Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the first car that I've actually owned, completely paid for and in excellent condition, so now I want to start adding to it and making changes--all installed by professionals.

For the most part I'm not talking about anything that isn't a Honda part, to be installed by Honda, such as a roof rack and fog lights. I know I can do these things myself, but rather just have the pros do it.

But when it comes to the stereo unit in the dashboard I really want something rather good, something that Honda doesn't sell or install.

So here are my requirements:

• 7 inch touch screen;
  • No GPS;
  • I would like the security of a removable screen so no one breaks into my car to steal it, but don't know if that's really an issue since these things are coded;
  • Works as a controller for iPhone and iPad, so I can choose the playlist and song via the screen;
  • Plays video as well as audio.
And that's about it. But I don't know anything about car stereos, and I'm not going to install some super powered speaker system either. Maybe down the road I'll change the speakers, but only with better versions of the same ones that came with the car.

I was thinking of getting a Sony like the one in the following link:

or--even though it includes a GPS--this:

Any advice? Am I missing something?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Pioneer AVH-P4400BH, under $400 if you shop around online.

Cheaper than both of your listed options, offers everything you were looking for except detachable face, and one hell of a good deck.

Detachable face is not much of a deterrent, especially with such a large screen because its not something easily carried around and thieves know to look around inside a car for the faceplate. (because I believe 90% of all people who DO remove the faces of their decks, just stash them in the car either under a seat, in a console, or in the glove box)

The best way to deter theft (& this goes for everything) is....
#1 Do not leave anything that looks valuable or could contain goodies (backpack/purse/etc..) in plain sight. While a radio cannot be removed/hidden, having less "treasure" visible around it helps make the car less appealing.

#2 Install an aftermarket alarm system. Even a $150 (installed) Viper or Compustar alarm will provide greater security than the worthless OEM alarm and also provides the convenience of a much better remote & longer range. I am a firm believer of how well alarms work, and Ive been in the mobile electronics business for a long time. ;-)

·
Registered
1,220 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
With the USB connection, will I be able to control the playlist from the screen on the dash? I don't have to pick up the iPhone/iPad/Android to make it work? And let's say the device I want to use doesn't have USB. Are there ones where I can have the iPod cord and the 1/16th stereo plug for either option?

I'm still going to shoot for a 7" screen. I checked these things out in Best Buy and I just didn't like the mechanical buttons. Of course, with buttons I can control it without looking at it, but I either start the stereo and leave it as is--on or off--or my wife is using it with her iPhone.

Would I be able to do something really cool like have the same video playing on both the screen in the dashboard for my wife and simultaneously in an overhead screen for the passengers in back? I just think it would be nice to have for long road trips so would-be backseat drivers who hardly or never drive themselves might pay more attention to the screen than to what speed the windshield wipers are going or how often I look in my mirrors for whatever disaster might be happening behind me.

One time, I kid you not, my brother actually said I should be looking at what's happening behind me TEN MINUTES before changing lanes on the highway. I told him, "So let's say I'm going 60mph, and that's within the speed limit; that's one mile per minute; you want me to look out for other drivers approaching from behind for ten miles before I change lanes. And you drive a rental maybe twice a year while I drive my own car every day. How much sense does that make?" He's the worst though.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
yeah you have the option of changing it with the head unit or switching control over to the ipod itself.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
With the USB connection, will I be able to control the playlist from the screen on the dash? I don't have to pick up the iPhone/iPad/Android to make it work? And let's say the device I want to use doesn't have USB. Are there ones where I can have the iPod cord and the 1/16th stereo plug for either option?

I'm still going to shoot for a 7" screen. I checked these things out in Best Buy and I just didn't like the mechanical buttons. Of course, with buttons I can control it without looking at it, but I either start the stereo and leave it as is--on or off--or my wife is using it with her iPhone.

Would I be able to do something really cool like have the same video playing on both the screen in the dashboard for my wife and simultaneously in an overhead screen for the passengers in back? I just think it would be nice to have for long road trips so would-be backseat drivers who hardly or never drive themselves might pay more attention to the screen than to what speed the windshield wipers are going or how often I look in my mirrors for whatever disaster might be happening behind me.

One time, I kid you not, my brother actually said I should be looking at what's happening behind me TEN MINUTES before changing lanes on the highway. I told him, "So let's say I'm going 60mph, and that's within the speed limit; that's one mile per minute; you want me to look out for other drivers approaching from behind for ten miles before I change lanes. And you drive a rental maybe twice a year while I drive my own car every day. How much sense does that make?" He's the worst though.
I believe the Pioneer AVHP4400BH does have the dual zone audio/video option on it, so the front zone can be doing something different from the rear seats. For iPod control, you might need to buy a specific cable, but I don't think it's very expensive. I'm a very big fan of Pioneer head units.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I'm a very big fan of Pioneer head units.
As am I

With the USB you get full control of the Ipod/Iphone/Ipad through the touch screen interface of the deck. With any android device the deck will treat it like a thumb drive, so you will be navigating through folders of artists, then albums, etc.. depending upon how your music library is actually organized.
The aux plug is used as a basic aux input and almost all decks offer one. If they dont it will have RCA A/V inputs which you can run a phono to RCA adapter to plug into any mobile devices headphone jack. Some decks, usually most 7" options will have the aux plug on the back because of limited front panel room.
The deck will have separate sources listed for each. You simply select either "Aux" or "USB/Ipod" from the source menu.

I enjoy the mechanical buttons myself, it can be hard to select a touch screen option while moving with your arm extended outward. A slight bump can make you hit the wrong button or enter the wrong menu, maybe Im just overly picky.
The mechanical buttons require less precision to operate, and work great considering they are usually the most used settings. It also keeps your screen cleaner because you will be touching it less (less finger prints).

Yes, almost ever indash DVD player has video outputs specifically for such an option. They will also have a dedicated audio output, so you can send sound to your overhead/headrest monitors for using wireless headphones without having to sacrifice a primary front or rear audio output.
They also offer "dual zone" (brands have different names) which will let you play different things on the monitors than on the deck. My Pioneer has 3 options, and they are very easily accessed from any main screen. I can set my headrest monitors to "Front", "DVD", "Aux", so I can use any source & the DVD will play through the monitors, or anything I have plugged into the Aux A/V RCA inputs, or when set to "front" anything the deck is playing the monitors will play.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Just my .02$. I was going to say Alpine IVE-W535HD. I've been into car audio for the longest time and have done countless hours of research. Given it's a little expensive, but I dig alpine systems.

HOWEVER, given audiophyle's post, I would also recommend that as I have gotten advice from him in the past to audio questions. (On a side note I'd love to get your opinion on comparing the Alping IVE-W535HD to the Pioneer AVH-P4400BH)

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Just my .02$. I was going to say Alpine IVE-W535HD. I've been into car audio for the longest time and have done countless hours of research. Given it's a little expensive, but I dig alpine systems.

HOWEVER, given audiophyle's post, I would also recommend that as I have gotten advice from him in the past to audio questions. (On a side note I'd love to get your opinion on comparing the Alping IVE-W535HD to the Pioneer AVH-P4400BH)
Without having seen the Alpine in person, they appear to have very similar specs. I give Pioneer a plus for having 4V RCA outputs compared to the Alpine's 2V, but I do like that the Alpine has a volume knob (which is the only thing I wish my Pioneer had).

·
Registered
168 Posts
I agree, I do like the cleaner look of the Pioneer. Maybe it's just me, but I don't like seeing the CD/DVD port. I will give a plus to the Pioneer for it being motorized and having that part behind the deck plate.

Would anyone happen to know if that Pioneer has pandora compatible with Android? I know the Alpine does (sadly that might sway my decision between the two).

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Alpine is not very clear on their descriptions, but listening to Pandora through Iphone/Android,Blackberry is actually done through the bluetooth streaming, not the USB plug. Pioneer does it the exact same way, and the units with built in bluetooth also provide basic control through the bluetooth connection from the radio. You will have play/pause, and song skip control from the deck but that is the extent of what you can control from the radio. They offer nothing more than what a regular bluetooth headphone setup would provide.

The only thing I like on the Alpine is the sound processing options, but that is easily outweighed when compared to the larger screen on the Pioneer, the motorized face which conceals the SD card & DVD slot, the higher RCA output levels, and the fact that it is $100 cheaper than the Alpine(based on MSRP). Pioneer gets my vote no question.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Thanks, appreciate that.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I have a Pioneer AVH3200DVD. If you ever want to listen to an AM radio station, don't get one of these. It won't even pick up the 50,000 watt clear channel WSM radio when sitting in the heart of Nashville.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I've changed my mind, I'm getting the Pioneer AVH-P8400BH. I was a DnB DJ in college and the MixTrack feature on the AVH-P8400BH sold me!

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
is that screen really 480x240? that's kind of terrible

nevermind its a mistake on amazon. wondering if i shoudl return my sony for this...

aaaaaand i ordered the sony 2 months ago so that's not gonna happen. not sure how i missed this radio.

·
Registered
168 Posts
The resolution on the 4400BH is 480x240

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
The resolution on the 4400BH is 480x240
yeah amazon had it listed wrong but i found the correct specs elsewhere. the android apps look great. i got the sony because of the mirrorlink but its got bugs and the mirrorlink only works with the galaxy S 3 so its useless to me. buyers remorse!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts