Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Problem:

I recently put 40 series tires on my SC, its been about 2 weeks.. Now when I apply the brakes, I hear a "clunk" noise on the drivers side tire. It sounds like a tie rod, balljoint, or some sort of suspension bushing that is loose. Does anyone know if the tire differences would effect this? I was going to take it up to the local H dealership, but want to see if there are any recommendations first.

Thanks guys!

Jen

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
help! HeLp! hElP! HELP! :(:(:( my baby E is broken and it breaks my hearttt.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Have you re-tightened the lugs ?

Dom

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
done&done :(

·
Moderator Eh?
12,107 Posts
How long after you changed tires did the noise appear? Did you changes rims are well or just tires? Are the tires rubbing at all?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How long after you changed tires did the noise appear? Did you changes rims are well or just tires? Are the tires rubbing at all?
changed the tires 2 wks ago, just got 40 series instead of 55 on the same stock rims. no rub, bc i havent put the coilovers on yet. they did an allignment as well. sooo idk :(:(:(

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yesterday :( sooo like 1 1/2 wks later.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Gnarly little problem. You say the noise happens on braking? Check your caliper bolts, and as you mentioned, the tie rods.

I've had that noise when a disc slipped on its retainer. Worth a look (just pull wheel and ensure small screw near stud holes in disc is tight. if it's loose you need a new screw...but then, don't we all).

Other ideas? Hmm, did you change lug bolts? Maybe not seating right in wheel? Crap in/on caliper, fubared from something while you had wheels off (dunno, just dreaming up ideas here), or...a totally unrelated loosening or wearing of some suspension part?

Let us know how it comes out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Maybe read that

Try and replace your rear sway bar links, i have done several with the same noise complaint and it has fixed all of them, hopfully this will work for you, and they are reasonably priced.:)

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53649&highlight=clunk

and do a forum wide search for "clunk" "thump" whatever. You say driver side under braking and they say passenger side over bumps, but the bushings are on both sides and one or the other could go out and who knows about the bump or brake. If you brake hard enough the weight load does shift.......does it clunk even when you lightly brake?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts