Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a pretty 07 Element ex with only 85k. at a scummy big dealer.The car fax showed it had valve cover gaskets repaired at about 70k, a torque converter done at 34k and some fuel intake thing around 20k. It also showed it was aligned 3 times. Too me, it seems like those were some major repairs for that low of miles?? The dealer is trying to play games with fees and BS already. The price out the door $10300.. I am ready to pull the plug on the deal. But I like the car. sigh..Are these repairs normal for these cars? Thanks in advance..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I found a pretty 07 Element ex with only 85k. at a scummy big dealer.The car fax showed it had valve cover gaskets repaired at about 70k, a torque converter done at 34k and some fuel intake thing around 20k. It also showed it was aligned 3 times. To me, it seems like those were some major repairs for that low of miles?? The dealer is trying to play games with fees and BS already. I am ready to pull the plug on the deal. But I like the car. sigh..Are these repairs normal for these cars at this mileage? Thanks in advance..
Update.. never mind pulled the plug on the deal. Cant get past the dealer scams and and extra $1000 in fees. Lithia dealers are shady AF.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sounds like it's probably for the best to walk away from that. I'm currently trying to replace my Element that got totaled when I was hit by a drunk driver and the market for them is really discouraging. I'm wondering if it's time to move on to something else. I was going to say that it's probably worth it to take it to a reputable mechanic to have it checked over--that's what I'm planning to do with whatever it is that I settle on. I can say that in the nearly 200k miles I had mine for outside of maintenance, the only repairs were due to theft of the catalytic converter, and I had just replaced the front struts which were well-worn prior to the accident. So those repairs all sound like red flags to me.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like it's probably for the best to walk away from that. I'm currently trying to replace my Element that got totaled when I was hit by a drunk driver and the market for them is really discouraging. I'm wondering if it's time to move on to something else. I was going to say that it's probably worth it to take it to a reputable mechanic to have it checked over--that's what I'm planning to do with whatever it is that I settle on. I can say that in the nearly 200k miles I had mine for outside of maintenance, the only repairs were due to theft of the catalytic converter, and I had just replaced the front struts which were well-worn prior to the accident. So those repairs all sound like red flags to me.

Good luck.
I am so sorry about the loss of you car. I sure hope you find another good one. The elements are super hard to find.I wish honda would put out a new hybrid Element. That would be awesome. I think I am moving on myself to either a older 2007ish lexus rx or 2011 Honda Pilot. My situation was the classic case of girl at the big town dealership without her husband. I was almost a sucker for a shiny orange paint job lol. I think the car might of had a prior accident?? I have discovered sometimes theres a lag time of over a yr that accidents wont even show up on a car fax. Just like you said the repairs seem way off for 85k wth.. Plus Lithia of Portland was trying to tell me I couldnt opt out of $500 clear coat treatment on a 13 yr old car. They told me one price of the phone drive 5 hours the price went up over $1000 when I get there. Bastards. So I am moving on. Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element Sunset Orange Pearl 2WD Automatic 135K Miles I Love It!
1,103 Posts
Update.. never mind pulled the plug on the deal. Cant get past the dealer scams and and extra $1000 in fees. Lithia dealers are shady AF.
Sounds like you did the right thing. That price sounded very high as well; regardless of where you live. Unless it was exactly what you wanted, or was some rare combination (like an SC with 5 speed manual); well, even then that price was too high!

It's true, Elements are hard to find on the used car market; but they are not THAT hard to find! I'm sure you could find a better deal if you are patient. Took me about a year and 3 months to find what I wanted at a very good deal.

Good things come to those who wait! : - )

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like you did the right thing. That price sounded very high as well; regardless of where you live. Unless it was exactly what you wanted, or was some rare combination (like an SC with 5 speed manual); well, even then that price was too high!

It's true, Elements are hard to find on the used car market; but they are not THAT hard to find! I'm sure you could find a better deal if you are patient. Took me about a year and 3 months to find what I wanted at a very good deal.

Good things come to those who wait! : - )
I agree the prices they are asking and getting here in Oregon is getting really high and stupid. Sad truth, that price point $9900 for a super clean E with 85k is a bargain here. It was too good to be true actually.The average price I see for a lower mileage E with nice rims and tires, no rips, etc, is closer to 12k or higher! So anyone with a low mile E made a good investment and could flip it and make good $ to car buyers here. LOL

·
Registered
33 Posts
Smart move that you walked from that one. I live in Minnesota and they aren't too hard to find, and some fair prices. I got another 2006 with 132,000 miles, but I was willing to get it instead of lower miles because the owner had every single maintenance and repair record for it from 2006 to now, to good to pass up. Maybe you would consider driving to another nearby state for one with higher mileage and great maintenance records. Keep in mind the Carfax are not always accurate. Wish you the best!

·
Registered
19 Posts
In my brief research, they are plentiful and reasonable here in WI as well. I bought my 2008 EX a month ago from my mechanic for $1,500. A woman dropped it off and asked for $200 after another mechanic told her she needed a new computer. After a new alternator, things seem to be fine. At that price, you don't ask what a vehicle isn't and look at what it is instead. It's time to start looking at what the end of life of these vehicles are because some of the earlier ones are going to start coming up for sale cheap. Have since seen a 2004 for $1500 but seemed to have the downshift issue at 70 mph. My mechanic couldn't believe how clean this one was underneath, and its probably a vehicle trait, which is a good thing. It also seems like rust is not a common issue

·
Registered
2 Posts
I found a pretty 07 Element ex with only 85k. at a scummy big dealer.The car fax showed it had valve cover gaskets repaired at about 70k, a torque converter done at 34k and some fuel intake thing around 20k. It also showed it was aligned 3 times. Too me, it seems like those were some major repairs for that low of miles?? The dealer is trying to play games with fees and BS already. The price out the door $10300.. I am ready to pull the plug on the deal. But I like the car. sigh..Are these repairs normal for these cars? Thanks in advance..
Hi, I know the feeling. Been looking for a good E for a while now. Finally found one about 100mi away. I found it on CarFax used cars, a 2010 EX, FWD, 97K, one owner, no wrecks, and all service listed. The owner def took care of the car- but I had to pay the dealer's crazy price, and fees. But it's a heck of a car and I plan on owning it a long time- and honestly, I like it better than anything new. I have looked at many E's, and the really nice ones were just to far away. But sheez, dealerships are impossible.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am so sorry about the loss of you car. I sure hope you find another good one. The elements are super hard to find.I wish honda would put out a new hybrid Element. That would be awesome. I think I am moving on myself to either a older 2007ish lexus rx or 2011 Honda Pilot. My situation was the classic case of girl at the big town dealership without her husband. I was almost a sucker for a shiny orange paint job lol. I think the car might of had a prior accident?? I have discovered sometimes theres a lag time of over a yr that accidents wont even show up on a car fax. Just like you said the repairs seem way off for 85k wth.. Plus Lithia of Portland was trying to tell me I couldnt opt out of $500 clear coat treatment on a 13 yr old car. They told me one price of the phone drive 5 hours the price went up over $1000 when I get there. Bastards. So I am moving on. Thanks for your reply.
I live near Portland and may soon be selling my 2007 Tangerine EX but its pushing 200k miles and is a bit rough inside due to camping and children. It's been mechanically well maintained though and runs great. I'm needing something with 5 seats and that my elderly mother and Aunt can get in/out of back seat.

I've seen Elements at the dealerships around here and they are CRAZY expensive. I'm probably going to start at $5k and see what I get (if my ex doesn't decide he wants to buy it). I'm looking at a yellow 2017 Honda Fit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Smart move. I do not think it is normal for any of those issue to occur prior to 114,000 or so miles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The repairs early on don’t bother me, they happened a long time ago both in time and in miles and are more indicative of a quality control issue than anything else. The valve cover seal is a nothing repair. Hard to say what is being referred to with the fuel system but again it was resolved and isn’t the result of the previous owner.

The issue I share is the dealer and their associated fees.

Personally I have bought two high mile Elements (158k and 185k) for 3500 and 3k respectively with the knowledge I would be needing to do a bunch of repairs of various types. One was a private sale and the other a dealer ‘as is’ purchase. Interestingly the higher mileage Element is in better shape but like another poster the real ailment was one that was cured very inexpensively and is very typical of the Honda engine in these things.

In any case I would adjust the breadth of your search and assume a bit more risk. In general this is a pretty easy to work on vehicle that has a limited number set of weak points.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts