Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2004 Element and got a great deal - the only issue with the vehicle was that the roof rack cross bars are missing. It has never really posed a problem until now. I am moving across the country and would like to utilize the roof rack.

Does anyone know where I can purchase cross bars ONLY, or if there are manufacturers (like Thule or Yakima) that make cross bars that fit the 2004 Element roof rack cross bar receivers?

Wit the expense of a cross country move for a cash strapped graduate student, I want to avoid having to purchase a whole new rack system. Finding used cross bars or non-Honda cross bars that will fit will allow me to remove seats, place on top, and fit more stuff in my cargo area.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, no, I am not sure, but that is a great point you make. The receivers are nondescript, with no discernible manufacturer markings. Another great call on posting pics for reference. Here they are:
Side view:

Top down showing bolts:

Angled view showing inside receiver:

Ever seen anything like this? The hardware is so nondescript in appearance it appeared to me to be installed by the manufacturer, but as I bought it used, I have no way of knowing. Thanks again for the help!

·
Registered
660 Posts
Have you tried unscrewing it and looking underneath? It looks identical to my Yakima landing pads, it possible it's Thule though.

Unfortunately yours is just the landing pads, you will need the control towers (if it's Yakima), as well as the load bars.

Load bars are really easy to find used on craigslist, the control towers are harder to find used but I've been seeing them pop up on ebay. 48" bars fit nicely, or you can get 58" bars if you want them to stick out on the sides of the car for extra luggage

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, RamblerDan and Menntoaster, I think we are getting somewhere.

I will unbolt the landing pads as soon as I can find time between grading and writing papers and report back with any discoveries.

I have had a couple of racks in my day (Yakima) but do not recall if the the control towers are one standard size, or if they vary by model (e.g. landing pads and control towers vary in size/shape for different models or racks and/or vehicles). What I am trying to say is if I can figure out what manufacturer it is, how will I know which size/model of control towers to purchase? Does this even make sense?

Thanks again folks! I'm getting excited about finding a solution here that does not cost $275 dollars!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, GaryS. We must have been composing our posts at the same time. Any insight you can offer on whether the control towers are standard one-size fits all landing pads? Or do I have to try and figure out which model these landing pads belong to?

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,898 Posts
That landing pad is Yakima p/n 8000229.

You'll need:
Control Tower (set of 4), p/n 8000214, $159
58" crossbars (set of 2), p/n 8000409, $70 (or a shorter model, according to taste)
Locks (set of 4), p/n 8007204, $55
44" fairing, p/n 8007048, $69

That's $353, plus tax and shipping, from Yakima. You can make your own fairing if you're handy, but you shouldn't do without the locks.

The Yakima Web site has a build-your-rack application, though (on Firefox at least) it's amazingly bad.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
Those clearly are the Yakima landingpads, so 'all' you need are the control towers and bars. Unfortunately, the landingpads are the least expensive part of the set. But the other parts can be used on you next car. I'm still using Yakima bars that I bought more than twenty years ago.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts