Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to improve the stock headlights on my 2005 EX. But I didn't want to go as far as installing projectors and HID's. I went through that before with a Volvo 850 wagon. Though I liked the increased light output, the problems I had with other electrical circuits as well as aiming and balancing the output of the projectors was just not worth the cost or the effort. I had also done LED conversions on various lighting in the Volvo. Eventually, I went back and replaced the LED's with incandescent bulbs as well. The LED's were not as long-lived as advertised. In many instances, they were not as well suited to lighting an area as a regular bulb. They are much more directional and required a lot of effort (and expense) without much return.

I went to Daniel Stern's website (http://www.danielsternlighting.com/) looking for more conventional solutions. I wrote Daniel, asking what I could do with conventional bulbs to improve the output of the E's headlights and side marker lights. Daniel referred me to Candlepower.com to look at their Osram's 70/65W ultra high efficacy +50 H4 bulb. It is a straight plug and play H4 bulb and the difference it makes in driving at night is remarkable. The low beams are very crisp and bright, much brighter than the stock bulbs. The high beams are even better. They are very bright with great reach and definition. The bulbs produce 2000/1350 lumens, using the high/low beams respectively.

Daniel also highly recommended Candlepower's Osram MiniXen® 2886X mini wedge (W2.1×9.5d) for the side marker lamps. They produce 85 lumens from 6 watts, making the side markers really accentuate the turn signal when the side flasher mod is done.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I just purchased a set of MTEC Super White 4X bulbs from eBay, which uses 100/90W --> PRODUCING 170/160W

I haven't got them yet, but they're apparently very bright at night

·
Registered
118 Posts
I just purchased a set of MTEC Super White 4X bulbs from eBay, which uses 100/90W --> PRODUCING 170/160W

I haven't got them yet, but they're apparently very bright at night
I hope you also added in a relayed harness for the lights if you are jumping up in wattage, the thin stock wiring harness will heatup and melt suing higher wattage bulbs without a relayed harnees, plus it takes alot of the load off the stalk switch which will also get damaged from that as well. I've modified plenty of headlights on my Audis with Euro-spec headlights and higher wattage bulbs. I've always made high wattage wiring harnesses so the wiring doesn't melt and burn.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts