Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanting to keep my Element clean, I went and pressure washed the engine, and now it wont start. I have power everywhere but no spark. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2007 Element EX TRP
2,527 Posts
OK, your first post is because you can't get her started??!! :shock::roll:

First of all - WELCOME and glad to have you here!!:eoc:

That said, on to your problem and a suggestion or two - check ALL your electronics - connectors, spark wires to and from the coil, anywhere that might have been hit by the water. And, BTW, be careful when pressure washing to COMPLETELY avoid your brake cylinder (for future use). Water and brake fluid are a very volatile mix for you braking system (another EOC member posted this a while ago). :-(

Dry everything you touch as you're checking it. May not solve the problem, but, it doesn't hurt. I always start my car immediately after washing the engine, might help avoid this in the future.

Hope this helps some and GOOD LUCK!! ;-):):razz:

·
Registered
118 Posts
This reminds me of a time when I was washing my '08 Triumph Bonneville T100 and after rinsing my engine, I also had no spark. Pulled the spark plug boots and low-and-behold... water on the contacts. I took a shop vac, put it on "Blow" and dried the contacts. Replaced boots and the bike fired right up. :grin: :grin:

·
Retired.
12,181 Posts
Did you check for blown fuses?

Fuse #1 under the dash is for the coils.

I would look at fuses if you haven't already.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fuses Fine...Im betting I maybe got the coil or the computer wet. It still wont start...I have it inside, and am letting the heat run in the garage with the hood up..If all else fails I will tow it to a dealer, but I really dont want to expose myself to the dealers prices.

any mechanics on this board?...helllllp

·
Registered
203 Posts
how high a pressure pressure washer did you use? Was it high enough that you could have cut or broken wires? If you sprayed at an angle check down in the valleys to see if the spark plug tubes are filled with water.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
how high a pressure pressure washer did you use? Was it high enough that you could have cut or broken wires? If you sprayed at an angle check down in the valleys to see if the spark plug tubes are filled with water.

No...low pressure water was all I used, and I pulled the plug wires and plugs...theyre dry

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
any mechanics on this board?...helllllp
There are lots of mechanics on this forum... you just did a likely minor FUBAR where it could be any of a zillion things. Anything we suggest here is going to be a wild @$$ guess based on something we can't see. This is the type of problem where we need knowledgeable eyes on the subject.

The E has a coil on each plug - there is no common coil. If you got one (or even two) wet, which is actually unlikely, it would still try to fire and would even run a little. My thinking is that you knocked a connector off with your flailing around with the hose. There are dozens under the hood, so it would take an inventory approach to knowing what needs to be connected where.

It should be mostly dry by now. If it doesn't start today, then get it towed and have somebody look at it.

·
Registered
590 Posts
wife's good for this too.... i tell her to hold up her cell, and i'll use my phone wrench. (i get threatened w/the couch after that most of the time) pull the coil cover and coils and see if they're under water and if the plugs are under water, that'd be a good place to start.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Pull the cover on the under hood fuse box, and Blow dry it!

Dom

·
Registered
836 Posts
Can you pull the wires to the spark plugs off the E? I had to do this with a buddies car, took the wires and ran em under a heat gun for 10 minuets each, seemed to dry out the moisture that got in between the wire and insulation, might give that a try if its possible?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Thank you RD , i learn something new about my car everyday here!! Wish i could have helped the OP more :(

·
Registered
873 Posts
wd farty is great for wet engines, the wd stands for watter disspersant!!! orignaly developed and made for nasa to combat condensation in electronics so what you have described dosent happen in space or hear on the ground or heading to space.developed by rocket industries ( a rocket fuel mfr) they still make it today wd 40 works.the epa has hurt it a little but it works!!! spray the termanals & conectors,sensors,lightly,and the fuzze panel (under the hood),throtel body etc. good luck. it works great in the dist cap in the rain but your E dosent have one.it also good for clotting blood in a cut (there might even be a mill spec for that) suposed to be good for joints also but watch out you might singe your eye lashes:evil::lol::shock::evil::razz:

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
WD40? Bad idea. It eats certain plastics for lunch, some right now, and some a year from now.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
WD40? Bad idea. It eats certain plastics for lunch, some right now, and some a year from now.

I'm with mike on this one! WD-40 Has proven it's worth over the years, for several applications. It has been used by many of us to dry out connectors, wires, distributor components/caps, ignition wires and the like. However, on today cars, some of the plastics do not respond in a kind manor to the application of a solvent like WD-40.

Like Mike has stated, It may take some time to degrade the plastic in the connectors. It will degrade them though. They become brittle, and cracked. In an Emergency, I would not hesitate to use it. when you have time, other products( Note on the comparison chart The plastic safe category) This one also , a blow drier or just a rag and compressed air get preferential treatment.

This is the one I use! Still it's not safe on all Plastics. See the chart.

Dom

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So does anyone know of any sensors, relays etc that are hidden under the hood that I could check?..All the fuses in the fuse box are fine...I had to have shorted something out under the hood. How about the computer?...Where is that located at?

Any help is appreciated

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
Stern parent advice here: get it towed.

Please... obviously nothing personal - how could it be? - but if this situation hasn't resolved itself or otherwise been resolved in four days, something significant is wrong and it's time for professional help. You're beyond the obvious, easy stuff now. Reiterating what I said above, this could be any of many, many things and needs knowledgeable eyes on the problem, not wild-ass guesses sight unseen.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts