Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Background: I have a well loved well maintained 2005 EX that just hit 100k miles. I'm the second owner and plan to keep her for a looong time but she's just a bit too nice to haul wood in. I cut and haul my own while tending fencelines and field edges and pretty much heat with wood. My current wood beast is a 1994 voyager on about an 8 mile leash and requiring more frequent and more makeshift patches. Last legs but still doing what needs to be done. Mostly. I do all my own wrenching but would not look forward to a starter on the E as an example.

There is a 2004 Element, SOP, EX, 200k miles, no codes, fair tires that probably would fill that niche. $3550, LOTS of suspension work done, brakes, VTEC valve and sensor assembly, synthetic oil change, all filters, all Honda fluids etc. done and documented. A bit rough but not nasty. Not too far from me. I trust the mechanic. Tempting BUT... NO history of valve adjustment or starter replacement. Runs well, smooth cold idle, clean non-salvage title, etc., but those two things give me pause. The starter can simply be weighed in as time/money as can a valve adjustment but with that it's more a question of whether damage has occurred already but sub code or symptom yet. Am I nuts to go out on this limb? Anything else I've seen locally is either waay bad or like my 05, not a 'beater'.

·
Premium Member
2,372 Posts
....or you could just put a hitch on the one you have and purchase a 4x8 trailer to haul the wood. With 1500# to play with, that's a LOT of wood. I've had this type of trailer for 12+ years and it has been well worth its weight in gold (towed all over the country). They run about $3-500, plus the cost of a hitch, but MUCH less than a "new" car with potential problems..... :)
Just my .02.... :unsure: :giggle:

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
....or you could just put a hitch on the one you have and purchase a 4x8 trailer to haul the wood. With 1500# to play with, that's a LOT of wood. I've had this type of trailer for 12+ years and it has been well worth its weight in gold (towed all over the country). They run about $3-500, plus the cost of a hitch, but MUCH less than a "new" car with potential problems..... :)
Just my .02.... :unsure: :giggle:
Thanks! I had thought about this in the past but somehow didn't put it into the equation this go-round. I'm coming up on tire time for my E anyway and that would buy me a set of a bit more agressive tires to boot.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts