Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I would share what I camp in... A little boler, best trailer ever, fits my hubby, me and three dogs comfortably!!! It weighs 900lbs empty and I barely notice it's there!!! She's an oldie but a goody.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They aren't too hard to find really, I see them for sale here and there. They are fiberglass which is great as they don't rot and are easily repaired or modified. I was reading this section and was surprised to see that they weren't mentioned. They are perfect for cars that can't tow much over 1500lbs.

Here's a great site that has lots of information on light weight trailers:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/index.html

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
nice look kool

·
Registered
895 Posts
Stylin'! Do you know how they made it so light? Aluminum frame? Paper mache'? Anyway I feel a twinge of jealousy.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Great tailer What year is it?
I Have a 1972 Burro It is a great little trailer Fits one person and 2 dogs kinda tight but then again my dog are on the large side.
I will post photos when i get them resized

·
Registered
941 Posts
Stylin'! Do you know how they made it so light? Aluminum frame? Paper mache'? Anyway I feel a twinge of jealousy.
Frame is normal metal but the only wood is in the floor the body is molded fiberglass made in 2 parts and glued together no wooden support pure fiberglass.

Scamp still makes them but the old ones are cuter ( and cheaper)

·
Registered
895 Posts
Frame is normal metal but the only wood is in the floor the body is molded fiberglass made in 2 parts and glued together no wooden support pure fiberglass.

Scamp still makes them but the old ones are cuter ( and cheaper)
Cool. My friend just got a Fleetwood Tacoma hardside popup, and it weighs a lot (3500lbs?) But it's at the max for his 08 Odyssey. I would love something light like you have for camping. Most of the things are too heavy.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I always thought they called them eggs because of their shape... until I drilled a hole for a cable (for my satellite tv :) )... and realized the fiberglass doesn't seem much thicker than a 1/16 of an inch! This is why they are so lightweight.

I've 'showcased' my 1976 Scamp on here a few times... we love it! In little more than a couple of weeks I'll be pulling it all the way from my home in eastern Nebraska to the north rim of the Grand Canyon and a 1/2 dozen other national parks in between. I need to get one of those rv maps to highlight where we've been... starting to get around with this versatile camping combo.

·
Registered
394 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Pass

Hi there stargazer. If your heading to a lot National Parks I highly reccommend The national Park pass. Nice egg, I saw one goin thru N.J. Wednesday night and we all waved. (I was pullin my tear).
Great minds think alike..
Safe Travels

Best, MoonDrop

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Just thought I would share what I camp in... A little boler, best trailer ever, fits my hubby, me and three dogs comfortably!!! It weighs 900lbs empty and I barely notice it's there!!! She's an oldie but a goody.
Nice looking trailer but, its riding a bit low. Burros, Bolers, Cassitas, Clouds and Scamps are all pretty much the same and they have torsion suspension which will fatigue over the years if the trailer is not stored on jacks. We looked at over a dozen Scamps last year and most of them were stored on rubber and were saggy.
Here is a quote from Scamp's website.
"
 Removing weight from axle
Jack up the axle and block it up to take the weight off the suspension. The tires don’t have to be off the ground. Just take the main weight off the axle. Leaving the weight of the trailer on the suspension for extended periods while stored is extremely hard on the torsion axle. The rubber will compress and not relax as fully as before. Relieve tire pressure to 10 or 15 pounds while stored. This will extend your tire life. "
http://www.scamptrailers.com/AskScamp/Maintenance.aspx#exterior

We don't have much of a used market up here for sub 1500lb trailers, especially Scamps, so we ended up buying a new Sidekick 12' which is pretty close in size and features. I still want to restore a fiberglass egg and paint it GGM though.:)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts