Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driver's side rear door (suicide door) will not open. When attempting to open it, It does un-latch from the top but not the bottom.

Background: Friend and I were loading the car, she closed the door hard but not unusually so as she was rushing to get out of the rain. A minute later I go to that side of the E to open the door and it will not open. I don't know if something got caught, if it did it is not visible.

Any ideas on getting this door open?

I thought I would try EOC before I take my E to the dealer and they wipe out my life savings with an exhorbitant bill for opening this door.

Thanks in adavance.

-g

·
Registered
5,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh.ma.gawd!

Thanks for the reply but that is beyond my patience and skill level. I am married to a mechanical engineer but so far that hasn't amounted to a hill of beans for fixing my E.

Just got off phone with Honda of Bowie: $465 (not incl. tax) to install a new synchronized pully. Apparently that pully broke. The part isn't in the area, it has to overnight from California. Ugh!

The other day hubby said my next car should be a Mini "you'd look good in that," he said. Maybe I should go Mini-shopping :-(

-g

P.S. That last comment was said in a moment of despondency over the cost. I love my E. It'll be with me for-EVAAAAAH!

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,973 Posts
Similar thread/post:
http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46762&highlight=back+door
http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=188755&postcount=3

You can get the same symptoms if the lower strike plate jams the lock, or the lower cable detaches.

If they replaced the control assembly plus both cables, it would be $60 in parts, the same if just the lower lock assembly and cable were replaced. That leaves $400 for labor.

p.s. Tell your husband that maybe you'd look better sitting next to a mechanic who charges $100/hour.
____________________________________________________________________________________________
A former "mechanical" engineer who can't, or won't, work with his hands is either a manager or a paper jockey.

psschmied
Engineer

·
Registered
5,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you everyone for answering.

After they honestly got in the door and looked, a bolt to hold the pulley at some point had fallen off. So a new bolt was put on and I was charged the $99.95 diagnostic fee.

-g

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.