Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FAIL!!!!

In trying to mount aftermarket fog lights in the bumper, I realized that I don’t have enough clearance behind the fog light due to the windshield wiper reservoir on the right side.

I was wondering if it is possible to heat up the plastic and mold it thinner for clearance or to cut and plastic weld a tube/void in the reservoir to allow the light clearance needed.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im trying to use Hella 90mm projectors. I need a few inches, so I was hoping either to heat it up or mod it to fit. They are quite long, so its not the best choice, but I want the projector performance for fog.

Does anyone know what type of plastic the reservoir is made of? I know different plastics call for different ways to patch etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
it looks like the fogs are already installed. so, you're really looking for another place the the fluid container. perhaps a different container? located elsewhere?
not much help, i know.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
By drilling out the mounting holes you can pick up almost 1/2 inch. Then use a tube, ( Like a piece of copper tubing ) with w washer head screw to retain the mounting plate.

Drill the holes large enough to go over the plastic mounting posts. That will place the mounting plate flush on the front bumper.

You will need to cut out the top of the plastic, to keep the heat from the lamp from melting the bumper.

See the instructions on H and A's sight, for cutting the slots.

Hope this helps.

When I did mine, I bent the mounting plate to move the the assembly forward. That solved my clearance issue.

Dom

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I see what you are saying. But unfortunately I can't cut the mount to fit over the posts. There isn't enough bracket material to allow.

I great idea though. I see possibilities.

I need to find out what kind of plastic the reservoir is made of. Heat tolerances etc.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
I need to find out what kind of plastic the reservoir is made of. Heat tolerances etc.

From what I was able to find out, It's injection molded polystyrene.

If that helps. It becomes brittle after heating.

I just fabricated a new bracket from sheet aluminum .

This is what I used for sheet stock.
Orange Motor vehicle Text Signage Sign

Dom

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
i like the relocate it idea. take the stock one out and get a plastic jug that can be easily molded like most other types of plastic can. then drill it out for your fitting for the hoses and be done. if you cant find something for the stock location then there is gobbs of roome on the driver side. just some ideas...

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Apparently it isin't an easy process to re-mould the resevoir. And a replacement is $180. Mmmm..
Have you considered looking at a CR-V or other Honda reservoir that might have tighter space requirements?? Hondas are built modular with similar or identical components across the product lines... With a bit of luck a CR-V might have less available space and be shaped just different enough to serve your purpose...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sounds interesting. Now, is there a way of finding the dimensions/ mountability between the Element and CRV without actually orrdering them from Honda to look at. They may be getting sick of me pestering them when Im doing mods.
Is there any info available online? I have looked a bit without any luck.

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,948 Posts
From what I was able to find out, It's injection molded polystyrene. . . . Dom
No, it isn't. Solid polystyrene is brittle and subject to thermal and stress crazing, rarely used in outdoor applications. It's molded polyethylene, a higher density version of what's used for milk bottles.

If you can live with a much smaller reservoir, there are aftermarket kits that are much smaller (~2 quarts) that could be mounted somewhere else in the engine compartment. http://www.sfxperformance.com/parts/VIB10402.htm

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
No, it isn't, it's molded polyethylene, a higher density version of what's used for milk bottles. Solid polystyrene is brittle and subject to thermal and stress crazing, rarely used in outdoor applications.

Thanks for that !!

I may have misquoted my source of the information. He works with plastics in the injection molding department. They make several of the Molds used in the auto industry. I know they do some testing before the mold ships to the end manufacturing plant.

A quick trip to the refrigerator shows me that the milk Jug id # 2 in this list. HDPE.

Dom

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,948 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,948 Posts
I also know that the milk bottles are made from a biodegradable plastic made from a Milk byproduct. . . . Dom
No, they aren't, and high density polyethylene (HDPE) isn't biodegradable. Polyethylene used in milk bottles is highly resistant to the mild acids and caustic materials found in the normal environment and unless exposed to high levels of UV for prolonged periods of time does not deteriorate. With a few additives, it's been used in the past for for packaging photographic chemicals, alcohol, laundry detergent, engine oil, and bleach. Because it is relatively inert, it isn't easily contaminated by it's contents, making it ideal for recycling. Popular re-applications is grinding it up and remolding it synthetic landscape timbers, playground equipment and and parking lot barriers.

Another plastic was proposed for milk packaging, polyethylene terephthalate (PET), but is having difficulty gaining acceptance since recent studies have shown that reusing bottles made of PET can in fact be dangerous. PET was found to break down over time and leach into the beverage when the bottles were reused.

While it is possible to make casein plastic from milk, it isn't suitable for packaging milk.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow, thanks for all the input.

So what are my chances of getting another resevoir and carefully heating it up to compress the plastic facing the front, pushing it a few inches towards the back?

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,948 Posts
Wow, thanks for all the input.

So what are my chances of getting another reservoir and carefully heating it up to compress the plastic facing the front, pushing it a few inches towards the back?
Not good, and it's an expensive experiment. Personally, I think it would be cheaper and simpler to buy an aftermarket kit with a smaller tank and splice into the existing wiring and nozzle tubing.

One thing you could do is cut through the filler tube and extend it with tubing and hose clamps. That would give you some latitude in remounting the reservoir tank.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts