Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new Sunset Orange EX 4WD on order, but I'm becoming more and more concerned about the Element.

I have read tons of info, ie reviews, owner reports etc, etc, etc and I still love the Element, BUT, I'm growing rather concerned over some of the problems I've read here from other owners.

Notably, there still seems to be uncertainty about the plastic fenders scratching, problems with the cd players skipping, problems with the drivers seat rocking, problems with the rear floor bubbling and problems with the locks to name a few.

Further, I'm reading that the intial supply was predominately pre-sold, but that there are now dealers with several Elements just sitting on the lot. Has the frenzy started to fade already?

I'm also reading that their are engine concerns since apparently Honda used the Accord engine in lieu of the CRV engine.

With this thing being on the market for such a short time, there seems to be an awful lot of things wrong with it that are popping up a little too soon. I wonder what else will come up in the next six months or so.

There are a number of people that are beginning to believe this model for Honda may have a short life span. I don't want to get stuck with something that I can't unload later.

I feel certain this vehicle will have some major improvements in next years model, but I need a vehicle now.

I'm beginning to wonder if the CRV isn't a safer bet.

What are your thoughts?

My Element has arrived and I'm slated to pick it up Tuesday.

Thanks,
Goober

·
Registered
249 Posts
You've brought us some food for thought. I don't have my Element yet so I can't be much help to you. But when you do get a response from the great people on this site, make sure you separate the ones who are blinded by love and those who are objective....Butch

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Hey Goober, honestly yours is the first I have heard with such a laundry list of problems with the Elements. I have had mine for a week (which is hardly long enough to be totally clear on any issues).

With anything you buy (especially when it is fresh & new like the Element) it is a gamble.

If you are looking for straight up reliable, dependable, proven track record, etc, vehicle go with the CRV. The CRV is awesome, I was considering it before I had a chance to read more ont he Element & Fell head over heals in Love! The ride is smooth and extremely car like with good umph and more... The only issues I had was I hated the seat fabric, the style a little boring for me, and I loved sooo much on the Element it was no contest, for me.

Go with the CRV and give the Element a few years to iron out any wrinkles, then you always have the option if it has truly proven itself. It is a gamble, and if you are not up for it, really go with the CRV! You will NOT be disappointed!

I do love my Element.. I really, really Do!

·
Registered
608 Posts
This is the 1st I have heard of so many problems as well.

I have had mine since the 14th of Jan, and have had no problems with anything other than the dealer getting in some options I ordered.

We looked at both the Element and the CRV. We went with the Element for all sorts of reasons. It had everything we wanted either in it, or that were available for it. We only needed 4 seats, and wanted something that was durable. We just loved the interior of the Element, the styling of it, etc.

The CRV was nice, but we liked the Element so much better.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
RML how long for your accessories, it has been over a week for me.. and still not in, how about you how long did it take for your extras?

Glad you love yours too, mine has been with me a week yesterday! I love it more & more everyday, too wonderful!

Goober, can you give us more details on these bad things you have heard, who from and such.. or was it one person.. it just really is surprising!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Gypsytda,

Well, most were in stock, or they were able to get within a day or 2. I am still waiting for the Cabana tent poles (no big deal, I don't need them till warm weather), and the switch panel trim. I would love to get the switch panel trim in, and installed, but I have to wait a bit longer. Items like the bungee, all season floor mats, 8 disc cd changer, privacy panels, cabana, etc were all in stock.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Let me know what the switch panel trim is like, and if you can take a photo, i had nothing to go by so i skipped on that.. but I am curious..

Yeah it has been over a week for me, err.. but the dealer is great. They will even pick up my vehicle and bring me one to use till mine is ready, so that is really nice (especially since they are like an hour away).

I would love to hear how things continue to go for you. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
RML yeah silly I knew WHAT it was, I just did not know what it would look like, how nice etc.. So I see on that site (by the instructions) they are essentially stick-ons.. very, very easy.. that is what I expected so that is cool!

I would love to see yours when you get em, would you take some photos, pllleeeaaassseee.. thank you!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Gypsytda,

Not a problem. I will get some pics once I wash off the road trip dirt. Hope to this week. Will post pics of the switch panel trim if and when it gets in to the dealer.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
So you are having the dealer "Stick on" this trim, yikes, they seriously over charge for the items (like this) I would to hate to see what they charge to (Stick on) install this item!

I ordered the switch trim from that h-and-a site, nice price, and once it warms up i can do it myself.. they suggest to do it when it is at least 60 degrees on the instructions..

i will look forward to your pix, ciao!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Gypsytda,

Yeah, I got it from the dealer. For the most part, I went with the dealer for anything that involved drilling, or taking pieces off.

The dealer thru in the trim, so I figured why not. When we were adding up the options, I got a few for free. The trim was one of them.

The things like the fog lights, cd changer, etc, it was just easier to let the dealer do it.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
i agree 100% I am glad it was a toss in, I would have to scream if you had them do it, smiles!

I also had some of the other items (electrical or drilling) done by my dealer too, also so if there is a problem it is covered under warranty etc. you know covering my butt!!

·
Registered
608 Posts
With the 3 year 36,000 mile warranty bumper to bumper, it was better to let the dealer work on some things.

Also, with it being brand new, no one has been working on it, yet. So I thought that the best thing was let the dealer do it. That way, any problems, the dealer had to make them good.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Yup you got it... good job! Some things just are not worth the hassle nor worth the mistakes.

Good move! :D

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have only had my Element for a week so I can't report any problems but I look to Honda's track record which is one of the best in the business.

The engine in the E is the same 2.4L as in the CRV I believe. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. Honda has been making the VTECH for some time now and again is one of the most reliable on record. Just read any consumer reports review from the last five years. Don't trust JD Power they only review items if the company pays for it.

I will add to these boards with any problems that pop up.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Very cool Comments.. szacherau (and a cool name too)

Yeah I also have no issue at all with Honda's relilablity, dependability & history.. They really kick butt!

Can't beat a Honda!

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have been a Honda fan for some time. I had a 93 Civic Si for 8 years, put 160,000 miles on it. I lived in NJ, AZ and VA while owning it so it drove across the usa several times. The most expensive thing I ever had to replace was the clutch at 140,000. The rest was all normal upkeep.

I should clear up my statement about JD Power. The reason you should take JD's statements with a grain of salt is this as follows. If 5 companies make an Element like vehicle they go to each one and say "We want to test your car. Gives us one and $xx,xxx so we can do it". Companies 1, 2, and 3 feel it is worth it and say yes. 4 and 5 do not. Then JD Power test the three and rates company 2's the best in class. Company 4 or 5 could beats company 2's pants off but we will never know.

A group like Consumer Reports buys the car from the dealer like you or I and reports on it merits and a producers past record.

Enjoy your Element!

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
PLUS along with Consumer Reports own review of the vehicle.. the History reports are from consumers themselves.

Anyone who subscribes to Consumer reports gets annual surveys to fill out, they report on every kind of item, and cars of course.. with the cars it includes the year, make and model... and a whole detailed list to rate about the car..

So with Consumer Reports you get more than their review you get a broad public/consumer view of the vehicles! (and more).

·
Registered
13 Posts
test drove crv did not like it!!!!!!!on east coast it is made in UK....test drove element and I like it...better everything.......pickup ride steering...

1 - 20 of 46 Posts