Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I’m new to the forum. I have a 2008 EX 4WD Element. I’ve been reading for a few months but this is my first post. Early this morning my catalytic converter was stolen. (So that’s why the dog was crazy at 4am) Ugh.
I live in Denver, CO. Apparently a few have been stolen in my neighborhood. Really?!
I’m filing a police report. I doubt this is covered by insurance. What the heck?! What do I do? Do I need a new exhaust or just a new catalytic converter? Found the hacksaw blade under the car. Nice.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just a catalytic converter replaced, it is not necessary to replace the entire exhaust system. I am very sorry to hear this happened to you, thieves suck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2007 EX AWD AT (two!)
1,317 Posts
If you have comprehensive insurance coverage, the might cover it. How much needs to be replaced depends on where they cut. An OEM converter now runs over $2000, so aftermarket is probably the way to go. A local exhaust shop should be able to help you out.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Also, any reputable exhaust shop can replace this as well as recommend a quality replacement brand. I have used aftermarket borla and magnaflo units with great success in past cars.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just a catalytic converter replaced, it is not necessary to replace the entire exhaust system. I am very sorry to hear this happened to you, thieves suck.

Thank you! They do suck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you have comprehensive insurance coverage, the might cover it. How much needs to be replaced depends on where they cut. An OEM converter now runs over $2000, so aftermarket is probably the way to go. A local exhaust shop should be able to help you out.
Thank you! I am feeling so upset right now. I think I do have comprehensive insurance. 🤞

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also, any reputable exhaust shop can replace this as well as recommend a quality replacement brand. I have used aftermarket borla and magnaflo units with great success in past cars.

Thank you for your advice. I am getting into the research now.

·
Registered
31 Posts
There are are a few recent threads here about it. There are pretty inexpensive ones you can buy.
However, would be nice to collaborate with hunting clubs to make catalytic thieves hunting season open. Win win situation. People who hunt would probably be interested to shoot some thieves while car owners will benefit. Some adds like ... you never know which car is being hunted would be so nice. They can also sell catalytic thieves hunting permits. I would totally buy one :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I haven't had to replace one, but I know thieves tend to repeat who they steal from. AerogenicsUSA sells a bolt on cover so it will never happen again. Much luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry for your loss. Elements get hit with cat burglars because of the vehicles high clearance. I installed a CatClamp over :five years now and no issues. On floor stands I was able to install in a couple of hours.

Not saying the CatClamp is a panacea, but seems to deter them amateurs. My significant other had her Odyssey parked next to me on street parking on south side of Chicago and her converter was partially cut at the neck. We welded it up and saved it.

I definitely recommend you look into a deterrent.

·
Registered
2003, 2wd
46 Posts
There are are a few recent threads here about it. There are pretty inexpensive ones you can buy.
However, would be nice to collaborate with hunting clubs to make catalytic thieves hunting season open. Win win situation. People who hunt would probably be interested to shoot some thieves while car owners will benefit. Some adds like ... you never know which car is being hunted would be so nice. They can also sell catalytic thieves hunting permits. I would totally buy one :)
That is extremely disturbing and not really funny. Nobody I know that hunts would be interested in shooting people. Why would anyone write this?

·
Registered
823 Posts
Find out if you have to pay an insurance deductible for a comprehensive claim and how much that deductible is before filing your claim.

It may or not be worth it if the deductible is close to or even more than paying for a new aftermarket catalytic on your own.

Another member here is having a hard time with his insurance and since he is already in a rental car at the insurance company's expense it is more complicated if he wants to cancel the claim and pay for his own repair.

In the meantime they are trying to write off his car as well but he says his car has some hail damage from before and a rebuilt title which is further complicating the claim.

You may not have such issues with your own insurance claim if you choose to go that route

·
Registered
08 Rootbeer Metallic SC
45 Posts
That is extremely disturbing and not really funny. Nobody I know that hunts would be interested in shooting people. Why would anyone write this?
Maybe just hunt them with BB guns, and yell "shame!" at them while they're running away.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Looks like cut stolen catalytics to me. I reported one. But to actually report as stolen Ebay needs police report. So stupid.
Could be stolen cat yes, but I also met someone local here who has been buying up used Elements as parts cars and of course removing the cats because of their obvious cash value but it is all legal as he has bought the vehicles from the owners and has the ownerships in hand. I believe he has one for sale on kijiji right now.

·
Registered
2010 black SC
37 Posts
Could be stolen cat yes, but I also met someone local here who has been buying up used Elements as parts cars and of course removing the cats because of their obvious cash value but it is all legal as he has bought the vehicles from the owners and has the ownerships in hand. I believe he has one for sale on kijiji right now.
@leto There is obviously a market for stolen cats, but as wannahonda points out, there are also legitimate salvage dealers. It hurts us all when we assume the worst in a situation. Be aware, but please don't assume that everyone is up to no good!

·
Registered
823 Posts
Millicent, let us know what your research turns up and if our members here can be of anymore help

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think that when you salvage something you try to remove it in some least damaging way, screw them off nicely since you have longer than 30 secs to do it. These on ebay look like all cut same way. Very fishy.

·
Registered
2010 black SC
37 Posts
@Millicent Sorry about your circumstances. Nice E! If I had a little more time I'd write up a summary of the available cat-protectors on the market. I encourage anyone else to post that if they feel so inclined. Anyway, if you look through the threads on this forum, you will find mention of several models, as well as the one I got which was done by a muffler shop--see Catalytic converter stolen
I don't know anything about Colorado, but in California only certain catalytic converters meet the standards for smog prevention, so you might want to check that. There's information in these forums about that as well.
Good luck!

·
Registered
823 Posts
I think that when you salvage something you try to remove it in some least damaging way, screw them off nicely since you have longer than 30 secs to do it. These on ebay look like all cut same way. Very fishy.
Yes thats what I would do to but some mechanics shops like one I dealt with in the past sold me a pair of used mufflers from a parts car they had on their hoist and could have easily unbolted it and then bolted it onto my car but they cut it off. In hind sight they were a lousy shop and the owner should have been a junk yard owner not a repair shop owner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts