.

4. There is a wire bail holding the headlamp in the socket. Move it by pushing the handle toward the front of the vehicle, then pull it up to disengage. (Much like a safety pin.)

5. Pull the headlight directly backwards out of the socket.

6. The now empty socket.

7. Locate the 3 tabs on your new headlight. The big tab goes to the top. The headlight should only fit in the socket with the big tab facing up. Try not to touch the glass on the headlamp.

8. Replace the components in the reverse of the removal diagrams.

9. The driver's side installation is the same with the exception of removing an air intake. It pulls off with a little effort.

10. Make sure all your connections work before closing the hood. Make certain you replace the air intake on the drivers side before you close the hood!

This is from an old thread.....unfortunately the pictures that went with it were lost in a server crash.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I think i know what you are talking about now. i have an sc so mine is different and i cant use it for ref but i had an 04 ex and if it is the one i am thinking of you can fassion one out of a thick paperclip if noone can find one for you.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
try a junk yard....or even the body shop the dealer uses. Just "borrow" one off of an already broken/damaged headlight assembly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have exactly the same problem and found Clips on Amazon. If anyone has pictures of how the clip actually attaches to the headlight assembly that would totally help me. When I went to change the headlight the clip was just laying in the bottom so I really have no idea of what it was originally connected to. And someone had just use tape to hold the bulb in.. can't wait to see what the passenger side looks like. Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts