Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new replacement shift knob (5 spd.)

http://www.rsversion.com/details.asp?ProdID=227 TR-HCS R Style Manual Shift Knob - Silver

:?: What about the retaining tab that connects to the boot? Replacement knob(s) don't have the male end retaining tabs. How did you fix it? Without the tab attached the boot flops around the shift lever.

Any and all replies welcome.

Thanks!

·
Registered
894 Posts
Non-Honda shift knowbs will prolly require a new shift boot. See my postings on my momo install.

Reactions: ShanDaMan_06LX

·
Registered
10 Posts
I looked for your "momo install" post. No luck. Maybe I didn't look hard enough.
Anyhow, I had the same question about the shift boot. There is no way to modify the existing boot? Anyway, direct me to your install post.

thanks
Zaniac

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
zaniac- Click on the search link and enter "Komo" in the search field. It will bring up all posts relating to "Momo"

isketerol - thanks for the post

I read your post then got back to looking how to fabricate the fittings so I could keep the OEM boot. Not that I don't like the Momo boot. Maybe it was just the challenge of getting this to work.

:D SUCCESS! :D

It's wasn't very easy but it looks great. I'm very happy with the result. In order to get this to work I used the following:

Razor Blade
Dremel Tool - with Grinding/cutoff wheel
1 Rubber O-Ring
Roto Zip w/Grinding Head/Grinding wheel would also work **
1 Plastic washer (thin and flexible)

Basically I removed the retaining tabs from the OEM knob and modified the tabs to work with the new knob.

I removed the vinyl covering from the OEM knob to expose the molded plastic core that has the retaining tabs. I then cut a segement that contains the tabs. I then ground down the piece with the dremel grinding wheel to fit. The new knob came with a lock nut which I had to grind down a bit to fit in between the tabs and inside of finishing ring. When assembled the retaining tab is sandwiched between the lock nut and knob. The boot will then fit back into the retaining tabs locking it in place. No more floppy shift boot.

The o-ring is used to fill in a very small gap between the knob bottom and top of the finishing ring.

The washer was used to align the knob. I was having problems aligning the knob so the gear pattern faced forward.

I'll post pictures and the assembly very soon.

** Used to grind down lock nut. I probably could have gone looking for a slimmer nut. It was getting late and I had already cut into the OEM knob. I was to far commited to start a search for a nut.

FYI - Once you cut into the OEM knob you've entered the point of no return. It's a one shot deal modifiying the retaining tab, work carefully and slowly. The tools really helped!

Reactions: ShanDaMan_06LX

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the post. Should help me out a lot. The worst I can do is mess it up and have to buy a new shift boot. Which is what I was planning on doing anyhow if I can't modify.
thanks Again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts