Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element Sunset Orange Pearl 2WD Automatic 135K Miles I Love It!
826 Posts
Welcome aboard! :)

Ouch! Road salt again! : - ( I don't mean to gloat, but I love it here in Florida!

Is it that bad in just the one spot, or is the whole under body look like that? If it's that bad over the whole under body, I would say keep searching.

I know those handicap / wheelchair ramps are seriously expensive though; usually adding more than $5000 to the value of a similar Element without the ramp.

Tell us more about the general condition of the car and perhaps send some more pictures, so we can possibly help you out.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Id pass.

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element Sunset Orange Pearl 2WD Automatic 135K Miles I Love It!
826 Posts
Well, that 1st picture looks better! Still, though that's quite a bit of rust.

It seems the real value is in the handicap / wheelchair ramp. As I recall, anytime I saw an Element with the ramp for sale, they were up there in price! Like $15K to $20K, even more! (I'm no expert, and some ramps are probably more valuable then others, and so forth.)

You might want to research the ramp prices. If you need the ramp, that might be as good of a price as you are likely to find.

I wish you well! :)

·
Registered
207 Posts
None of those crossmembers would survive a ball peen hammer tap, much less an accident, the 2 behind the 1st one in your picture are trashed as well. I bet i could take them apart with a gloved hand.

·
Registered
132 Posts
What part of the country is that one in? I'm assuming you need the ramp? I'd keep looking as well (unless you enjoy cutting and welding metal). Almost anything mechanical or cosmetic can be more easily repaired (relatively) than trying to reconstruct the underbody structure. Take a good look particularly where the rear suspension cross member and lower control arms mount; those are also areas that are prone to rust.

I'm looking for another E within 500 miles of Cincinnati; I've passed on several in the Chicago area with less than 100,000 miles because the underside, particularly the rear suspension, is rusted all to heck.

·
Premium Member
2007 Element EX TRP
2,448 Posts
I second those comments - PASS!! :confused: Looking around the rust from the first pic and you see a LOT more, most hidden under rust proofing/outer coating. Unless you have a welder in your pocket, it will cost you dearly (one way or another) to fix them. Keep looking or find a good one and convert. Good luck in your search!! (y):)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well sure it looks horrible. After tax and fees you'll have how much, less than $6000 tied up? Is the ramp simply manually operated or is the Element a manual. If the ramp itself is worth $5,000, can be transferred to another E, you need a ramp, the vehicle runs and drives fine, you don't need to worry about passing a state inspection and you can simply buy it and drive it awhile, I don't see the down side. Take it until you find a better E and swap over the ramp, cost permitting (talk with a local converter first). Then trade that one or sell it...I'm sure somebody will want it for the good engine, AC compressor etc for better than $1,000 especially if 4X4. So if the ramp has a $5,000 value and can be swapped cheap, then this is opportunity knocking IMHO. Best of luck.

·
Registered
39 Posts
That does look bad. What would be a good price for this? Those rust spots look like haggeling points and you can get a stick welder at harbor freight cheap:)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Well sure it looks horrible. After tax and fees you'll have how much, less than $6000 tied up? Is the ramp simply manually operated or is the Element a manual. If the ramp itself is worth $5,000, can be transferred to another E, you need a ramp, the vehicle runs and drives fine, you don't need to worry about passing a state inspection and you can simply buy it and drive it awhile, I don't see the down side. Take it until you find a better E and swap over the ramp, cost permitting (talk with a local converter first). Then trade that one or sell it...I'm sure somebody will want it for the good engine, AC compressor etc for better than $1,000 especially if 4X4. So if the ramp has a $5,000 value and can be swapped cheap, then this is opportunity knocking IMHO. Best of luck.
As long as you dont get tboned in the meantime...

·
Registered
128 Posts
That is pretty disturbing. It's frustrating to see a nice car that is all eaten up underneath. There's s difference between cosmetic rust and structural rust. Another overlooked part is the actual 'bumper' steel behind the bumper skin. I get under mine every year, and in addition to touching up the nagging little rust spots underneath, I put some more rust converter and then some Rustoleum gloss black over that. I bet there's not an Element around that has a back bumper that is worth anything. They're all crumbling steel. I also keep the control arms touched up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts