Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My E is OK but this has happened three times in a row on my wifes 2001 CRV when she fills the gas tank. At first I though it was the pump, but she says she has been to different gas stations and pumps and it has happened at all of them. What causes this? Can I fix this myself or do I need to go to the dealer? :confused:

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I would suggest that you take it the next time it needs a fill up. Sounds as if she is not putting the nozzle in the filler neck far enough!!!!!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That thought popped in my head also. The last time it happened ( yesterday ), that was the first thing I had asked. She swears the nozzle was in all the way. I agree though that I should take it the next time it needs a fill-up.

Would a clogged vent tube or overflow tube cause this?

·
Registered
625 Posts
It didn't happen because your wife is a woman - does she know you're posting on car forums implying such things?! It happened to me twice last month with our 2004 CRV - both days it was VERY hot out, and it seemed to me it had something to do with the heat/humidity.

Both times, it didn't just overflow alittle - this was the first click, with the gas handle all the way in. It didn't just dribble alittle, it was pouring out for like a minute - a good steady dribble that made a puddle about 2 feet in diameter. So, if it's been hot, thats who I would blame - that and perhaps the CRV itself as I have never EVER seen anything like that before in all my 29 years, haha.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No she doesn't know I am posting. :roll: I didn't believe her the first time it happened. I made a few suggestions and left it at that. Now after the last two times I have asked her the same questions and a few more.

I have never seen this happen in any car I have ever had either ( driving 23 years ). As for the heat / humidity, it was 80 degrees and the humidity wasn't high. I did a search on the internet and found few postings. Most are on other cars ( Fords......mostly) and there is mention of a clogged vent or overflow tub that runs along the filler neck to the tank. I may take a peak at that. I think I will do the next fillup. If it happens to me, then I will ask the dealer to look at it.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HONDA TECH - THANKS FOR YOUR RESPONSE.

When this first happened, I thought about the gas station nozzle not working correctly also. I told her to go to another gas station next time or at least try another pump. She says she has been to three different stations. Perhaps your theory on slowing the feed for the gas fill rate may explain why all of a sudden there is a problem. I filled this same car up over 5 weeks ago on a long trip and had no issues. Of course this station is over 270 miles from my home away and away from the city.

Hopefully there is no damage being done by all of this. :confused: I wlll fill it myself next time and make a post. Thanks again to everyone!

·
Registered
242 Posts
I had this happen to me in my E. I was cleaning the passenger side of the windshield when i heard the splashing. Not a good sound!

Ever try to see how fast you can run around you E with a squeegee in your hand and not look like a jack ass?? I know how fast i can go now.

A conversation with the attendant revealed that they had just changed the nozels on the pumps and since then it has happend on all of the 4 pumps.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmmmm....Thats interesting. Hasn't happened to me yet, just the wife....I'll have to pay attention during the next fillup! I'll squegee after I'm done filling up so I don't do the same....Funny though :p

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
That thought popped in my head also. The last time it happened ( yesterday ), that was the first thing I had asked. She swears the nozzle was in all the way.
You might want to watch and see what her definition of "in all the way" is. It might not be what you would think of. To her, "in all the way" may mean "in far enough that it probably won't fall out." Just a thought.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I've had this happen twice in my E within a few weeks of each other. Each time, the pump was on its slowest setting, so I don't do that anymore. The attendants did say they were seeing a lot more of that at the time, so I'd say the pump speeds being lowered recently is probably an extremely credible theory. I've also had this happen once when I had my Nissan truck and once with my old Mercury.

So, just a thought. Maybe it isn't her definition of proper insertion, but his desire to get it over quickly.:p

·
Registered
2004 Honda CRV
1 Posts
You might want to watch and see what her definition of "in all the way" is. It might not be what you would think of. To her, "in all the way" may mean "in far enough that it probably won't fall out." Just a thought.
Though this thread is several years ago, it is important repeatedly the remark is made this is somehow a problem with the woman. Note people it is very gender specific. Also note the person said they'd only would take it in to a shop if it happened to them, a man. Seriously people, I know cars better than many men and a hell of a lot better than many many dealers wished I did when I needed a replacement after a deer totalled my van. A van by the way my husband bought and chose to conveniently not share as it almost ended in a deadly crash for our daughter. You know ...another woman and that's why she knew enough to hit the breaks instead of hitting it full force. We've also had overflow 2 times in a month, 2 different drivers, 2 different cities hours apart. Both times the pump clicked off so either it's the pumpps or a defect in the car. No gender issues. I've been driving for more than 30 years and this is an issue that was common many many years ago with old pumps. New pumps were supposed to eliminate that

·
Registered
222 Posts
Though this thread is several years ago, it is important repeatedly the remark is made this is somehow a problem with the woman. Note people it is very gender specific. Also note the person said they'd only would take it in to a shop if it happened to them, a man. Seriously people, I know cars better than many men and a hell of a lot better than many many dealers wished I did when I needed a replacement after a deer totalled my van. A van by the way my husband bought and chose to conveniently not share as it almost ended in a deadly crash for our daughter. You know ...another woman and that's why she knew enough to hit the breaks instead of hitting it full force. We've also had overflow 2 times in a month, 2 different drivers, 2 different cities hours apart. Both times the pump clicked off so either it's the pumpps or a defect in the car. No gender issues. I've been driving for more than 30 years and this is an issue that was common many many years ago with old pumps. New pumps were supposed to eliminate that
The Woke Mob has arrived.
Better clean up our act or she'll have us removed for hate speech.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts