Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2008 EX that sustained some gravel damage to both headlights; the driver side also sustained some water leakage. I decided to replace both units as just replacing the headlight bulbs would not be a complete repair.
I found details for the headlight unit(s) replacement on techinfo.honda.com (aka Honda Express). Could not publish the manual pages here due to copyright restrictions. Access to the service manuals requires a subscription payment (amount depends on how long you want access; one day = $10.00).
To summarize, replacing the headlight units requires removal of the front grill cover (above the radiator) and removal of the front bumper assembly before removal/replacement of the headlight assemblies.
Because I'm not much of a mechanic, I opted to have the units installed by a Honda-certified shop. The headlight units cost $134.00 for the pair, installation was $170.00 and two headlight bulbs cost $30.00; total about $330.00 before sales tax.
If anyone else wants to try replacing their headlight units, also suggest making sure the bulbs are included (or you know they're not) when the units are shipped. Can make a bit of difference on the final price.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Wow! First post. Let's see some pictures of the beautiful blue Element (the best Element color ever).:-D

·
Registered
663 Posts
You got that right Gary!

Paul, BISHKO sells reprints of the factory manuals. If you get the CD version, it's about $24 or so, plus a few bucks shipping.

This includes BOTH the service manual and the electrical manual.

The quality isn't GREAT, but it's usable. Actually, it's really only the PHOTOS that don't reproduce well, and it's still good enough to get an idea where the components are located.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1440499,parttype,10335

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
If anyone else wants to try replacing their headlight units, also suggest making sure the bulbs are included (or you know they're not) when the units are shipped. Can make a bit of difference on the final price.
Don't let the big words fool you. The parts they said to remove are held on with a couple (4?) of 10mm bolts that can almost be unscrewed with your fingers, a dozen or so plastic pegs that just pop out (a paint can opener is great for this - I use a butter knife) and two philips head screws. That's all that holds the whole front of your Element together.

I've only had to order two OEM's headlights so far from Honda but my experience has been that most of the cheaper aftermarket headlights come with bulbs of some sort while the OEM Honda lights don't. They want to sell you some bulbs too.

BTW, we just had to replace a headlight on the Pilot and the "genuine Honda part" had bad glue seams and leaked. The horizontal aim was also way off and needed shims to get the light back to somewhere close to usable. Now it looks crooked. I should've insisted on quality Ebay parts. Aftermarket units average about $58 postpaid and OEM costs $240 plus tax. ooch!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for reponses

Well, as you might imagine, I probably should have posted what I was planning on the headlight units BEFORE buying them. Thanks everyone for all the great feedback and it looks like I have a lot of work to do to just catch up with the responders.
My lesson is learned. Ask the question first, then take the repair action. Thanks again, all.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The eagle eyes headlight assemblies are $116/pair on Amazon or Ebay? I forget which. The least expensive Honda headlight assemblies I could find online were $165 each at Honda Parts Unlimited. I bought one Eagle Eyes assembly for $65. Wishing I'd bought the pair now. They are really nice units. I may go back and replace the other on the 08. Element Headlight assemblies are really quick and easy to replace.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Headlight and FOG LIGHT Replacement

I know this thread is super old, but it seems like I always end up on this website when I am doing repairs.

My 2006 EX Element needs new fog lights. One side has a burned out bulb, but the other side is broken...looks like a rock might have gotten to it while driving?

I've scoured ebay for prices ($30-$50) and now am on to headlights, which I think are too cloudy to save (I've tried).

I've contacted my normal auto repair shop, but I'm wondering - it looks like the front bumper is easy to remove and the headlights easy to replace as well...my question is this - can I do the fog lights while the front is off?

Thanks guys for any help you can give!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I know this thread is super old, but it seems like I always end up on this website when I am doing repairs.

My 2006 EX Element needs new fog lights. One side has a burned out bulb, but the other side is broken...looks like a rock might have gotten to it while driving?

I've scoured ebay for prices ($30-$50) and now am on to headlights, which I think are too cloudy to save (I've tried).

I've contacted my normal auto repair shop, but I'm wondering - it looks like the front bumper is easy to remove and the headlights easy to replace as well...my question is this - can I do the fog lights while the front is off?

Thanks guys for any help you can give!
yes..once the front is off,easy to do.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
The eagle eyes headlight assemblies are $116/pair on Amazon or Ebay? I forget which. The least expensive Honda headlight assemblies I could find online were $165 each at Honda Parts Unlimited. I bought one Eagle Eyes assembly for $65. Wishing I'd bought the pair now. They are really nice units. I may go back and replace the other on the 08. Element Headlight assemblies are really quick and easy to replace.
I'm a new Element owner (2005 Special Edition).
My headlight covers are clouded, especially on driver's side & the headlight just burnt out.
I went online to find a replacement bulb & what comes up is a pair of Sylvania 9003 xv-2 LED pair of headlight bulbs for $130+ tax (I'm in Canada, so that would be $150 Cndn, = ~ $120 U.S.).

Seems like A LOT just for 2 bulbs!?

The originals are halogen (I believe) & even after watching the video comparing the halogen bulbs to LED bulbs, I don't see a marked difference other than LED gives off a cooler blue light.
Anyone else have any recommendations?

Thx!

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element Sunset Orange Pearl 2WD Automatic 135K Miles I Love It!
740 Posts
I'm a new Element owner (2005 Special Edition).
My headlight covers are clouded, especially on driver's side & the headlight just burnt out.
I went online to find a replacement bulb & what comes up is a pair of Sylvania 9003 xv-2 LED pair of headlight bulbs for $130+ tax (I'm in Canada, so that would be $150 Cndn, = ~ $120 U.S.).

Seems like A LOT just for 2 bulbs!?

The originals are halogen (I believe) & even after watching the video comparing the halogen bulbs to LED bulbs, I don't see a marked difference other than LED gives off a cooler blue light.
Anyone else have any recommendations?

Thx!
Welcome Aboard! :)

OUCH! That is Way Too Expensive!

If all you want to do is get your headlights working again, stock replacement type bulbs (individual) can be had from the chain auto parts stores for like $10 - 12 each US! They are easy to change; I think there is a good YouTube video if you need help.

Unless you just have to have the latest and greatest upgrade in headlights (and want to blind all the oncoming traffic!), that would be the way to go!

I have had very good results removing the cloudy oxidation on my headlights just by using some polishing compound and working them manually with a cotton cloth. I spent about 10 minutes on each one, and they look almost new again. The cloudy oxidation starts to come back after maybe 2 months, but then I just work them a little more with the polishing compound again. No big deal!

Show us some pictures of your new Element when you get a chance. We are all enthusiasts here and like pictures! :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Welcome Aboard! :)

OUCH! That is Way Too Expensive!

If all you want to do is get your headlights working again, stock replacement type bulbs (individual) can be had from the chain auto parts stores for like $10 - 12 each US! They are easy to change; I think there is a good YouTube video if you need help.

Unless you just have to have the latest and greatest upgrade in headlights (and want to blind all the oncoming traffic!), that would be the way to go!

I have had very good results removing the cloudy oxidation on my headlights just by using some polishing compound and working them manually with a cotton cloth. I spent about 10 minutes on each one, and they look almost new again. The cloudy oxidation starts to come back after maybe 2 months, but then I just work them a little more with the polishing compound again. No big deal!

Show us some pictures of your new Element when you get a chance. We are all enthusiasts here and like pictures! :)
Awe! Thank you for responding!

I called a local Honda dealer yesterday & the parts guy told me $10-30 for the bulb & they would put it in for free!

My brother -a busy car guy- was going to see if he had a spare bulb and when he checked it last night he discovered it was just a loose connection & the bulb is fine!

Right now I have winter salt stains allover the car but as soon as I get my baby cleaned up I will take new photos! 😆

I love this car! 😊

1 - 14 of 14 Posts