Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys; I have a little problem, abd I can't seem to get any info from the local Honda dealer so I figured I would ask the pros. I had to R&R my 5 speed trans to have some new bearings installed by a local trans shop and I got it reinstalled Saturday but I have 2 slight problems. The first poblem was caused by me. :mad: While removing the cradle, I left the ball joints alone and dropped the hubs with the cradle which meant removing the ABS wheel speed sensors. The right side came right out but the left side did not want to budge and with a little too much pressure applied by my persuader (24 inch prybar) the sensor broke off in the hub. I was able to get the remains out of the hub but could not find a replacement sensor on Saturday so I figured I would just order one at my convenience and drive with the ABS light on for now. No big deal right? After I got the trans back in and drove the Element, the trans sounds great again but after about 1 mile the Check Engine Light came on and I noticed my speedo was not working. I pulled back into the garage and checked the electrical component and plug on the front of the trans and it seemed fine. I removed the connector and inspected the pins and all looked normal. I reinstalled it and drove it again and it is still inop. I researched the sensor on Hondapartsdeals.com and was not able to locate what I was sure was the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS). I called my local dealer Monday and the parts dude there was in the same quandary as I.:? We located the sensor I thought was the VSS on the front of the case and it is called a pick-up assembly. (item no. 8 on the parts diagram for the transmission case) The parts dude said he thinks that is some type of neutral safety switch and not a VSS. He was unable to locate a VSS and said he would do some more digging but he did not know where else to go. Once again I have stumped the parts guys!! I am beginning to wonder if the LF ABS speed sensor has something to do with the VSS??? Am I chasing my tail looking for a sensor on the trans or does such a thing even exist? Does anyone know for sure where the VSS is and if so what is the part number so I can call the parts dude and tell him what to order along with my ABS wheel speed sensor. I know I am making this out to be more than it is, but my brain is a little worn out from fighting a battle with my Medical insurance company at the same time the trans was out of the Element so I am not thinking very clearly at the moment. Once again, Thanks in advance for any help you can give me, Steve

·
Registered
657 Posts
This is the speed sensor (not a neutral safety switch). I did this once when I reinstalled mine. The sensor is #8 outlined in red. Check the washer #12 outlined in green. This is actually a spacer. Note that it is supposed to be IN-BETWEEN the sensor and the case. If the washer is placed on the wrong side - bolt >washer>sensor - then the sensor will be crushed against the gears in the transmission.

By the way, if you had it out, why didn't you throw in a 6th gear?:grin:

Here is the name of the sensor from the parts catalog:

28820-PWR-013 PICK-UP ASSY. $40.22

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought that was the VSS but the catalog is vague. I am going to put it up in the air at lunch today and look at the spacer, my guess is that is the problem. Does having the spacer in the wrong place destroy the sensor??
In reference to the 6 speed conversion, believe you me I really wanted to do this while it was apart, but time and funds are very limited in my household right now. I am getting ready to have spinal fusion surgery in 3 days and will be off work for 1 month as well as the $6k out of pocket for my insurance policy. I really had to pull some strings to even get the bearings replaced like pulling the trans myself and having a friend who works for a little trans shop do the repairs under the table after hours etc. All said, I have about $350 in the job now and more after I buy the ABS sensor and a VSS and this is really stretching the budget as it is. Enough said, the 6 speed will have to wait until next winter when I can pull the trans again and tear it apart myself hopefully. Thanks for the help.
Steve

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well you nailed it on the head with your diagnosis!! The spacer was not even there and when I removed the sensor, the end of it was ground off :mad:. I drained the fluid and looked for parts and pieces but did not really see any. I hope the magnets that used to be in the sensor stuck to something inert and not on a shaft or gear that will cause it to slowly grind into small pieces that will tear up my new bearings. :-(
Of course the dealer does not have the part in stock so I will have to wait for 2 days before I can fix it. I hope I can get it done before I go under the knife on Friday. It really does not matter though because I will be stuck at home recovering and can't drive for about 6 weeks anyhow and I will not be able to install the parts myself for probably 4 months until my back heals. I guess I will get one of my buddies to come over and fix it. It will be a good excuse to enjoy an adult beverage and shoot the breeze with someone other than my wife for a while.
Thanks again for the help you guys are the best!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well you nailed it on the head with your diagnosis!! The spacer was not even there and when I removed the sensor, the end of it was ground off :mad:. I drained the fluid and looked for parts and pieces but did not really see any. I hope the magnets that used to be in the sensor stuck to something inert and not on a shaft or gear that will cause it to slowly grind into small pieces that will tear up my new bearings. :-(
Of course the dealer does not have the part in stock so I will have to wait for 2 days before I can fix it. I hope I can get it done before I go under the knife on Friday. It really does not matter though because I will be stuck at home recovering and can't drive for about 6 weeks anyhow and I will not be able to install the parts myself for probably 4 months until my back heals. I guess I will get one of my buddies to come over and fix it. It will be a good excuse to enjoy an adult beverage and shoot the breeze with someone other than my wife for a while.
Thanks again for the help you guys are the best!!!
Hi Kayak Racer

Can you please tell me if your issue with the pickup sensor started working again after putting in the spacer? Did you have problems with the old broken pieces in your transmission? Thank you very much

1 - 5 of 5 Posts