Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 4 year old lab that we just obtained from my dad (Goofy) for the last 4 or 5 days has been tearing himself up. He is gnawing at his backside on top of his rear hips inbetween the "shoulder blades" but on his back half. He since this morning ripped about 2 handfulls of hair out of his back at once. I came home after dropping my fiancee off at work, I was gone maybe 20 minutes and came home to see a 3" x 2" long tear where there was no hair anymore and just bleeding. It used to just be nibbling, now he's ripping his own fur out. In the first few days we thought fleas, so he got constant flea baths and we even let him fetch a ball at the beach - I figured it would drown them off if he was mostly submerged for a while. I also made sure his food was that of what he was being fed while with my dad before he came to live with us because of the skin issues it could cause by switching it. Only other thing I could think of is the climate is a lot different from California here in Washington were he lives now, otherwise I can't think of anything, and he's making me and Micaella upset because we don't know how to help him. :-(

Any ideas?

·
Registered
941 Posts
sounds like he is itching need steroids I would take him to the vet far a shot then they would put him on perdnisone as a temp measure need to find out what he is alleric to.
If nothing eles try Benidlry google for dosage.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll look up the benadryl dose, and try that and if nothing I'll set him up with a vet appointment. I put some anti-itch cream on the are he seemed to be tearing at and he seems to have calmed down and can relax, but I'll have to see if it lasts.

·
Registered
85 Posts
sounds like he is itching need steroids I would take him to the vet far a shot then they would put him on prednisone as a temp measure need to find out what he is alleric to.
If nothing else try Benadryl google for dosage.
^^^ True about the steroids my pup is severely allergic to grass, we thought it was just the fresh mowed grass but it was happening year around... she is now on prednisone pills 2-3 a month. I was hoping to not have to give her pills all the time but it helps her with all the itching and that makes her fell better as do we... (less pain and hair loss)

·
Registered
479 Posts
My Lab's had that problem from time to time. The only solution was to first put one of those big plastic funnels around their neck. This stopped them from scratching themselves. Then it was the good flea treatment where you put some drops of a liquid called advantage on their backs. It always cured them for a few years.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
allergies

My Great Dane/ Coon Hound had allergies and they started around his turning three. Allergy meds for humans can work or get something from your vet. That would be my guess by reading the symptoms…
Good luck.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Definitely go to the vet! We used to give baby aspirin to one of our dogs who had arthritis and had a hard time getting up and down with out it. Told the vet what we were doing and got my butt chewed! Be careful with human meds when giving them to your pups. Better safe than sorry!

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
The vet is a must. With that much broken skin there is now risk of infection.

Meanwhile, Pet Smart or Petco should have the "lampshade" (as I call it) neck collar or comparable item that prevents your dog from scratching or biting themselves.

While you're at the vet, ask them about getting Goofy on Advantix or some other monthly topical -- it kills fleas and ticks. Then you don't have to bother with flea baths.

My sympathies to all three of you. Dogs can do a lot of damage to themselves in a very short time and even the most experienced dog peops may not know why.

You should also ask your vet what dog First Aid items they recommend that you keep on hand at all times (in your home and in your car). Gidget was on over-the-counter Benadryl at one point but I'm not certain the dosage. I think it was 1 miligram per 2 pounds of dog. But I'm not 100% on that.

Do not take our word on dosage. And do not give your dog any old allergy medicine designed for people -- dogs and people are not compatible on all drugs or all foods.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
Here's a great source of dog supplies -- including First Aid:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/dog-supplies/first-aid/ps/c/3307/12891

Here's a "Comfy Cone" to keep your pup from scratching or biting:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3307+12891+20208&pcatid=20208

Another variation
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3307+12891+15678&pcatid=15678

I keep their entire line of "Septi-Smooth" products on hand. Sounds like Goofy's skin is too damaged for this but good to have around.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3307+12891+580&pcatid=580

Gentle antiseptic formulas are a cleansing approach to your dog's surface cuts, minor hot spots, insect bites, scratches, and other minor skin lesions. A valuable tool in any pet first aid kit. Each product contains chlorhexidine and boric acid. Septi-Soothe Spray is for large, irritated areas. Septi-Soothe Salve with Vitamin E is great for small skin abrasions. No mess, pre-moistened Septi-Soothe Pads® are saturated with Septi-Soothe Spray and are ideal for everything from small scrapes and cuts to hotspots. All soothing products contain the ingredient chlorhexidine. Spray and Pads include bitter extracts to keep pet from licking irritated area to promote faster healing. For dogs and cats.

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
In re-reading your post, I'm wondering if Goofy's getting wet and not being dried could be the problem.

I have to be certain to dry Gidget thoroughly -- with a blowdryer -- or she will have skin problems around the base of her tail and lower back.

That's a particular problem with thick-coated dogs.

Also, the fleas may not be as easy to see as you'd think. Vets look for "flea dirt" -- which is specks of dried blood that fleas leave behind. Easier to find on a white dog, such as Gidget, than a dark pup.

So you still have Goofy on the same food your dad was feeding?

Is he getting any treats now that he wasn't before?

Has he been running loose in brush?

·
Registered
157 Posts
It could be anything....one big maybe is mites though. The vet can take a skin scraping and look at it under a light and see what's going on as far as mites. They have all sorts of good stuff for whatever it might be nowadays. Don't let him suffer any longer. Take him to the vet and have him checked.

·
Registered
658 Posts
My Bernese did this and the vet said it was allergies. Gave her a shot of steroids which cleared it up fast.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
My lab did this right after we brought home Leila. Nothing in her routine changed, except that there was another dog. We chalked it up to stress, and eventually she got better.

I don't recommend wait and see, though. The vet concured that it was stress.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
In re-reading your post, I'm wondering if Goofy's getting wet and not being dried could be the problem.

I have to be certain to dry Gidget thoroughly -- with a blowdryer -- or she will have skin problems around the base of her tail and lower back.

That's a particular problem with thick-coated dogs.

Also, the fleas may not be as easy to see as you'd think. Vets look for "flea dirt" -- which is specks of dried blood that fleas leave behind. Easier to find on a white dog, such as Gidget, than a dark pup.

So you still have Goofy on the same food your dad was feeding?

Is he getting any treats now that he wasn't before?

Has he been running loose in brush?

Well, the vet said it was from him being wet and not being properly dried off. He told us to pick up some anti-itch medication and some lotion. She said there was no flea dirt, and no fleas on him so that probably wasn't the problem. She treated his big wound and another one on his tail that we didn't see. She recommended we dry him off with a hair dryer to make sure he was completely dry after he goes outside in the rain or has a bath. After giving him one final bath and putting the lotion on him and the anti-itch stuff. He seems to be a lot better now, he hasn't tried to lick himself or bite. He is also more relaxed now and seems to be sleeping better as he's not waking up to itch. He sleeps in our room so we hear him if he gets up to freak out. He also now smells like licorice due to the anti-itch stuff. We'll see how it goes, but hopefully we fixed it. And yes, he's on the same food my dad was feeding him, and he is getting doggy treats for his 3 tricks (shake, bang-play dead, and dance) but they are the same treats my dad had. They're kinda cool because each box comes with a chew toy inside kind of like cereal.:grin:

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
Great that you got him to the vet, Serj. While it probably seems silly that a swim could end up in a vet visit, it's better than trying to hunt down an allergen.

I strongly recommend getting a grooming dryer for dogs. Even the cheapest ones are far, far more powerful than the little hand dryers we use on our own hair.

A powerful groomer dryer is also a great device for blowing off loose hair in between baths or swims. Just take him outside once a week -- when he's already dry -- with one of you running a comb through his hair and the other running the drier, all the loose hair will blow away outside instead of in your home.

Care A Lot Pets is one very good source. The cheapest is $53.

http://www.carealotpets.com/Departments/Dog-Supplies/Dog-Grooming/Dryers.aspx

Gidget has an Air Force 4 horsepower model. Have been using if for five years, no probs. She gets a bath at least every 3 or 4 weeks. Takes an hour to dry her.

Also recommend going ahead and getting the lampshade (neck collar) and keeping it around. I've used it many times when Gidget's shown a bit too much interest in her tail or behind. She's so sweet about it all I have to do is hold it up and she walks into it. I don't even tie it anymore.

Also check out Care A Lot's inventory of shampoos. I'm very fond of the "Spa" brand -- a gentle aromatherapy line of shampoos, conditioners and cologne. For years, it has kept Gidget sparkly white and smelling good! Care A Lot's price ($9.99) is 30% cheaper than I've ever seen in a pet shop ($15-16). I'm partial to the "Renew" fragrance which is made with ginger root and pink grapefruit.

http://www.carealotpets.com/Products/Spa-Lavish-Pet-Renew-Spa__26843b.aspx

Other good shampoos are:

"Premium Pet" brand:
http://www.carealotpets.com/Products/Premium-Pet-Shampoo__1057B.aspx

"Purely for Puppy" brand
http://www.carealotpets.com/Products/Purely-for-Pupply-Shampoo-12-Oz__1046.aspx

Welcome to the expensive world of dogdom. With dismaying frequency, I'm often asked how much Gidget cost. They are of course referring to the initial purchase price. I always respond: "That's the least of it -- I spent $2000 on vet bills her first year alone."

·
Registered
6,468 Posts

·
Registered
6,468 Posts

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
Yeah right, he doesn't need anymore, then the vet assistant gave him a bag of doggie treats meant for the dogs that come for the groomer.
A whole bag? Gidget is envious.

She's my little panhandler. She knows all the treat-giving businesses in our neighborhood and is shameless about sitting on their doorsteps until they come out to hand her a treat.

The other evening we were out walking with a friend and her pup and I ducked into a corner market to grab a soda. One on Gidget's regular treat tour.

While I was in line to pay, Gidget stood at attention at the glass doors and stared intently at the cashier who controls the Milkbones.

I was invisible. At that moment, the Milkbone Man was the most important person in Gidget's universe.

At home, she has higher expectations. No Milkbones, nosiree -- she prefers the gourmet hand-baked goodies from a local boutique pet shop.

:razz:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts