Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I have a 2003 EX model.. I just finished hooking up a JVC DVD Double Din to the factory EX system..

All the speakers work, the subwoofer has signal to it.. But when I go to adjust the subwoofer level on the DVD deck, nothing happens.. All in short, I can't get the sub to pound like it did with the OEM deck with sub level set to MAX..

I hooked up an RCA cable to the factory black connector as follows:

Red w/white stripe = positive (the tip of RCA)
Pink w/black stripe = negative (shield of RCA)

Red w/blue stripe = not used

Can anyone help on this? Thanks alot!!!

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I think that you have to bypass the factory amp for the sub. There are a lot of threads about this. I did my system so long ago I do not remember. Somebody will be able to give you better information.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
number one. you obviously know what model you have so fill out your profile.

number two. you used the cheap harness with speaker wire connections and not the metra 70-1725 didnt you? the sub is working you just cant hear it because the input to the amp is being over driven compared to the sub input. either get the correct harness or wire 4 rcas into the input of the harness you have and you are done.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yoda E SC;794159 the metra 70-1725 didnt you? [/QUOTE said:
It has been a while since you did it. 70-1725 has no RCA's for the subs.

white rca -> front left
grey rca -> front right
green rca -> rear left
purple rca -> rear right

Hook those up and still nothing from your sub. You need to hook up the low level sub out from the deck to the correct input on cable going to the sub amp. It has nothing to do with the metra harness.

There is a thread that describes it well you can find it here http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52097&highlight=sub+wiring

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
It has been a while since you did it. 70-1725 has no RCA's for the subs.

white rca -> front left
grey rca -> front right
green rca -> rear left
purple rca -> rear right

Hook those up and still nothing from your sub. You need to hook up the low level sub out from the deck to the correct input on cable going to the sub amp. It has nothing to do with the metra harness.

There is a thread that describes it well you can find it here http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52097&highlight=sub+wiring
i didnt say that it did, if you look at his description of what he did you will see that he has already hooked up a cut off rca to the correct plug at the factory harness :rolleyes:

I hooked up an RCA cable to the factory black connector as follows:

Red w/white stripe = positive (the tip of RCA)
Pink w/black stripe = negative (shield of RCA)

Red w/blue stripe = not used

Can anyone help on this? Thanks alot!!!
the red/blue is the center pin and the red/white is the shield, not the way you have it. that being said you still wont hear it if you dont hook it up to the rcas from the new deck VIA 70-1725 or with cut off rcas hooked to the one you have now instead of speaker wires from the deck.

that is all

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just to clarify things up, all the speakers work fine INCLUDING the sub. But i jus cant adjust the SUB volume from the new JVC HU.

I just tried rewiring the Red/blue to positive, and Red/white to negative. But still no volume controls.

My HU has one MONO Sub Out (which is connected as described above).

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am not using the metra harness. Just an aftermarket radio harness. But the sub connection is not connected to that.

And i do have everything hooked up like that diagram...

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
again, is your radio hooked up thru rca's to that harness like the metra one is or do you have them connected to the speaker output on the new radio? if you have them hooked to the speaker outputs then chances are the sub control IS working and you just cant hear the differentce because you are putting too much input the the amp because you are driving speaker level inputs to it rather than the rca level inputs you sohould be sending to it. look at it like the difference between yelling and talking at a normal level...into a microphone. the original radio has all 5 inputs (fl,fr,rl,rr&sub) all talking at a normal level into the microphone. now you have fl,fr,rl,rr all yelling into the mic while sub is still talking into it at a normal level. even if you tried to adjust sub un and down you wouldnt hear him cause he is still lower than the other 4 even when turned all the way up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

This is the harness i used.. i dont think i can use RCA's in the metra harness because my HU dont have rca outputs.. only the one MONO sub out..

So does this mean, it can't be done? I can adjust the volume of the stock sub?

Quick question though, the male RCA that i tapped into the factory sub harness is thin.. What I mean is that when I stripped the RCA cable, the positive and negative leads are very thin.. especially the positive lead. Would this be why?

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
It sounds like you're putting speaker-level directly to the inputs of the amp...I'm not talking about the sub input, but the inputs going to the highs and mids. Since speaker-level is going to them, but RCA-level is going to the sub, the highs are overpowering the subwoofer's output.

To help explain the different signal levels, see here http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56823

What model JVC do you have? You may have to use a line-level converter if the other channels don't have RCA outputs.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
^^Yeah,I would have to agree with BigAl and Yoda on this. Also which JVC unit are you using? It seems a bit odd that it wouldn't have a full set of rca outputs.:confused:

·
Registered
1,859 Posts

This is the harness i used.. i dont think i can use RCA's in the metra harness because my HU dont have rca outputs.. only the one MONO sub out..

So does this mean, it can't be done? I can adjust the volume of the stock sub?

Quick question though, the male RCA that i tapped into the factory sub harness is thin.. What I mean is that when I stripped the RCA cable, the positive and negative leads are very thin.. especially the positive lead. Would this be why?
go to walmart (everybody has one within 20 miles) and go to the automotive section/car audio isle and get the clearish blue box that says scosche on it. it is about 18 or 19 bucks, and it is a 4 channel LOC. it will knock down the signal after it comes out of the deck before getting to the amp. it will go inline with the aftermarket radio harness and the harness that plugged into the factory radio harness, basically where you made your connections to mate the two together the first time.

i still dont see your radio having a single "sub output" rca and nothing else, but stranger things have happened. either way if you dont have the other 4 rcas to plug a 70-1725 into then this will work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The deck i have is JVC KW-AVX720. It does have a set of REAR OUT.

Could I just wire 4 RCAs into the harness i have now and use Y-connecters into the rear outs? Would this work? I would jus lose the fader control right?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
that is correct. or you could go to walmart and get that part i showed you and you would still have fad/bal and sub. what ever floats your boat.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
According to the instuction manual, you have both one set of RCA outputs for the full range AND a subwoofer output. You could wire it up the way we said and use y-adapters to hook up both front and rears, but you will lose fader control. ;-)

http://resources.jvc.com/Resources/00/01/15/GET0602-002A.pdf
See section C

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
DONE =)

Hooked up RCAs to replace speaker wires and it worked like a charm! I know have alot more bass! I lost the fader control, but i have sub volume control now..

Thanks alot guys, you're the man!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts