Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fostered a dog who was rescued from a bad situation back in January. He's a rather large Weimaraner mix, named Mike. I may have posted his picture here at some point. I took him because his rescuers only did cat rescue and he was out of place, and my son was looking for a second dog and his story was so sad I knew I could make a difference for him.

I kept the dog for about 4 months and trained him and got him back to health. He was 25 lbs underweight when rescued, but he's 110 now! Not fat, just big. Mixed with Rottie or Lab or something, but looks like a Weimaraner, dark gray. He was a perfect gentleman after he learned to let us know he needed out. My son fell in love with him, but his wife was due to give birth, so I just kept Mike until she felt she was up to another big mouth to feed.

They've had him about 3 months, and it just doesn't seem to be a good fit. He has lots of very fine qualities, but some of his bad behaviors which would be a cinch to cure for an adult with no babies to take care of, are just too much for my daughter-in-law who is the one home all day.

Specifically--he occasionally poops in the garage instead of the yard, both of which he has unfettered access to through a doggie door (he has never messed in their house). I think it's because he's kind of prissy about his feet, but we don't really know his reasoning for using the garage.

Second, he gets in the trash...even though they have taken steps to prevent it. He foils them. They forget. yada yada.

Third, and this was the last straw, he snitches food off the counter. Today it was an entire uncooked roast. She just can't watch him when she's nursing the baby.

I can easily solve these problems by changing my own behavior if he were my dog. But my DIL is just not into training a dog and a 4 month old and a 4 year old at the same time. She is somewhat unwilling and somewhat unable. It's a bad combination of dog and circumstances. She gave it a good shot, because my son was so in love with Mike. My son is willing to give up Mike for her sake.

He's really good on a leash, very loyal, very obedient (as long as you're watching!), knows sit, stay, come and shake, and needs someone to be there WITH him. He goes to work with my son sometimes, and he is a very good shop dog.

Neutered, shots, microchipped. I'll transport! Please PM me if you are interested. I will need to check you out pretty thoroughly, because I won't send him back to a situation like he was in. Thanks for reading!

Karen in Arkansas

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
i wish you the best on this. most things that dogs do are able to be corrected by correcting the human actions and not necessarily those of the dog. good luck, i hope someone on here knows of a good home for Mike.

·
Registered
5,265 Posts
Pictures please! From your description I am envisioning a Cane Corso...a smaller one, but still.

I wish you luck. Yes, you have to watch those counter surfers. For sure if they go in the garbage they will steal from the counter or table tops.

And about how old would you guess the dog to be?

-g

·
Registered
523 Posts
If your daughter in law can't control a dog, she sure will have her hands full with a child. The pooping the garage can be a foot issue but it is most likely a cry for attention. I fostered a dog that would poop in the house at his previous home. Never once did he do it with me. His previous home had 2 children and he probably never got attention.

Weimeraners (sp?) are verrrrry energetic and not for people that aren't active. My mom wanted one once until she realized they are too smart for their own good. The breeder she went to visit would call the dogs to come in, and they would peak around the corner of the house and hide until she went back in. Then play time was back on!

Sounds like your DIL needs a betta. :twisted:

Also, post on Petfinder and/or Craigslist. Watch out for shady contact from Petfinder though. Do not advertise that you will give it away for free and you will avoid quite a bit of the animal testing folks. My mom was able to adopt out a Wheaton she was fostering on Petfinder and drove him up to his new family. She had them checked out beforehand too.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
I would contact your local Weimaraner rescue and see if they can offer any assistance in finding a home. They might be able to take the dog into their rescue, but if not may be able to assist in finding a home. Worth contacting them regardless.

Craigslist is a horrible way to rehome a dog, you would be just as well off to tie a sign around his/her neck and turn her loose.... :-x

Big dogs are great, people love them, till they realize they are big....

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Big dogs are great, people love them, till they realize they are big....
Right, now as if you know anything about big dogs ;-):D

Good luck with finding a new home for the Weimaraner!

·
Registered
523 Posts
Craigslist is a horrible way to rehome a dog, you would be just as well off to tie a sign around his/her neck and turn her loose.... :-x
I was able to re-home a roommates dog through CL. Petfinder is primarily for shelters or rescues and classified ads just aren't seen by as many people. I didn't receive any shady emails from CL but got several from Petfinder. I also didn't receive any interest from the Petfinder ad. I guess my experience has been different than yours.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts