Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a rattle underneath my car that is driving me crazy! It's speed related (not rpm related). It sounds like it's coming from directly underneath the passenger seat. It's loud inside and out, sounds like some thin metal rattling. It's not the exhaust itself because i can't duplicate the sound by revving or or shaking the exhaust. It's pretty much a constant rattle while the car is moving over 20mph. I'm thinking something is rattling against the underside of the car since it's loud inside the cabin but there's not too much located under the passenger seat. There is a heat shield attached to the car (not the exhaust) under the passenger side floor board, i'm thinking of taking it off to see if thats the source but i'm not sure if taking that off is dangerous or not. I've bent that shield a bit to see if i could get it to stop but it hasn't and i can't tell if it has helped at all. It's so annoying, i hate when people look over because it sounds like i'm driving a hoopty :roll:

Also, i'm hearing a clunk over bumps when i'm doing 5mph or so, i'm thinking it's the rear sway bar bushings..... am i on the right track?

Thanks for any ideas, it's driving me insane.....
Steve

·
Registered
72 Posts
If it is loud enough for people next to you to hear then I would guess it is exhaust related. I think the exhaust runs up the right hand side of the Element. I would have your local shop check the whole exhaust all the way to the headers to see if one of the sections has come loose.

As far as the loud "clicks" as you roll over bumps, I am having similar issues up front with my "new" '06 I just got a few weeks ago. I remember them in the '05 I had before that but they were always up front.

I'm not much help on either issue but maybe some others will reply too.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts