Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in North York (yonge/lawrence area)
Just got a '04 black y package ele.. lovin' it. Watch for it :)

Want to transform my tires, get the rims painted black. Anyone doing this or know where i can get it done?

Love that Army rugged look.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Lowes? Spray paint ?

·
Registered
617 Posts
I'm in North York (yonge/lawrence area)
Just got a '04 black y package ele.. lovin' it. Watch for it :)

Want to transform my tires, get the rims painted black. Anyone doing this or know where i can get it done?

Love that Army rugged look.

Thanks!
man unless you want it to look like garbage, then use a rattle can. Get them professionally painted at an auto paint/body shop. Even then its marginal with road wear. If you really want to do it correctly, get them powder coated

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Forget painting them - paint chips. Check around for a powder coating place. Only way to go.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
umm there's a couple of ways to paint your rims

1. get poly stripper and spray it on, leave it, then get a scrapper, and scrap off the paint/clear coat

2. after its all scrapped off, then get sand paper
500 grit, then 1000, then 1500, then 2000.

3. sand it down good

4. then get playing cards, stick them between the edge of the rim and tire

5. throw a couple layers of primer, sand it with 2000, then go with your choice of colour and paint a couple more layers on it.

6. after that's done, then if you like, get clear coat, and spray 5-6 coats of clear to protect it.

7. wait for dry

8. ???

9. profit

·
Registered
188 Posts
even cheaper way , spray with plastic surface prep adhesive , and don't wash them ever , they will turn a nice brake dust dark hue in a week or two , rotflmao , serious , save your rims ( assume they are cast ) and get black steel rims from a auto parts store ....

·
Registered
47 Posts
wheel painting

I had Carcones do a set of motorcycle rims for me, and they came out amazing....give them a call they are up in Aurora on Bloomington

·
Registered
617 Posts
umm there's a couple of ways to paint your rims

1. get poly stripper and spray it on, leave it, then get a scrapper, and scrap off the paint/clear coat

2. after its all scrapped off, then get sand paper
500 grit, then 1000, then 1500, then 2000.

3. sand it down good

4. then get playing cards, stick them between the edge of the rim and tire

5. throw a couple layers of primer, sand it with 2000, then go with your choice of colour and paint a couple more layers on it.

6. after that's done, then if you like, get clear coat, and spray 5-6 coats of clear to protect it.

7. wait for dry

8. ???

9. profit
dude, sanding with 2000 grit will definately let the paint peel right off. Standard grit before laying paint is 600 grit, with no more than 800. 2000 is what you use to rub out paint to color sand it for buffing.

I paint, so I know

·
Registered
617 Posts
I have mine OEM rims painted and they are holding up...I got them professionally painted...you can always search on Youtube. :)
you shouldnt have any problems if you take care of them because you had them professionally done. Its the ones who use rattle can that have issues. Rattle can paint and automotive paint are two totally different things, especially in rattle can clear.

·
Registered
47 Posts
painting rims

agreed....I think it's better to get them done properly for longevity.....

Jusetan, I'm at Yonge and Sheppard and there's a guy in Scarborough right next to Snow City Cycle on Kennedy that is a great wheel painter....

·
12,179 Posts
agreed....I think it's better to get them done properly for longevity.....

Jusetan, I'm at Yonge and Sheppard and there's a guy in Scarborough right next to Snow City Cycle on Kennedy that is a great wheel painter....
Are you talking about Impera Body and Paint?

·
Registered
730 Posts
I have mine OEM rims painted and they are holding up...I got them professionally painted...you can always search on Youtube. :)
I've seen these in person and these rims look GOOOOOD!!!! 8)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Rugged Military Look

I went the powder coating route and couldn't be happier. It cost me $75 per wheel. I would recommend getting the lug nuts powder coated too for a complete balcked out look. For tires, I would strongly recommend General Grabber AT2 or BFG ATs. And please remember that friends never let friends ride around with Raised White Letter tires. Good luck to you. Here's a couple of pictures of my E:

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
wheels

Impera....thats the one....snow city sends a lot of business there for custom bike wheels....carcones is good too....but around 100 bucks a wheel....theres also a poweder coating guy in mississauga that is about 70 bucks a wheel....gotta find the name and number....
Are you talking about Impera Body and Paint?

·
Registered
79 Posts
looks good, but $300 is mucho...
$300 is a bunch of dough but you have to consider all of the factors. To try and get nice aftermarket wheels in black will most likely cost more than $300. If you aren't a professional painter and try to do it yourself, the look and durability probably won't be very good. The powder coating is supposed to be very durable for a long time. To each their own, but this was what made the most sense to me. Not to mention, I feel that it totally transformed the look of my "E" for the better. I could have done 1 wheel a month too to ease the expense a bit.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts