Honda Element Owners Club banner

HELP - Wax on front plastic bumper near headlights problem

2K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  Gnu Blue Box 
#1 ·
Hi,

I need some help! There is a slight white haze on the front left plastic bumper, just under the headlight. I've seen this problem on the exterior plastic parts of my Civic and it won't come off! Is there something I can do to remove this? Do you think the dealer would somehow remove it?

I think it's wax, probably from the dealership (only bought the car two weeks ago) and it's only a small area, but I can't get it off. I've tried dish soap, a dish scrubbing pad, paper towels.. it won't come out! help!

Alcohol maybe?

:shock:

#2 ·
[quote:ddfeaa2565="Redpunk"]Hi,

I need some help! There is a slight white haze on the front left plastic bumper, just under the headlight. I've seen this problem on the exterior plastic parts of my Civic and it won't come off! Is there something I can do to remove this? Do you think the dealer would somehow remove it?

I think it's wax, probably from the dealership (only bought the car two weeks ago) and it's only a small area, but I can't get it off. I've tried dish soap, a dish scrubbing pad, paper towels.. it won't come out! help!

Alcohol maybe?

:shock:[/quote:ddfeaa2565]

Goo-Gone?

I wouldn't use alcohol on plastic.

#4 ·
We found a post on another forum that suggested creamy peanut butter. It worked! I just got a little pea-sized amount on my finger tip and rubbed in in and rubbed it right off. Quick, cheap and easy fix. It has been about 12 hours and it looks fine... no haze, oily residue or anything.

#6 ·
I don't think it matters as long as it's creamy (the chunky may scratch). I used reduced fat Jif and it worked so my guess is any brand is fine. It's funny, my husband got wax on his civic 3 years ago and couldn't get it off with any car product or even good ole' elbow grease... but the PB worked wonders! He says it's like looking at a new car again.

#7 ·
At this rate, we may have to make Creamy Peanut Butter the Official Snack of EOC.

We can put together an EOC Prize Basket for car care - including....PB!

#8 ·
Our garage is an 18?? log driveshed that's been converted into a two car garage, most of the barn swallows have vacated but I've got one #@$!* who's left three separate streaks down the passenger rear quarter. I've tried all sorts of cleaners but nothing until the peanut butter. Plain old no name pb took the streaks completely out. There's a very faint shiny haze left but I think it'll fade after a couple of washes.

#10 ·
I can confirm from my own experience (just had the problem last weekend) that peanut butter does the trick - I used Jif, creamy.

My science-geek spouse 8) said its probably the oils in the peanut butter that draw out the residue from the plastic. All I know is it worked like a charm.

#11 ·
Peanut butter works.....but how about making it easier on yourself. The reason PB works is because of the oil in it. Any cooking oil will work. I use canola and a cloth.....no problem :twisted:

#13 ·
IRV said:
FYI

Peanut butter also is pretty good on removeing gum.
Again because of the oil in it. I have never had to use it but, maybe someday, when I have kids, I will have to remember. When kids are kids and put gum in eachothers hair, peanut butter or vegitable oil supposedly works as the greasiness gets between the gum and hair, clothes, or other surface and will remove the stickiness. Thus allowing the gum to slide out. As was mentioned, it has been said that any vegitable oils will also work. Olive Oil, Canola, Corn and Peanut as well as others.

For the shiny spot that is left over, try wiping down with a grease cutting soap like dawn. That might help. Be careful though about getting it on the paint. It might also remove your wax and sealant from where you want it. Take a damp rag soaked with Water and Dawn. Wipe down, rinse and dry. That should help with the sheen from the peanut butter or oil.

Incidentally, some have said that Peanut Butter MIGHT have a slight advantage over the oil alone because of the mild abrasive of the peanut inside it. You do not want to use CHUNKY because it would have course grain in it. However, creamy will have some grain, probably very very fine which might be just enough scrubbing abrasion to take off the wax residue.

#14 ·
The other advantage PB has over oil is it won't run. This allows oil solvent to stay in contact a little longer, no run off.

Bye the bye, you are correct in the use of an oil/grease remover (dawn) after. I hesitate to recommend this on the car, only because it might remove wax. Highly recommend oil remover or degreaser after use in carpeting, followed by through rinsing with water to remove residue, minimizes resoiling.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.