Honda Element Owners Club banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2010 black SC
37 Posts
Maybe just hunt them with BB guns, and yell "shame!" at them while they're running away.
I am all in favor of finding ways to nudge people to have a change of heart and be responsible community members. However, shame has been shown to be worse than ineffective, because it just makes people feel bad about themselves, which if anything leads to more destructive behavior. When people are totally down, desperate, or ostracized, they are more likely to feel cynical rather than respectful. Sadly there will always be selfishness, greed, and psychopaths, but when people help each other out (and treat each other with respect rather than assuming the worst), it makes a difference. I'm not suggesting that we can do anything specific in the moment to change the circumstances or mindset of a particular person stealing a catalytic converter--that's a bigger-picture societal challenge. But see: Restorative Justice / Department of Corrections

·
Registered
2005 Element EX Automatic 4WD
53 Posts
Hi, I’m new to the forum. I have a 2008 EX 4WD Element. I’ve been reading for a few months but this is my first post. Early this morning my catalytic converter was stolen. (So that’s why the dog was crazy at 4am) Ugh.
I live in Denver, CO. Apparently a few have been stolen in my neighborhood. Really?!
I’m filing a police report. I doubt this is covered by insurance. What the heck?! What do I do? Do I need a new exhaust or just a new catalytic converter? Found the hacksaw blade under the car. Nice.

View attachment 208536 View attachment 208537 View attachment 208538
So sorry Mi
Hi, I’m new to the forum. I have a 2008 EX 4WD Element. I’ve been reading for a few months but this is my first post. Early this morning my catalytic converter was stolen. (So that’s why the dog was crazy at 4am) Ugh.
I live in Denver, CO. Apparently a few have been stolen in my neighborhood. Really?!
I’m filing a police report. I doubt this is covered by insurance. What the heck?! What do I do? Do I need a new exhaust or just a new catalytic converter? Found the hacksaw blade under the car. Nice.

View attachment 208536 View attachment 208537 View attachment 208538
So sorry Millicent. Elements are a prime target. Click the link that Leto provided and see the Ebay listing. That seller and has supposedly been on since 2017 but has ZERO ratings/comments. Obviously, a pirate. Get Cat Security after you replace convertor. I have talked to the owner of the company and the Sales Mgr. trying to determine which system is best and they have awesome customer service. Your insurance comp coverage will cover the theft less the deductible. We are in a small town in NW Arkansas and they are stealing them off of everything. The owner of Cat Security advised me to replace with OEM if stolen as they are better than aftermarket, but you can get a complete Magnaflow bolt on OEM replacement, CARB certified if needed, for under a grand, and a 48 state for under $800.
I wonder if anyone on the forum has thought about engraving the VIN on the converter? Is this possible and could it make a difference on convicting someone? Good luck.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I am all in favor of finding ways to nudge people to have a change of heart and be responsible community members. However, shame has been shown to be worse than ineffective, because it just makes people feel bad about themselves, which if anything leads to more destructive behavior. When people are totally down, desperate, or ostracized, they are more likely to feel cynical rather than respectful. Sadly there will always be selfishness, greed, and psychopaths, but when people help each other out (and treat each other with respect rather than assuming the worst), it makes a difference. I'm not suggesting that we can do anything specific in the moment to change the circumstances or mindset of a particular person stealing a catalytic converter--that's a bigger-picture societal challenge. But see: Restorative Justice / Department of Corrections
The Restorative Justice is interesting but overall we still need a top down, bigger picture solution. See my signature and look into that

·
Registered
823 Posts
Good point, does this Venus Project have a site?
It sure does

have a look at some of their youtube videos, especially the longer hour or hour and a half length ones

a couple of my favourite videos from them are actually a couple of their older videos

·
Registered
53 Posts
It sure does

have a look at some of their youtube videos, especially the longer hour or hour and a half length ones

a couple of my favourite videos from them are actually a couple of their older videos

Thanks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm totally for top down approach. Hence the similar show to the famous movie The Running Man shall be setup for catalytic thiefs. No deadly weapons rules.. semi-deadly. I bet the catalytic theft after such show will go down 10 fold.
These ebay listings are super suspicious and as a long time ebayer, I sense that guy may be selling your catalytics. And people there are bidding like crazy for the items which are likely stolen, used, and from ebay user with 0 feedback. Amazing.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm totally for top down approach. Hence the similar show to the famous movie The Running Man shall be setup for catalytic thiefs. No deadly weapons rules.. semi-deadly. I bet the catalytic theft after such show will go down 10 fold.
These ebay listings are super suspicious and as a long time ebayer, I sense that guy may be selling your catalytics. And people there are bidding like crazy for the items which are likely stolen, used, and from ebay user with 0 feedback. Amazing.
Leto, you said it. Someone has to do something to these criminals and the criminal junk dealers that buy these obviously stolen cats with no ID. Like you said, Ebay doesn't care. I would cancel Ebay but there are too many things for my E that are only available there. Just scored a pair of new speakers Pioneer OEM replacements from Canada. I think might be the only new ones in existence.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Looks like cut stolen catalytics to me. I reported one. But to actually report as stolen Ebay needs police report. So stupid.
Interesting. Location is "Seattle". And we've recently had stolen cat reports here, actually several of them, 3-4 miles from where I live. And I have two Elements.

Just installed Cat Security on one (fits great, btw), and ordered another one.

·
Registered
823 Posts
So sorry Mi

So sorry Millicent. Elements are a prime target. Click the link that Leto provided and see the Ebay listing. That seller and has supposedly been on since 2017 but has ZERO ratings/comments. Obviously, a pirate. Get Cat Security after you replace convertor. I have talked to the owner of the company and the Sales Mgr. trying to determine which system is best and they have awesome customer service. Your insurance comp coverage will cover the theft less the deductible. We are in a small town in NW Arkansas and they are stealing them off of everything. The owner of Cat Security advised me to replace with OEM if stolen as they are better than aftermarket, but you can get a complete Magnaflow bolt on OEM replacement, CARB certified if needed, for under a grand, and a 48 state for under $800.
I wonder if anyone on the forum has thought about engraving the VIN on the converter? Is this possible and could it make a difference on convicting someone? Good luck.
I like your idea of engraving the VIN on your catalytic

·
Registered
53 Posts
Interesting. Location is "Seattle". And we've recently had stolen cat reports here, actually several of them, 3-4 miles from where I live. And I have two Elements.

Just installed Cat Security on one (fits great, btw), and ordered another one.
I just got my comp coverage lowered from $500 to $100 and it only cost $2.50 month. I am ordering a Cat Security as soon as I find a muffler shop. Cat Security has no recommended shops here but I have one in mind. The Sales Director at Cat Security is trying to get a reputable shop here to start offering them and installing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Sorry for your loss. Elements get hit with cat burglars because of the vehicles high clearance. I installed a CatClamp over :five years now and no issues. On floor stands I was able to install in a couple of hours.

Not saying the CatClamp is a panacea, but seems to deter them amateurs. My significant other had her Odyssey parked next to me on street parking on south side of Chicago and her converter was partially cut at the neck. We welded it up and saved it.

I definitely recommend you look into a deterrent.
So sorry Mi

Thank you for the advice. My Element is in the shop now. Insurance is covering all except the deductible, like you said. Keeping my fingers crossed they will cover OEM. I found the YouTube of Eric the Car Guy installing the Cat Security device and I’m ordering one. They will install it for me at the shop. The theft is running rampant in the area and I really hope the deterrent works!

21 - 40 of 45 Posts