Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When I do my valve adjust next month I'd like to replace the cam position sensor plate.

I know that the retaning bolt at the left end of the camshaft has a hex socket head, but not the socket size. It's not in the shop manual and I don't trust it to be a standard bolt with a 12mm socket. I don't have any large hex wrenches and would like to order just the size I need rather than a set I'll never use.

If anyone here knows the wrench size or has the the valve cover off and can check it, please let me know. Having only one car, it will save me a couple hours work.

I'd appreciate it. Thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Curious, as to why you are replacing the plate?
No idea what size you need.
I've an intermitent problem, a hard hesitation -sometimes the engine seems to cut out momentarily at high speed- eniough to make the car jerk, and me think the engine would stop. First couple times it happened were right after getting gas at a station in a small town. I thought it might be bad gas.

After 100 miles of highway driving I finally got a code - P0344. According to a Honda tech, that's code is set by the ECM using a counter that resets unless it reaches a certain value within a unknown interval. If it does reach it, it triggers the code.

The four possible causes in the service manual troubleshooting of that code are the ECM, plug connections, grounds, the cam poistion sensor, and the cam position plate. I don't have a scan tool to watch the software counters.

I checked each of the connectors- wiggle test, eyeball and cleaning. The three grounds connectons, each check with the others disconnected have tiny voltage drops. I didn't see any sign of abrasion in the harness. The coils of the two position sensors read very close. The prob;em continues.

The plate is a $15 OEM part that according to the manual can ""break" and the sensor costs more than $100. I need to check/ adjust the valves anyway. I thought tightenting /replacing the plate first made sense because it's the hardst part to get to and I'll be in there anyway. So I got one.

If I dont get an answer from someone before I have to do the valves, I'll have to buy a set of larger keys on speculation that costs more than the plate to have the one size I'll need. I know that I'll never need them again.

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
2,408 Posts
Interesting... Similar to ABS tone rings. I have had those develop a hairline crack, and then the wheel speed sensor picks up the crack as another tooth. This in turns activates ABS. So it's a possibility, the cam plate has a similar crack.
Post up your findings. My gut feeling is electrical, even EMI from another source.

·
Registered
2007 LX MT/FWD
149 Posts
Hello,
I can check in the morning(if I remember). I have the VC off on one of my 05s.
Oops, for got to post this last night....
I checked, and they are both(exh. & int.) 8mm allen wench size.

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello,
I can check in the morning(if I remember). I have the VC off on one of my 05s.
Oops, for got to post this last night....
I checked, and they are both(exh. & int.) 8mm allen wench size.
Thank you. I appreciate it.

I just found the information here a few minutes ago and came back to post it. All I need now is an adjustable wrench that fits the camshaft from Harbor Freight. I found the Denso part number for the "Honda" OEM intake sensor; it's half the cost from a distributor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts