Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is just not my day! I was working on putting some dynamat-type material in the doors of my accord and the cd player cut out. I tried to start the engine and it wouldn't turn over. So my dad jumped me and I went to advanced auto parts and got a new battery and they also tested the alternator which they said was fine. I started the car and came home to finish my work. When I was done I went to start the car again and it didn't turnover AGAIN! I turn the key and the car groans and then if I keep the key turned it just keeps making this clicking noise. So they are telling me it could be the starter now. I have a couple questions:

1: is there anything else it could be

2: how much would a starter cost

3: would I be able to install it by myself

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I'm still leaning towards looking at the battery and the altenator. Does your car have juice when you are in the on position? Do the lights/wipers work? If not, the battery is dead, and the altenator is not charging battery.

Jump your car again and see if that will get it started. Also, you may want to give your starter a couple of light taps to see if it is stuck.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ShotOnce said:
I'm still leaning towards looking at the battery and the altenator. Does your car have juice when you are in the on position? Do the lights/wipers work? If not, the battery is dead, and the altenator is not charging battery.

Jump your car again and see if that will get it started. Also, you may want to give your starter a couple of light taps to see if it is stuck.

Well, when I first took the car to Advanced Auto Parts, the windows and radio didn't work but after the new battery was replaced the car started and everything was fine. I went home and was working on the car in the driveway with the radio on when all of the sudden the radio started cutting out so I tried to start the car and the engine wouldn't turn over. The windows and everything work fine now since the battery has been replaced, the car just wont start.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Well, I dropped the car off on sunday night at the mechanic and I just got a call that the car is running fine. They fixed a couple other small things that were wrong with the car (some rust on the brakes and the tail lights were on the fritz because of bad wiring). They said that the battery that Advanced Auto Parts gave me was a POS and that I had drained it already just by listening to the radio while I worked for about an hour. I am going to go to sears and get a diehard or something good like that installed and take the POS battery back to AA.:x

·
Registered
394 Posts
JPH102900 said:
Well, I dropped the car off on sunday night at the mechanic and I just got a call that the car is running fine. They fixed a couple other small things that were wrong with the car (some rust on the brakes and the tail lights were on the fritz because of bad wiring). They said that the battery that Advanced Auto Parts gave me was a POS and that I had drained it already just by listening to the radio while I worked for about an hour. I am going to go to sears and get a diehard or something good like that installed and take the POS battery back to AA.:x

That's crazy JPH! What's up with your wiring?? You shouldn't be having problems on an '05 like that. Is it stock wiring, or have you added aftermarket things? It sounds like you've got a short somewhere that's draining your battery.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
magnEsium
Honda Element Owners Club
Element Owners Club is your go to forum community to discuss your Honda Element, and get ideas from your next great trip to your next Honda Element Mod.
Full Forum Listing