Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well,

After years of lusting, obsessing, coveting, fixating ...I finally found a 2005 "E" at a local dealer.
I picked it up from my independent Japanese vehicle mechanic yesterday...so I'm ALL IN..the Element World.

I slowly reading content from the Forums( thank you) & trying to not get buried with TMI ( Too much info)

Mechanic did a bunch of work,: replaced Shocks*Struts*Control arms*Tie Rod*Induction Svc*Fluids*CAT Shield by Miller Cat Corp. & more......

Three questions( for now)

1. Is there a way to combine Car Alarm FOB & ignition Key. Sales rep say no...:-(
2. Is there a license Plate Mount for the front bumper. My State( WA) requires a front plate...
3. Learned the catalytic converter is NOT stock & the CAT Shield I bought is secure...but rattles, any suggestions?

Element rides rough( 200k + miles).
Getting new Michelin tires( Costco) next week, which should help the ride somewhat.
Any thoughts for a smoother & more quiet ride. I know it will never be as smooth as our 2007 Pilot. Wheel Tire Car Automotive side marker light Vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Automotive side marker light Vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Automotive side marker light Vehicle

Plan on keeping my/our E for a few years & maybe train our nearly 13 year old, how to drive in it!

Thanks in advance,
Garth 馃槑

Registered
Hey there! Welcome to the Element family, I don't have much time but I wanted to link some reading material for you about combining a fob+key. Some have been successful with a Honda Ridgeline key while other opt for the Acura TL flip style key+fob.

Hope you the best in your E-ventures!

Registered
2005 m/t EX AWD
Well,

After years of lusting, obsessing, coveting, fixating ...I finally found a 2005 "E" at a local dealer.
I picked it up from my independent Japanese vehicle mechanic yesterday...so I'm ALL IN..the Element World.

I slowly reading content from the Forums( thank you) & trying to not get buried with TMI ( Too much info)

Mechanic did a bunch of work,: replaced Shocks*Struts*Control arms*Tie Rod*Induction Svc*Fluids*CAT Shield by Miller Cat Corp. & more......

Three questions( for now)

1. Is there a way to combine Car Alarm FOB & ignition Key. Sales rep say no...:-(
2. Is there a license Plate Mount for the front bumper. My State( WA) requires a front plate...
3. Learned the catalytic converter is NOT stock & the CAT Shield I bought is secure...but rattles, any suggestions?

Element rides rough( 200k + miles).
Getting new Michelin tires( Costco) next week, which should help the ride somewhat.
Any thoughts for a smoother & more quiet ride. I know it will never be as smooth as our 2007 Pilot. View attachment 215498 View attachment 215498 View attachment 215498

Plan on keeping my/our E for a few years & maybe train our nearly 13 year old, how to drive in it!

Thanks in advance,
Garth 馃槑
Your pinstripe looks so good!
My 05 is your twin. 馃憖鉂
Tire Wheel Cloud Sky Vehicle

Registered
2004 Fiji LX Ecamper 鈥淓llie,鈥 2008 Atomic EX 鈥淥therment,鈥 2003 Eternal EX Chop Top 鈥淐hop_E鈥
FBP is my favorite E color! Congrats on finding one! As to your questions:

1) K_ole3 is exactly right. Check for the threads about Ridgeline keys. The switch blade key route is new to me.

2) Yes there are OEM front plate brackets and aftermarket options. When I get back to my work computer I can look up the part number for the OEM one but it should be pretty easy to find with a google search.

3) Many times the cat shields need to be adjusted a bit after installation. Shouldn鈥檛 be too much of an issue. It鈥檚 great they even bothered to buy one before selling it. Our dealership surely wouldn鈥檛 do that!

You mention the rough ride. Elements, especially the early ones, are a bit one the rougher side to begin with. Add to that 200k miles of service and things start to wear out. Good tires and an alignment will likely make a big impact. Also check for worn suspension components like lower control arm bushings, sway bar end links and bar bushings, tie rods, etc. She鈥檚 getting old and sadly many of them were pretty neglected.

Best of luck and enjoy your beautiful blue toaster!

Registered
FBP is my favorite E color! Congrats on finding one! As to your questions:

1) K_ole3 is exactly right. Check for the threads about Ridgeline keys. The switch blade key route is new to me.

2) Yes there are OEM front plate brackets and aftermarket options. When I get back to my work computer I can look up the part number for the OEM one but it should be pretty easy to find with a google search.

3) Many times the cat shields need to be adjusted a bit after installation. Shouldn鈥檛 be too much of an issue. It鈥檚 great they even bothered to buy one before selling it. Our dealership surely wouldn鈥檛 do that!

You mention the rough ride. Elements, especially the early ones, are a bit one the rougher side to begin with. Add to that 200k miles of service and things start to wear out. Good tires and an alignment will likely make a big impact. Also check for worn suspension components like lower control arm bushings, sway bar end links and bar bushings, tie rods, etc. She鈥檚 getting old and sadly many of them were pretty neglected.

Best of luck and enjoy your beautiful blue toaster!
valve adjustment is a must

Registered
install a front grille mesh screen protector especially if your AC condensor is still good and not leaking, there are several posts in this forum on DIY protective screens made easily and cheap from materials from hardware store

Registered
1967 VW Bug
welcome Garth. My $0.02 on the front lic plate...it may be required, but it sure aint enforced. i've had it mentioned once in nearly 4 decades of driving, mostly without one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts