Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Since this is the "intro" area I guess you all can figure out we just purchased an Element!

The wife and I do a ton of mountain biking and are really excited to finally be able to easily carry & secure our bikes with minimal hassle.

We picked up a 2007 SC from Carmax w/33k on the clock (Galaxy Gray, 5spd). The E seems to be in really good shape minus a small issue of some mismatched touchup paint on 3 scratches. We'll have to take care of that when it gets warm.

Planned mods are wind deflectors on the front doors and a Bull Grill Push guard. Maybe some fog or driving lights.

Has anyone purchased a "performance" chip? Does anyone even make one?
Not so much for added HP, but rather it's been my experience that most chips also give better fuel mileage too.

Or only real dislikes for the E (if you want to call them dislikes) are the poor mileage for a manual & the SC not having the waterproof seats.

Anyhow, I look forward to chipping in, getting advice, and sharing our E / Outdoor life style experiences.

Jay

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Proof of ownership is in the pictures...............you, the wife, the car, the bikes
We'll assume your location is area code 804 - Virginia
you have a fairly active group around that area (always a reason for a road trip)

·
Registered
730 Posts
Welcome! From what I understand there is no real chip out there to help out with the gas mileage....most of them are scams.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thx for the warm welcome!

Yeah, I know I made a fopaux by not posting pics. Between the cold and our "need" the the E, we haven't had time to do more than buy & drive it aside from a few phone pics I snapped on night one of ownership.

From my research it seems that no one is really doing a lot for engine management. It's really surprising that no one has taken to this part of the market! I have seen the 6th gear conversion, which IMO is much needed. I'm shocked that the 5th final ratio has the RPM's sitting 500 rpm's higher than that of my friends 05 4spd auto @ 70-75mph.

A little more background to how we picked the E: After literally years of research, the E still comes out on top in terms of usable room for an outdoor lifestyle. I know, I'm preaching to the choir. We've been using a '99 Subi. Impreza Outback as our "go-to" trip mobile. Now with 119k on the clock, it's been great for us with a few minor exceptions that had us reconsider a Subi. and go for the E.

We also have a '93 GMC Jimmy SLT which has been great in terms of care, but the 17-18mpg and short headroom (despite having hte same cargo space) make it hard to use for moving materials and bikes.

For those who are curious: The Subi. had & has issues of breaking CV axles and rear wheel bearings. In 90k of owership, we've replaced a total of 6 wheel bearings @ an avg of $500 a pop, plus going on our 7th CV axle, all but 1 being the front. Mind you we have an automatic that barely gets out of it's own way, let alone trying to be a racer boy in it.

The rear wheel bearing & axles have all been factory replacement parts, because the "aftermarket" parts are supposed to be even worst!

Don't get me wrong, aside from these few reoccurring issues, it's been a solid car with the best All-Wheel-Drive on the market. So anyway this is why we went with the E SC & didn't want another AWD car @ this time.

So anyway, we're really excited about the E and just to have a piece of mind, picked up the MaxCare 60k/6yr care coverage. IMO, It's a smoken deal considering just about everything on the E is covered to 93k! Mind you, this is coming from someone who has never bought an extended warranty in my life.

PS: I'm definitely aware of E ownership here in CentralVa. I'd say 1 of 5 that I know own one! If you show up to a mtb ride, the lot is usually full of E's...

Attachments

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Glad you joined the club!

So your in VA. ? what part of northern Va. I know it's the Richmond area.

I hope you can make one of our meets.

Dom

·
Registered
874 Posts
welcome to the nightmare !!! well atlest somebodys nightmare.ok it might just be daves mightmare about twi's bonfire roasting jojo's zombies with orangee's in thier mouths !!! but never fear the browniees are hear !! but sadly it's your turn to bring the drinks.(lot's of drinks, and also diet soder for the ones watching the girlish figures !!!) hope you got a good warranty. there are so many scams out there, like the one I got from honda(certified scam:shock:) hopefuly you wont need it.:roll: so just sit back and enjoy the ride,let your fingers do the talken.and it's ok if your fingers are illagitamatte like mine there are spellen teachers everywhere to help :shock:!!! but they go on vacation after a while when they give up pounding it into my oops your head :060:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Richmond is in central Va, it's kinda well placed. We're about an 1-1.5 hrs from the mountains, beach, NC, DC, etc.

The warranty is from Carmax and I know people who have used it w/out issue, which is why we bought it. As warranties go it doesn't get better IMO, as least from the experience of what I've read.

Unlike many others that tell you all they cover, this one simply outlines what is NOT covered and the list is short and easy to understand, plus can be returned on a ProRated basis since it's non-transferrable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts