Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else had this problem or have a solution?

I had placed a dragonfly, so cute, on my console which is held in place by a suction cup. When i took it off to dust the console, it took off a layer of the sparkly paint with it!!!! :cry:

Now I have a small ring of missing paint, about 3/4" in diameter on top of the console. :cry: What do I do now?

HELP!!!!! please....

·
Registered
142 Posts
...there's no ready solution short of replacing the trim.

I would inquire with the dealer about having a new piece installed, free of charge. Though not a warranty issue, the finish could -- and should -- be reasonably expected to withstand a 3/4" vinyl suction cup.

Best luck!

:wink:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Couldn't hurt to ask. Will report back. In the meantime and in case the dealer says no dice, if anyone else has any bright ideas, they're welcome!

·
Registered
504 Posts
Sorry to hear about the paint, but thanks for the important info. I was thinking about a way to mount the XM radio Delphi receiver to the dash and one thought was to use a suction cup on the same area.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I would like to see a pic of what your talking about if ya got the time.

·
Registered
220 Posts
There is a good chance that your local dealer can warranty this piece. I wouldn't say it's a guarantee, but I would take the E into your local dealer and see if they can help. I know this is a little vague, but it would mainly be up to Honda to determine if the problem was a defective piece or the customer's fault.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanx, i'll try that.

·
Registered
160 Posts
LaJolla, here you go.

Definitely sucks! My hula girl is stuck on the dash with the double sided adhesive. I don't even want to think about what will happen if I remove her.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanx for making the pic more accessible.

I avoided the adhesive velcro because I didn't want to deal with the glue residue. I thought this would be safer. So, so wrong.

·
Registered
957 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
you're the best! :D

thanx for finding that for me. i'll feel better armed when i go in and 'deal' with the dealer tomorrow!

·
Registered
311 Posts
[quote:2b12e63d43="LaJollaElement"]I'm putting this everywhere becuase I want everyone to know...

I used a suction cup to hold a very small toy on the console and when I removed it to wipe down the console, i also ended up removing a layer of the sparkly paint. now I have a 3/4" diameter ring on the top of my console.

The pic is on the "other" site because i don't have a website or space:

http://www.hondaelement.org/showthread.php?

s=&postid=17345#post17345[/quote:2b12e63d43]

Thanks for the heads up on this. I was at the craft store looking for suction cups to put a model car "woody" on my console. After seeing what happened to you I certainly won't do it now.

LittleDogBox
Arlingon, Va.

·
Registered
27 Posts
and tell the dealer it was a radar detector instead of a butterfly, sounds more manly, that is if you are man, no offense if u are a woman or if thats your thing...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanx to everyone for your empathy!

i took it to the dealer today and EVERYONE seemed surprised that the paint could come off that easily. i showed them the offending suction cup and they all shook their heads.

the service guys said that it should be no problem to replace the console under warranty. they are ordering the part and will let me know when it comes in. and replace it for free.

needless to say, i'm so relieved. i'm now hanging the dragonfly sans suction cup from the rear view mirror.

the service manager also pointed out that if you leave something on the console over time that the paint will fade differently. so even if you don't have the paint come off, you'd end up having a dark spot where the item was. so, another thing to consider...

will report when the console has been switched out!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i took it to the dealer today and EVERYONE seemed surprised that the paint could come off that easily. i showed them the offending suction cup and they all shook their heads.

the service guys said that it should be no problem to replace the console under warranty. they are ordering the part and will let me know when it comes in. and replace it for free.

needless to say, i'm so relieved. i'm now hanging the dragonfly sans suction cup from the rear view mirror.

the service manager also pointed out that if you leave something on the console over time that the paint will fade differently. so even if you don't have the paint come off, you'd end up having a dark spot where the item was. so, another thing to consider...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.