Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
-axles and bushings
-sway bar links + bushings
-tie rods-front and back
-brakes, maybe rotors
May be more.

Where is a good place to buy these parts?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Don’t think you’ll be able to find OEM axles at a decent price so you should have yours rebuilt or get them auto zone. Everything else you can get from Honda.

I’ve had the best luck and best prices from hondaautomotiveparts.com - they’re based out of Rhode Island, have the best prices and ship fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
227 Posts
I use a lot of different sources for parts.

1) local dealership
2) local car parts stores
3) online dealerships, like: hondapartsnow.com or hondapartscheap.com
4) amazon
5) rockauto.com
6) junkyard

buying original Honda parts vs. aftermarket is always going to be a cost vs. time/quality decision you will need to make.

If you buy an original Honda part, you’re pretty much guaranteed to get something that 1) will work 2) will fit and get installed.

Going aftermarket is sometimes tricky. Sometimes ... not always ... 1) you get a part that does not exactly fit right. maybe the screw holes don’t line up right, making you leave out one bolt or screw. Maybe the sizes of the bolts don’t fit and you need to re-use your old bolts. Maybe you need to modify the part a little by sanding/cutting it down OR maybe you need to shave or cut a part of your car’s body to get it to fit. 2) sometimes the part wears out faster. 3) sometimes there is bad quality control and the part doesn’t work out of the box.

So in summary, I buy original Honda parts if I dont mind the cost, and i want to finish with less frustration. I buy aftermarket when the price difference is pretty extreme, and I wont mind some extra annoyance installing the part. In addition, I keep in mind that I might have to do it all over again if the part doesn’t work, or it breaks in a month.

my parts shopping usually goes like this:
1) check hondapartsnow.com they list their price, and suggested dealership price.
2) check amazon
3) call any auto parts store and ask for a price and see if they have the part in stock, and if not in stock ask for the closest store that does have it in stock.
4) is the dealer open? Call them for a price.
5) decision time: do I need it now? Go to dealer or auto parts store. Can I wait for mail delivery so I can get a cheaper online price or a cheaper amazon price?

my last “repair” was the door actuator on my wife’s element. Strange thing occurred when activating the lock with the key fob, the car would try to unlock itself 8-9 times before it actually unlocked. I suspected the actuator, but you always want to test before changing it out. Well, I had the door panel pulled apart ... yes the actuator was bad. It’s 6pm, the dealership is closed. The car door panel is all apart. the decision is to either 1) buy aftermarket from a local parts store now and fix it now or 2) put the door panel back together again, and redo everything tomorrow buying a dealership part OR waiting a few days for mail order delivery. I chose aftermarket from parts store because I wanted to finish and be done.

·
Premium Member
2007 Element EX TRP
2,452 Posts
Like others have said, it (at least partially) depends on time. I have been buying from rockauto.com for many years and, for the most part, been very satisfied with what I received. Prices are (often) better than Amazon, and they ship quicker, as well. Never had a part that didn"t "fit right", just make sure you have the right info "punched in" before you buy (yea, I know, it SHOULD be a no-brainer, but......:cautious:). Good luck in your "rebuild"! :cool:

·
Registered
416 Posts
Hondacarpartsdirect.com They are legit, just bought an OEM power steering pump from them. I know you just asked about suspension, but I suggest going OEM when it's time to replace the alternator, and power steering pump. Or have the alternator rebuilt. Like others have shared, I have learned the hard way and almost always go OEM now on parts. Even on performance builds most guys I have talked to stick with mostly Honda parts because they are quality.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hondacarpartsdirect.com They are legit, just bought an OEM power steering pump from them. I know you just asked about suspension, but I suggest going OEM when it's time to replace the alternator, and power steering pump. Or have the alternator rebuilt. Like others have shared, I have learned the hard way and almost always go OEM now on parts. Even on performance builds most guys I have talked to stick with mostly Honda parts because they are quality.
I think you might need to be careful when you say “OEM“ with this OP. At Canadian Tire where The OP shopped (On a different thread) there is an aftermarket brand called OEM. IMHO, it’s somewhat deceptive, calling yourself OEM and selling aftermarket stuff. Kind of like Harbor freight using the brand “Pittsburgh“ tools, when it’s made overseas, or using the brand “Central Pneumatic” providing the same tools and using the same color scheme as the more established “Chicago Pneumatic” company.

as for alternators, instead of getting a new Honda or (I also don’t recommend) going aftermarket, you can consider trying to find an alternator rebuilder. They are usually these shops that are called ”Local Town Alternator and Starter”, and the company consists of some 70 year old guy as the owner and employee, with his 40 year old daughter as the secretary/cashier/next-in-line to own the business. Theyve probably been in business rebuilding alternators for 40 years and are much more likely to put reliable rebuild parts in, instead of the cheapest possible.

my experience with an aftermarket power steering pump is that the plastic nozzle on the “in” side was too big. (they were visually the same, until I took some calipers and measure it ... not the same) It wound up ripping my power steering hose. So my car was down an extra day ... I took the old Nozzle part off my old pump, and needed to buy a new hose.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Like others have said, it (at least partially) depends on time. I have been buying from rockauto.com for many years and, for the most part, been very satisfied with what I received. Prices are (often) better than Amazon, and they ship quicker, as well. Never had a part that didn"t "fit right", just make sure you have the right info "punched in" before you buy (yea, I know, it SHOULD be a no-brainer, but......:cautious:). Good luck in your "rebuild"! :cool:
adding more stories about “fit” and Aftermarket.
1) window regulator/motor with one bolt hole in the wrong place ... so I left out one bolt. I guessed it was probably a universal part made to fit multiple cars.
2) radiator fan Motor/shroud assembly, also with a bolt hole offset and in the wrong place. Since this was close to the bolt hole, I used a zip tie instead... maybe a few years later I needed to replace the radiator, so During that time I took the old Honda fan shroud (Which I kept), and took the motor off of the New aftermarket one and put it into the old shroud before reinstalling.
3) having the experience of #2, when another Honda vehicle of mine had a radiator fan go out, I only bought the Aftermarket motor, instead of the whole motor/shroud assembly. This aftermarket motor came with different sized screws than original. I re used my old screws.

note that this Post is not a knock on rock auto. its a knock on aftermarket parts. I think I got these parts from auto parts stores and amazon.

regarding rock auto though. In the distant past, their shipping was slow. More recently, they’ve really improved, being faster than amazon these days. Shipping is sometimes “expensive“ (I should more properly say “normal”, were so used to free shipping these days) from rock auto, especially if you are getting parts from multiple warehouses from rockauto. Only one disappointment from rock auto is once I bought windshield wipers from them that were in “Wholesaler closeout Sale”. Turns out the rubber on the wipers were really old, and they did not last very long.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm very much so stuck on the control arms as they might be my most expensive individual part. Honda sells for $310 CAD each. The cheapest may have been rock auto at $55 each. They only have one to pick from tho and in the picture it looks actually used... I'm very stuck as to where to by the arms.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am thinking for control arms(and other parts too expensive to buy at Honda), between :

Moogparts.ca
RK622174 and RK622173

NAPA
NCT 2607588 and NCT 2607589

PartSource
BJ59355XL

Opinions???

1 - 10 of 10 Posts