Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Hello, I purchased my 2004 EX about three months ago and when I bought it some of the dash lights were not working. I finally found time to look in the service manual I bought to see what needed to be done. Well, I took it apart as instructed and then put it all back together. Then I moved to the passenger side and took the glove box out so I could replace the two cabin filters.
Now the Element won't start but I get several relay clicks from the glove box area as well as the immobility key flashing. Sometimes everything looks ok but there is just a whirling sound when I turn the key. Other times every thing is flashing and clicking.
I've read similar stories on this web site and others and I've tried disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes - that made everything look normal until I turned the key. I have tried the reset, headlights on/off, key in II position sequence. I've checked the fuses. The battery registers as fully charged.
I'm SOL at the moment and I really need my car. I asked the local dealer for help but all they offered was to "go over" the car if I had it towed. They could not give me a cost estimate but since I've been laid off money is a prime concern.
Any one have a clue as to what has happened? Up until I decided to replace the bulbs so I could actually see the instruments at night this Element has been a dependable vehicle and a joy to drive.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Welcome to the club and fill out you profile when you get a chance so we know what year and trans ect. What you are describing sounds like the battery is just not up to starting and have you tried to jump start it even though it reads ok? That would be a start. Other then that without seeing it it would be a guess.:)

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
From your screen name I gather your in Vermont. Just how cold is it? It may be that the oil in the Element is the wrong weight. It could be just to thick to allow the engine to turn over.
Or it may be that the Battery is week. I would give jumping it a shot first. That May work in both cases. Do you know what weight oil is in it? If it's 20w30 or 20w40 that may be the cause. It should be 0w20 or 5w20.

Dom

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Yeah, try jump starting. Maybe the battery got run down a bit when you were working on the dash lights.

It doesn't take much to run down a factory battery, especially once they are a few years old. Is the battery orig? If so it is prolly due for replacement anyway.

Good luck.

Will

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's hoping!

Thanks for the suggestions on my Element. The battery was in the car when I bought it 3 months ago and has never given a hint of a problem. It's a DieHard but I have no idea about age. It is -8 degrees here this morning but it should be a bit warmer in the garage so as soon as I get bundled up I'm going to try jump starting the Element. I will let you know if this works - sure hope it's this simple.:)
Thanks!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions on my Element. The battery was in the car when I bought it 3 months ago and has never given a hint of a problem. It's a DieHard but I have no idea about age. It is -8 degrees here this morning but it should be a bit warmer in the garage so as soon as I get bundled up I'm going to try jump starting the Element. I will let you know if this works - sure hope it's this simple.:)
Thanks!
Hey we're down here in Pawlet and I just had to jump start my neighbors car... that is probably it. If you need a new battery call the guys at Interstate in Rutland. Best prices around, if you don't mind going into the "Gut".
Keep us updated and welcome!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great Big Thanks!

To all who responded to my plea for help - thank you so much! It was the battery! It was only a year old according to the sticker on the side. I took it back to Sears but since i was not the original buyer/owner when it was installed in the Element I could not take advantage of the 3 year warranty.

But, with a new battery my Element is up and going again. It's so comforting to know that should I need help again there is a group of caring individuals out there willing to take the time to offer his/her expertise to get the problem solved.

Again Thanks!!:grin:

·
Registered
284 Posts
Enhancing your resume

Welcome Vermonter. Glad to hear it was the battery, an easy fix. Have to admit worrying when you talked about tearing apart the dash...lots to go wrong there, solvable only through tedious wire-tracing.

Since you seem to have some comfort around monkey-wrenching, check your oil as previous poster notes. Honda is pretty adamant we use 5W20, but many dealers and general auto shops seem to ignore this. Honda's engineers designed our engines to run on sewing-machine oil (it's very thin compared to old-school 10W30), you could do your car real harm with the wrong oil.

FWIW, you might want to add E-ownership on your job-hunting resume. I got my E back in '04, in part to upgrade my professional image, and shortly after accepted my current job. Here's hoping that E-ownership (which clearly demonstrates you are hard-working, value-conscious and frugal but insist on top quality and functionality) works as well for you, too!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts