Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
BACK SEATS / CLEANING (my first post!)

I'm new to the forums, and in-fact, I'm just picking up my new Element tomorrow! It's actually a used 2003 with only 77,000 mi / 124,000 kms on it!

Here's the rub: The back seats are DIRRRTY.

The previous owners used the vehicle as a cargo van in the winter - without removing the back seats. They elected to simply fold them flat, and now there are salt stains all over the poor back seats.

Simply wiping them with a damp/wet cloth doesn't work, since the salt re-appears upon drying. The previous owner also tried a canned upholstery cleaner, which also didn't work (obviously).

I've read that there is a "remove and hose them" mentality towards these seats, but I'm skeptical that complete water saturation will ruin them. Does anyone want to clarify what my options are with these seats?

THANK YOU, and I intend on perusing these forums quite a bit as I familiarize myself with my new/old box of beauty.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Welcome to the forum coluch. First, I'm not too familiar with 03 model, but see if the seat covers are removable as in newer models, maybe you can take them out & toss them in washing machine or something.
Second, if the seats aren't smelly, maybe you can buy new seat covers. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Welcome aboard...you can also watch the 4-Sale forum for new seats

·
Registered
6,468 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Welcome to the EOC, Coluch! :)

Another member, Speedpeddler, was selling his rear seats from a previous E that got into an accident. I don't recall any changes to the rear seats so they should fit. The color trim may not match the front seats or the rest of the interior, but you'll have some decent seats. It could be worth looking into.

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54544

·
Registered
831 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. There are a number of post about were to buy seat covers if your efforts to clean your seats dose not work out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for all of the suggestions everyone! Wow! I'm very glad that I came here.

The Element is getting a new windshield today, emissions test and certification tomorrow, but I will definitely be inspecting the seats when I get it back. Removable covers (that will clean in the wash) are the ideal solution obviously.

I was also planning to keep an eye on the local wrecking yards for Elements that went before their time.

I'll post my resolution when I have one. Dealing with insurance quotes right now - ugh.

~j!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts