Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! Need your valuable input here....
A dealer has offered my $22,200 for a green EX 4WD (Auto)Element with the following options:

(1) side steps
(2) keyless entry
(3) security system
(4) mud flaps
(5) wheel locks

Should I take it? I have 12 hours to make the decision. Any feedback is welcomed!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
ct221933,
That sounds like a reasonable offer! Thats almost exactly what I got from my dealer in CT.I did not get the sidesteps but everything else so it sounds very reasonable! I hope the rest of the site has given you some input in your decision. Good luck!!!!!!!!!! Barry

·
Registered
74 Posts
I think it sounds reasonable, I don't know how the dealers in your area are handling priceing but the ones here in the midwest are being pretty stiff. I could get a basic AWD EX for 20850 but thats with no accessories. You might try to get them to go down to 21750 or so. I ended up ordering a 2wd ex manual and my dealer qouted me 18610 (500 off sticker) but when it came time to close the deal I asked him to come another 500 off and he willingly did, even though no other dealer would budge from sticker. I was very very pleased. I hope you get the best deal possible! :lol:

·
Registered
338 Posts
I can tell you Green and Orange (and Shoreline) are hard to come by...
It wouldn't last 12 hours in Virginia !

·
Registered
5 Posts
It sounds like a reasonable price.

The accessories are worth a total $672 uninstalled, if you buy them from hondacuraworld or handacessories (keyless entry, $107; security system, $161; sidesteps, $315; splash guards, $59; wheel locks, $30). Installation isn't a big deal. My dealer installed the keyless entry, roof rack, splash guards and wheel locks in less than an hour. My trusted mechanic of 10 years installed the fog lights ($252), exhaust finisher ($21) and all-season floor mats ($100) in two hours and charged $120 for the labor). So you're paying about $21,528 for your Element.

According to Edmunds.com, the "true market value" of a Galapagos Green 4WD Element EX in Connecticut is $21,270, including a destination charge of $460, color adjustment of $6 and a regional adjustment of $-46. So you're not too far off from that price, considering the dealer put in some labor to install the accessories.

However, according to autotrader.com, there is a dealer holdback of $626 on the EX 4WD. That figure matches the $460 destination charge and the $200 dealer advertising fee. So if you're a haggler and the dealer is motivated, you might get a further break. Or, you might just ask the dealer to throw in floor mats, or some other accessory you want, to seal the deal, in my humble opinion. It doesn't hurt to try. Good luck! :lol:

·
Registered
46 Posts
[quote:23606496c3="ct221933"]Hi! Need your valuable input here....
A dealer has offered my $22,200 for a green EX 4WD (Auto)Element with the following options:

(1) side steps
(2) keyless entry
(3) security system
(4) mud flaps
(5) wheel locks

Should I take it? I have 12 hours to make the decision. Any feedback is welcomed!![/quote:23606496c3]

I come up with a price of $21,853

I find that you have "keyless remote" listed along with the security system. You should get the keyless remote with security system...its part of the system.

I think the overall price that you are receiving is sound...at MSRP. My difference is a slight discount in pricing on the E.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:?: Need more advice.....

I did not take up the offer because it was our first visit to the dealership. I take it that $21,853 will be a good price with the options I want (according to Jerry).

I currently have an 97 Audi A4 1.8T that I would like to trade in. The dealer does not know I want to trade in the car when we were negotiating the price. I plan to bring up the trade in car only when we finalize the new car price.

My wife absolutely wants a SOP or Green Element, and as we all know, these colors are on the waiting list for weeks or even months!

My questions are :

(1) Assuming that the dealer and I agree on the new car price and the trade-in price, do I hand over the trade-in car to the dealer immediately and consider the trade in price as deposit while waiting for the new car to arrive?

(2) How do I ensure that I really have the SOP element when one is allocated to my dealer?

Thanks to all!

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
get a vin number for the element that you are told is yours.

and sounds like you are doing great, I would love to hear how everything went!

·
Registered
46 Posts
[quote:0ade840d32="ct221933"]:?: Need more advice.....

I did not take up the offer because it was our first visit to the dealership. I take it that $21,853 will be a good price with the options I want (according to Jerry).

I currently have an 97 Audi A4 1.8T that I would like to trade in. The dealer does not know I want to trade in the car when we were negotiating the price. I plan to bring up the trade in car only when we finalize the new car price.

My wife absolutely wants a SOP or Green Element, and as we all know, these colors are on the waiting list for weeks or even months!

My questions are :

(1) Assuming that the dealer and I agree on the new car price and the trade-in price, do I hand over the trade-in car to the dealer immediately and consider the trade in price as deposit while waiting for the new car to arrive?

(2) How do I ensure that I really have the SOP element when one is allocated to my dealer?

Thanks to all![/quote:0ade840d32]

First of all, when you were talking with the dealership...did they ask you about a trade in?

That is one of the first series of questions that I ask. Here is why. Lets use an example, say that you have a trade that KBB says has a 5,000 value in good condition. Lets say that the "real value" of your car is 4,000 (happens every day...day in and day out KBB over values cars) Lets also say that you owe 6,000 on the car...you are in effect working from about a 2,000 negative equity.

Is this important? You bet it is.

Or how about financing? It would be important for the dealership to know if you have good credit or a BK...right?

The point I am trying to make is this. This isn't the "game" that it used to be. In my dept, we take our business very seriously. It is my job to help people buy a Honda. If I get the "hint" of any game playing or deciet...its bye bye. The same is said of my customers, if they thought that I was playing any games or hiding any info...they would go somewhere else. That is my business philosiphy...and it works really well.

Call the dealership that you worked price with. Tell the salesman that you want to have you trade in evaluated. This will tell you what the dealership is willing to pay for your car. You then have the option to take it to a Car Max type place to get another opinion...or to sell it youself. Call yor bank and get the 20 day payoff on your financing. Now you know what you really have to have for a "trade figure". If everything looks good, then bring your title to the dealership with you. You will leave your car at the dealership when you take physical delivery of the new vehicle.

It is also a good idea when you are having your car evaluated, to take the time to complete a credit application for pre-approval. You want the delivery proces to go smoothly, with all variables to be addressed.

Buying a car is kinda like making a cake. If you dont have all of the ingredients, then you have a crappy cake...make sense?

Good luck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Jerry Murray,
Good advice! Be honest and upfront. Make no mistake, your dealer is going to make some money getting rid of your vehicle!! Thats business.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just bought my FWD EX (auto) Element a couple of days back for $19,923 plus some nominal charges and taxes. This brought the price upto 20k. The local dealers (South Bend, IN) refused to bargain and quoted the list price only. So I bought the vehicle from Chicago. All I ever did was send out emails and call these guys up. Once the price was decided I walked in with the check and out with my baby! The dealer also threw in free splash guards, which I took in exchange for full marks on the honda survey! I was gonna give him full marks anyway, so it worked out pretty well for me.

My advice to anyone interested in purchasing an element is to slug it out with the dealers. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts