Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone. great forum. i got rearended last week and i am now looking to get a new (used) vehicle. the element has always interested me. a local dealer has a used one. an '03 EX 5 speed with 135,000 miles on it.

i was wondering if anyone here has the same one, if anyone has 135,000 miles on theirs and should that be a concern to me. they want a little over $8000 for it. i haven't driven it yet and i don't know too much about elements. i know i could google it, but i figured a forum dedicated to the vehicle and used by actual owners would be a better source. thanks in advance!

joe

·
1,049 Posts

If the E has been maintained and not abused then 135k is nothing. One of my Es has almost 150k and still runs like the day we drove her off the lot.

I expect to see 300k out of my Es.

BTW the one E with 150k is a 2004.

As for the 8k price...is that a Honda dealer asking that?

Is it a 4wd or 2wd?

For a 4wd 03 EX with 135k, kelly blue book says 5k - 10k in excellent condition.

I hope that helps.

Remember if the dealer is selling there is always haggle room.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply. it's an awd. it's not a honda dealer, it's a used car lot. i'm guessing one of those places that buys their vehicles at auction.

joe

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i just checked my email and i have the carfax, it checks out all good. the element is orange. it also has the roof rack installed. one owner. how much lower would you suggest? and thanks for the tips.

joe

·
1,049 Posts

Hard to say. I know one thing...when talking to the "salesmen" always act like you don't really like the vehicle and you could careless one way or the other if you buy it or not. Also point out EVER flaw you see in the vehicle IE paint scratches, interior scratches or scuffs....you get the idea.

BTW what state are you in. Please take a moment and fill in your profile.

Also, this Element is for sale ---> Clickity clickity

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks again. i'm in ohio, on the border with wv. the element in your link is the same color, too bad it's in colorado. it's christmas week and i will be pretty busy, but i am hoping to maybe stop and drive this thing tomorrow or tuesday if possible.

also, i know they are two totally different cars, but my other choice to replace my wrecked car is a vw new beetle. the wrecked car is a ford focus zx3. i hated that car from the first week i had it, but the situation at the time i bought it never left me much choice. i was driving pretty far for work on a daily basis, i had to get a new car that week and it was in my price range, i basically made the mistake of buying a car at the first lot i went to. i had that thing for 6 years, it never gave me any problems, but it was one of the most uncomfortable cars i have ever ridden in. i have always liked the looks of the element and the vw. i know honda makes reliable cars, i have owned a civic and an accord in the past. a friend of mine has only ever driven vw's and has never had any issues with those.

what i like about the vw is that it doesn't look like every other car, i am single and don't need a lot of room in a car.

the element i like the look of it, and i like all the room it offers. i know that's a contradiction, just pointing out that at this point and for this vehicle purchase, there is no "need" for any specific type of car. insurance will cover at least half of the cost of this particular element and i can probably pay off the balance in a year. i'm hoping to get at least 3-4 years out of whatever i get. i'm 35 and have decided to go back to college and get a different degree, which will take me around 3 years to do.

i don't know if any of that helps, but i thought i would share. thanks again.

·
Registered
191 Posts
The two you are considering are very different. You'll get better mileage with the VW. Element has much more room. If maintained properly Honda engines will last a long time. 8K seems in the range to me for an '03 flash cash around 6K and see if they bite. If you hold any value for Consumer reports, the Element is rated much better than average in all area's in all years except for '06 where electrical was just better than average.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I'd stay away from the Beetle. VW has had major quality control issues with the Beetles (built in Mexico). Lots of major and minor (expensive) repairs reported. Do a search on that Vdub and you'll find lots of horror stories. For the E, wouldn't hurt to ask if you can take it to an Indy mechanic for an inspection. Cost you a half-hour to an hour's labor charge, but well worth it to find any flaws or maintenance issues that need to be addressed - that could/would impact the price. We did that on a used E my son was looking at, and found bad struts and bent suspension components that would have been almost $2,000 to repair. :shock:
Good luck at College. Great time to be going back (with the economy bad). Have a Son doing the same thing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts