Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello EOC!

I searched and searched and found small tidbits on HID kits for the E, such as what temps people are buying, how they installed them, yadda yadda.
But I still have a couple questions unanswered.
I would absolutely love to get some HIDs, I just want to tap in to this awesome resource before I buy them.
Being that I am new to understanding HID kits, I would like to know:

1. Do you have to buy an entire Kit to have HIDs, or can you just buy high temp bulbs?

2. If you can install just the bulbs, what is the highest the plastic headlights can handle?

3. Favorite brand/Retailer?

Thank you for any input on this. I greatly appreciate it, as usual!

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
1. Do you have to buy an entire Kit to have HIDs, or can you just buy high temp bulbs? NEGATIVE

2. If you can install just the bulbs, what is the highest the plastic headlights can handle? YOU CANT, AND ANYWAY THE "TEMPATURE" IS JUST THE COLOR OF THE BULBS

3. Favorite brand/Retailer? EBAY, ANYTHING YOU CAN GET THAT HAS THE SLIM OR MINATURE BALLASTS, AND MAKE SURE YOU CAN GET AN EXTRA BULB OR TWO BECAUSE THEY DO GO OUT, OR GET A SECOND KIT FOR SPARES IF YOU CAN FIND A KIT THAT IS CHEAP ENOUGH

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome. Thanks for the info, Yoda!

Does every install require the removal of the entire front body kit? I ask because every write up I have seen, the person takes the entire front of the E off.

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,898 Posts
Does every install require the removal of the entire front body kit?
I haven't done this particular mod, Dallan, but I can tell you that removing the front fascia is so easy that it's way better than trying to contort yourself to get over/under/around/inside it. Fog lights installation instructions (see HandA site) have a good how-to. You might break a few clips (Honda part 91503-SZ3-003), so it pays to have extras on hand before you start.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Awesome. Thanks for the info, Yoda!

Does every install require the removal of the entire front body kit? I ask because every write up I have seen, the person takes the entire front of the E off.
if you do it right in an non-SC then yes. you will need to remove the headlights to get in there and install the projectors to centralize the beam pattern other wise (as i have said before) it will just look like light threw up everywhere and you will eventually get a ticket when you blind a cop. any vehicle that didnt come with hids from the factory are not legal, so if you do it the wrong way and dont at least give it the apperence of stock you WILL eventually get pulled over for it. the SC's have the projector from the factory so the beam pattern is nice and flat already and all i had to do was install a kit that i got from a buddy at Metra (xenon works brand that is no longer...) and i was done. there is a good thread or two on here though that has info on putting the projectors in. that being said, be sure you get the blub type that the projector is made to house and not the one that just opos into yout stock headlight assembly.

and as rambler dan suggested get the removal instructions from h and a for the foglights and you will have access to the headlight housings pretty easy. put some fogs in while you are in there :)

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
1. Do you have to buy an entire Kit to have HIDs, or can you just buy high temp bulbs?
for JDM OEM headlights, the come with the ballast, therefore you can purchase the bulbs itself...
in north america, we just use the standard halogen bulb.... therefore, we have to puchase the whole kit to add HID to it......

2. If you can install just the bulbs, what is the highest the plastic headlights can handle?

nope.... got to install the whole kit..... kit includes ballast, all the possible wiring and the bulb....... simple plug and play items....

3. Favorite brand/Retailer?
ignited HID's of course!! they're built in canada.. :D

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for all the info everyone. Are the kits from cardhidkits.com any good? I like those prices.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
if you're going for it at cheap cheap prices, make sure you have more money on hand to purchase replacement parts if something blows or fail.

i'd get something more expensive but i have the confidence to know that my parts won't fail on me if anything happens. oh, did i mention ignited hid's were manufactured in Canada? :D

13 month warranty for me.... so everything is cool. :cool:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Are there any high(er) priced kits that are known to be reliable / quality? Even if so, I still need to figure out how to get some projectors into my 09.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Are there any high(er) priced kits that are known to be reliable / quality? Even if so, I still need to figure out how to get some projectors into my 09.

http://www.ddmtuning.com/index.php?p=catalog&parent=85&pg=1

I am not affiliated in anyway with this business, but I've dealt with them in the past. They are very active within the BMW* community and the prices are pretty good.

They sell 3 brands. 2 of which (DDM and ProLumen) come with life-time warranty, that means if anything that goes wrong it will be replaced, no questions asked. Bulbs, ballasts, you name it. They also sell a universal relay harnesses so you don't have to use the factory wiring and risk frying the factory electronics ($$$). You only use factory wiring as triggers to trip the relays. Power source can come straight from the battery or alternator. Ballasts demand a high current draw upon ignition so it is entirely possible to mess up factory wiring and circuitry. It's happened to a few BMWs that I know of each costing over $800 to repair; fried instrument cluster.

*I own a '01 M Roadster, currently in the hunt for an Element for DD and camping/backpacking trips.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I like the looks of those Ignited Performance ones, but what kit does the E require?

·
Registered
114 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts