Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do trust my vet, but I trust more all of you E/pet owners/lovers.
So, to the point: more than 6 months ago my now 17 yo dog Annibale started losing hair in a big spot somewhere on his shoulder and he was tested for ring worm that came back negative. The vet still gave me antifungal Conzol which I have applied and in a month got rid of that spot and the hair grew back. Some time ago though, he again started losing hair on his back and this time it is ring worm (fluoresces under UV light). I have already started applying the Conzol lotion that was left from last time and washing and sanitizing his bed. Does any of you dog lovers has any experience with this fungus? How tough it is to get rid of? Is there also a shampoo thet could be used?

Any help will be greately appreciated. :)

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Oh jea, I hate to hear this. Not that it's a deadly condition or anything it's just such a pain to deal with.

typical treatment is a couple or three baths in a medicated shampoo every other day - if it's really bad the vet may want to go with some medications, but that's typically not the case.

bad part, this is stuff can and does transfer from pets to humans... so you have to be religious about cleaning everything, it's time to wash everything in hot water - be sure to add bleach to the wash. If you can't stuff it in the washing machine, get a bucket of bleach water and wash it where it is.

if it comes to it, shaving the pup can actually help eliminate the ringworm.

my guess is the vet missed it to begin with, but hey - that's just a guess. :|

hang in there, it could be worse. ;-) at least it's almost time for 'spring cleaning' anyway.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh jea, I hate to hear this. Not that it's a deadly condition or anything it's just such a pain to deal with.

typical treatment is a couple or three baths in a medicated shampoo every other day - if it's really bad the vet may want to go with some medications, but that's typically not the case.

bad part, this is stuff can and does transfer from pets to humans... so you have to be religious about cleaning everything, it's time to wash everything in hot water - be sure to add bleach to the wash. If you can't stuff it in the washing machine, get a bucket of bleach water and wash it where it is.

if it comes to it, shaving the pup can actually help eliminate the ringworm.

my guess is the vet missed it to begin with, but hey - that's just a guess. :|

hang in there, it could be worse. ;-) at least it's almost time for 'spring cleaning' anyway.
I was counting on your reply, you know? I was seriously just planning on cleaning real well the carpet in our apartment, so that's fine. All his bedding has been washed well with hot water and bleach and I will repeat the procedure. For now I was given just Conzol lotion 1%, that I apply once a day, since it looks like it's localized on his back closer to his tail. I could think of geting the medicated shampoo and wash him well few times. We have already been through a similar thing (frequent smelly baths) with this guy for treatment of another nasty parassite of the skin (don't know the name now). Looks like he is very susceptible to this stuff.

And you are right, it could be worse. He is still doing well (even gaining waight) despite the vet diagnosed him with malignant melanoma almost 1 year ago. He was also attacked on Saturday by a lab mix that was not on a leash. Luckily he just got really scared (keep in mind he does not hear and the dog came from behind).

Benny, thanks for your help. I will keep you posted. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts