Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How big of a deal would it be to add a headphone jack for the backseat? There is no headphone jack to extend from from what I can see.
Also, for small laptop, can I just run it off the 12V (to watch DVDs) or would you recommend an inverter and AC adaptor. The 12V charger for the laptop is $75 so no small investment.

Brian

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
[quote:f7b12eece7="brianw"]
Also, for small laptop, can I just run it off the 12V (to watch DVDs) or would you recommend an inverter and AC adaptor. The 12V charger for the laptop is $75 so no small investment.[/quote:f7b12eece7]

I've been very happy with this $18 3rd party adapter with my Thinkpad T21, with the following caveats:

1) It uses the Radio Shack Adaptaplug system. It most likely doesn't come with the right adapter for your laptop, and radio shack might not even have one.

2) I've secured the adapta-plug using a pen-clip and a wire tie, otherwise the two pin connection tends to fall out too easily. That's both annoying and potentially dangerous, as you may forget to check polarity when plugging it back in (not a good thing to do to your laptop).

3) Once I set it to the correct voltage (16V), I taped the switch down, just to make sure I didn't move the switch to a higher voltage and, again, put the laptop in danger.

I bought two, one for home (to run the laptop off of 12V batteries during power outages) and one for the car. In fact, since my T21's AC Adapater died months ago, I've been running the laptop off of a ham radio 12V power supply using the adapter. Seems to be tough enough to handle it.

Note that the unit covers a large range of upconversion DC voltages, and delivers some good amperage, so it's potentially useful for other over 12V devices.

Regarding headphones, no idea. :)

-brendan

1 - 2 of 2 Posts