Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys im new to this site. I'm in desperate help for a roof rack system for my Element. I have a 17 foot kayak and i need to find a roof rack which will be safe and secure for my boat. The system that comes from Honda would work, except for the fact that the bars are so close together (maybe 3 feet apart) and i dont think this would be secure. I think that the bars need to be further apart to better hold the boat.

so my question is this: does anyone have a kayak roof racking system that would be appropriate for such a large kayak?

thank you so much ahead of time. If you have any input or suggestions at all please feel free.

walter

·
Registered
48 Posts
We have a 17' canoe on our Element using a Thule rack system that attaches to the factory roof brackets. They are only 3' apart but the canoe is quite stable at 70 mph because it is secured to the front and rear of the car with tie downs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have you tried it yet?

Hey Walter, I am currently faced with the same issue. I just bought a 17' kayak, and have a factory installed roof rack on the Element. I'm wondering if it will be okay to transport as long as I have the front and back tied down?

·
Registered
816 Posts
Spread bars to better hold a long kayak

makemyday835

We have 16 1/2 and 17 1/2 foot kayaks and had the same issue. Installed the TPS Lizard rack and when we haul the long kayaks (also have a couple or rec 12 footers) we attach Thule bars to the top. Similar to joebh set up. See a couple images => http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=754369&postcount=23

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had the THULE folding J racks and aero bars. Had a failure with the feet anchors....THULE was great on the claim. I use the slipstream now...and the folding j racks for the occasional 2nd kayak and the standard thule bars....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Walter: I know just what you mean! I have the same problem. I have a 17'6" Nordkapp kayak. I have Yakima crossbars on my Element, set at the positions dictated by the Elements footing positions. The fore-and-aft distance between the crossbars is way too short! To carry the kayak on normal kayak cradles (with the ****pit facing up) would put too much distorting force on the kayak. My solution as of now is to use a "vertical" stacker such as this Yakima:

http://www.rockcreek.com/yakima-racks/kayak-stacker-w-tie-down/

However, I am working on a different solution. I have a question posted today (9/14) on this question. I am asking for advise on drilling holes thru the left rear corner and the right rear corner of my Elements roof so I can install Yakima Bolt Toploaderss and Yakima 1A Hirise Towers:

http://www.rockcreek.com/search.asp?searchText=yakima+bolt+toploader&image1.x=13&image1.y=6

http://www.rockcreek.com/yakima-racks/1a-hirise-towers/

I hope someone will give me advise or instruction on drilling thru the roof.

Johann (John)

hey guys im new to this site. I'm in desperate help for a roof rack system for my Element. I have a 17 foot kayak and i need to find a roof rack which will be safe and secure for my boat. The system that comes from Honda would work, except for the fact that the bars are so close together (maybe 3 feet apart) and i dont think this would be secure. I think that the bars need to be further apart to better hold the boat.

so my question is this: does anyone have a kayak roof racking system that would be appropriate for such a large kayak?

thank you so much ahead of time. If you have any input or suggestions at all please feel free.

walter

·
Registered
26 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
TPS rack with longer kayak

I attached a few photos of the TPS rack and our Kaskazi 19 1/2 ft tandem kayak on our Element and using roller loader which you can buy at
http://www.amagansettbeachco.com/indexrl.asp?Type=RL

The roller loader works great for loading kayaks on the tall ( compared to my VW passat wagon) Element and the TPS racks are much better for long kayaks or canoes than the E factory rack setup . I earlier posted photos of 18 ft canoes on them also

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Rller loader and TPS rack

By the way that is my 120 lb wife unloading our 19 1/2 ft tandem kayak off our Element.

·
Registered
65 Posts
drilling holes in Element -not

Johann Fu, I strongly suggest not drilling holes in the roofline of the Element. I was investigating the same options as you were and even bought the Thule Tracker mounting kits. However after I got a element factory manual and saw all the side air bag hardware that is mounted right under the rear roof quarters, I realized that blind drilling into the rear roof quarters was a very bad idea . Instead I saw the TPS racks on this website, drove down to Vero Beach and ordered his second TPS rack. It works great for what I wanted, a sturdy way to carry one or two longer ( 16-21 ft) canoes, kayaks or surf skis on the highways all around Florida.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have a Yakima rack system that uses the factory Honda mounting points. This past summer I picked up a Wilderness Systems Tsunami 165 (16.5 foot long) sea kayak. I carry the kayak using Yakima Mako saddles on the front crossbar and Yakima Hully Rollers on the rear crossbar. I also use tie-downs on the front and rear. Plenty safe and secure, both on the highway and on the many rough old logging roads around where I live. I have not had any issues with carrying the boat this way, other than the mild inconvenience of not being able to open the rear lift-gate when the tie-downs are attached. I have also carried a 17' Alumacraft canoe on the Yakima bars with no ill effects... again, also using front and rear tie-downs.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Where can I get tps lizard?

I've been looking for a sorce or info on the lizard rack and cannot find anything. I have an 18 foot rowing shell to sport and this sounds ideal. Help me out please?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Bump for info on the TPS rack as well. I have 2 17' kayaks to put in the roof and would really like the extra span that this would allow. Is the tubing the same size as the yakima cross bars? I already have yakima accessories. I just want to know if I should cut bait and order new towers for my existing yakima system.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts