Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey There,

Hopefully this is an appropriate place to ask this question. I've read a few posts about adding 12v sockets, but this is slightly different.

I'm looking to install a permanent phone dock (which has usb power and 3.5mm audio out) then tuck the wires down into the windshield and then hidden into the dash, where i'll hardwire them both.

I'd like to still have the aux input on the passenger dash available for an ipod or something.

Also if its possible to not install a 12v socket to plug my 12v to usb adapter, and instead wire directly-ish to my usb cable, that'd be great, but... not a deal-breaker.

So i'm looking for some guidance here... whats the best way to go about this? should i tear up the passenger dash and splice into the audio aux there? or is there a better spot in the stereo to splice in. Where should i take power from? and any other suggestions advice you guys have would be awesome.

BTW I intend to meticulously document this endeavor with HDR and streaming video footage... not really but i'll make sure you guys see it

thought i'd attach a photo for photo's sake

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,920 Posts
Connect 12VDC to the USB port of your device and you'll fry the device.

To wire power through a USB connector, you need to drop the voltage from 12V to 5VDC regulated, and then current limit it to 500 mA.

http://www.girr.org/mac_stuff/usb_stuff.html

One way to do this, is to buy a USB 2.0 hub with a power feed-through, connect it to a 12VDC regulated USB charger, install them behind the dash, connect one port of the hub to a female USB jack, another to your audio unit.

If you are good with electronics, you could build a power converter from an LM7805.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sadly I'm not good enough with electronics to really make sense of that pdf... at least in how it relates to my car & what i wanna do.

I do have one of those usb connectors, 12V DC to female USB, thats how i'm currently powering my device, plugged into the existing port in the passenger dash,

but, from what i've read around here, adding another power supply is rather complicated and involves getting through the firewall and stuff.

would an additional 5V/500mA draw off the existing system do damage? blow fuses etc or something?

I guess mainly i'm looking for help pertaining to the element itself. Is there a diagram of the fuses/wires that i'd have to tap into to get the power i want? and a diagram of the audio cables coming from the back of the head unit?

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts