Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The selector that activates the damper to send heat to your feet or your face is having no effect on the airflow.
I'd like to troubleshoot and repair this myself.
Where to begin? Is it a common problem?

·
Registered
6,238 Posts

He is, In a nice way, telling you to fill out your profile! That information is imperative, when trying to assist you with information about your Element.

It also helps to know what part of the country your in, and if it's an Lx or an EX 2 or 4 wheel drive.

Give us some help here!

Fill out your profile!

Thanks

Dom

·
Registered
54 Posts
2005 Element

HVAC How the Circuit Works The heater control panel controls the blower controls, air delivery, and A/C compressor controls automatically. With the ignition switch in ON (II), battery voltage is supplied through fuse 14 (in the under-dash fuse/relay box). The heater control panel is grounded at G501.

Blower Controls You can manually select the fan speed by turning the fan control dial clockwise, from the OFF position. Turning the dial further clockwise increases the fan's speed, which increases air flow. Battery voltage is applied through fuse 12 (in the under-hood fuse/relay box) to the blower motor relay contacts at all times. With the ignition switch ON (II), the blower motor relay in the under-hood fuse/relay box is energized which feeds battery voltage to the blower motor. The blower power transistor controls the blower motor in all speeds except HIGH. The blower power transistor is controlled by the heater control panel. When the control panel requests HIGH blower speed, the blower power transistor grounds the blower motor which connects it directly to ground, making the blower run at high speed.

Air Delivery The heater control panel controls the blower motor and supplies a 5 V DC reference voltage to the air mixture control motor. The air mix and mode control motors each receive inputs from the control panel. The air mix motor regulates the mixture of cold and hot air by varying the position of the heater-evaporator door. The mode control motor controls the direction and volume of outlet air. Use the mode control dial to select the vents the air flows from. Some air will flow from the dashboard corner vents in all modes. Both the air mix control motor and mode control motor are grounded by the control panel. The recirculation control motor receives battery voltage through fuse 14 (in the under-dash fuse/relay box) when the ignition switch is ON (II). It regulates the position of the fresh/recirc door, and is controlled by the control panel when the recirculation button is pressed.

·
Registered
54 Posts
2005 Element Heater Control Assembly from Honda $225. Lots of them in salvage yards $25 - $50 at car-part.com. Tell me how much time to trace the controls to the motors especially if you don't have the tools. You can specify your area of USA. Mode motor assembly 79140-S9A-A01 $56 from Honda fits 02 - 06 CRV, 03 -09 Element. Mode motor in behind glove box. Probably get that thrown in with the control assembly. Sounds like it is the mode motor. Might get that for $10 from salvage yard. Not often either of these items crap out so chances are good that a salvage part will be OK.

Air Door Actuator / Motor:
Testing and Inspection Mode Control Motor
Mode Control Motor Test
1. Disconnect the 7P connector from the mode control motor. NOTE: Incorrectly applying power and ground to the mode control motor will damage it. Follow the instructions carefully.
2. Connect battery power to the No.1 terminal of the mode control motor, and ground the No.2 terminal; the mode control motor should run smoothly, and stop at Vent. If it doesn't, reverse the connections; the mode control motor should run smoothly, and stop at Defrost. When the mode control motor stops running, disconnect battery power immediately.
3. If the mode control motor did not run in step 2, remove it, then check the mode control linkage and doors for smooth movement.
- If the linkage and doors move smoothly, replace the mode control motor.
- If the linkage or doors stick or bind, repair them as needed.
- If the mode control motor runs smoothly, go to step 4.
4. Use a digital multimeter with an output of 1 mA or less at the 20 kOhm range. With the mode control motor running as in step 2, check for continuity between the No.3, 4, 5, 6 terminals and the No.7 terminal individually. There should be continuity for a moment at each terminal as the motor moves past the switch's terminal.
5. If there is no continuity for a moment at each terminal, replace the mode control motor.

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
Wow, this is a fixable problem. Mine hasn't totally cut off the airflow from the top vents since I bought it new. I close all the vents to force it onto my feet.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just found and filled in the profile section!

You guys are great, I now have a starting point and a wealth of info.

Thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Just found and filled in the profile section!

You guys are great, I now have a starting point and a wealth of info.

Thanks,
Tom
\

Thank you !

Try to swing by one of our Northeast Meets !

Dom

·
Registered
20 Posts
No air from Center vents

Am I having a problem with the mode selector? I can get aire from all vents except the main center vents on the dash (above the radio) on my 04 EX. I can select air out of defrost, floor but when I choose "face level" air only comes out of the circular vents on either side.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Electrical diagram and location of mode motor.
Behind glove box.
My 05 is not throwing any air to the defrost position, heat works fine, just doesn't change air flow directions using the mode switch. I want to get at the heater mode motor and it looks like it is behind the glove box, which is an easy removal, but do I need to take any of the passenger side dash apart as well?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Reviving a 1000 yr old thread ,ok maybe only 8 yr old.. math and I part ways

I posted this in another thread on this board
I did remove the glove box and can see the motor moving in the wrong direction i.e. if I could just clock it ( in a counter clockwise direction (45 -90 degrees) I think It would be good to go ? Its running from 10 -2 o'clock and it need to be like 6 - 10 o'clock
http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1624193#post1624193
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated
BTW this thread and this member mariekonkin are awesome ...
I may just have to pull the motor, and see if my buddy, who is electrically inclined, can do the testing for me ?
Thanks again
Ed

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Update
This is fixed now
It seems I loosened this motor assembly ( My blunder ) I removed the wrong part originally and the motors arms were in the wrong place
I was able to re align where the pins on the motors arms are supposed to be and it is working correctly

I posted this in another thread on this board
I did remove the glove box and can see the motor moving in the wrong direction i.e. if I could just clock it ( in a counter clockwise direction (45 -90 degrees) I think It would be good to go ? Its running from 10 -2 o'clock and it need to be like 6 - 10 o'clock
http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1624193#post1624193
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated
BTW this thread and this member mariekonkin are awesome ...
I may just have to pull the motor, and see if my buddy, who is electrically inclined, can do the testing for me ?
Thanks again
Ed

·
Registered
45 Posts
Update
This is fixed now
It seems I loosened this motor assembly ( My blunder ) I removed the wrong part originally and the motors arms were in the wrong place
I was able to re align where the pins on the motors arms are supposed to be and it is working correctly
my car seems to be haveing the same issue. do you remember what position you had to adjust it to to get it working?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts