Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in Problems & Issues and got zero replies.. weird. Thought I would try it here.

Hi all,

Been a long time since I've posted here.. used to be quite a regular.

First, I have a manual 05 element with 99k on it. I have driven it hard and it is really showing its wear and tear.

I'd like to work on making it feel and sound newer.

First, I replace the back struts because one was blown out. This helped the ride considerably. Should I do the fronts too even though there is nothing specifically wrong?

2. I have read about installing sound dampening material on here and plan to do that to some degree. But, what else can I do to tighten things up?

The doors rattle like crazy. i have tightened and moved the latches in as far as I can but they still rattle and are very noisy in the wind. What can I do here? Do I need to replace all the door seals? I will if that would tighten it up.

3. When I had the windshield replaced they messed up the black plastic molding on the sides of the windshield (placed vertically.) Both of them flew off while driving. They replaced all the clips and parts but they buzz in the wind like crazy... should i run a bead of silicone on each side of them? I'm really at a loss what to do with this one.

4. New tires and alignment soon too.

5. Is there anything else i can do to cut down on the road and wind noise and make the car feel and sound tighter and more new?

I really want to rejuvinate this car.

Thanks for the help!

B

·
Registered
3 Posts
Squeaks and rattles

Hey Blutch,
I have worked for Acura and Honda for years, and here's my take on the seals. Some of the more critical adjustments on Honda products are actually made with the seals out of the car completely. the reason for this is that the fit and finish adjustments are made assuming that the seals are pliable, soft and of the proper dimension. When you tighten up all the latches and strikers, everything goes out of whack in relation to each other, and you can actually get body hard parts in contact with each other.
So...
The long and the short of it, in my opinion, is that you need to step up and buy and replace the seals. I would do one door opening at a time, because it's not going to be cheap. I haven't bought a Honda manual for mine yet, but I will. The adjustments will be in there, as well as some of the part numbers, at least the basic numbers. You'll probably need your VIN to order.
Hope this helps. I'm short on time tonight, but I'll try to write more soon.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
atomaker,

Thank you for answering! I thought I was being ignored!! :)

I looked at the seals recently.. they look good, but I don't know what to look for. They do look expensive... I'm almost afraid to look up what it will cost.

My doors rattle a LOT and in heavy winds (which happens a lot in Oklahoma) they don't seal tightly at all.. they shake and you can even see them move in the wind.

Any insight on the A-pillar moulding? Those things are very loud at any speed over 50 mph. They stop buzzing when I put painter's tape over them. They are brand new and the rubber seals fits right up to the windshield. I'm perplexed by that one!

Thanks again!

B

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BigAl,

Thanks man! That's not as bad as i thought! I wonder if I can install them myself without too much problem?

B

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
It looks pratty straight forward. You will need a clip popper, and may want to order a handful of the Clip A's because that are 22 on each of the front doors, and 7 on each of the rear. You will probaly break at least 1, but it looks like you don't have to pull any of the door panels. I would strongly suggest you invest in a repair manual. Check near the bottom of this page for the service manual. http://www.handa-accessories.com/elementmaint.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts