Registered
65 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I chickened out on my E and had the dealer install the flat four kit. Then I added the seven pin RV connector myself a while later. I used a basic flat four kit on my wife's E and it was pretty easy to splice in. Just make sure to shrink wrap the but connectors so the wires don't corrode. Do not use t-taps if you can help it.
Here is a pic of the class III installed. I have some pics posted somewhere of the old class I when it was on my E but, I haven't taken any pics of my wife's E with the hitch yet, not that it looks any different.:)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
OMG !!!! :-( Did you see all that RUST on the underside of that Element !! :-(

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Yeah, they put the salt on thick up here in the winter months, all nine of them.:D

·
Registered
872 Posts
uhaul hitch

about the same as the hiden hitch.I put mine on yesterday.class three. $89.00+20-25 shiping.looks great quick install by my self. needs a 1/4"spacer inbetween the hitch& rear tow hook. I used a 1.5"x2" aluminum 1/4" thick drilled 2 holes for the ubolt to go through.this keeps the hitch from deforming your bumper cover,also remove the plastic push lock in the center of the bottom of the bumper cover.It is about .080" thick & also causes the bumper to deform. I didnot need to enlarge the holes to put the bolts or lucking tab washers in the frame .just put(grind or file) 2 flats on the head of the bolts (not very big across from each other &the bolts will go through the frame holes when tilted) the tab locks went through the frame at the end of the frame where the bumper brace is welded to the frame.just fish the wire from the hole through the opening I just mentioned run it through the lock about 3-5 " (threaded end of wire) push the lock through the hole (I used a graber"majic fingers") then push the thread end of the wire back into the frame& out the other hole where you thread the wire on to the bolt & pull it through the hitch & put on nut.try not to deform the wire threads screw it on & off.dont pull it off,you need to use it 4 times. or just enlarge the hole like the instructions say to .( I dont like enlarging holes in my E or scratching it anywhere) good luck. I think it took about 30 min. & the fleebay vender was tinavonteese in losvagas I think. price&quality is great.3or 4 days to get here in florida from cali

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Somebody wanna look at the instructions on the wiring kit they're including? Mine is an '08 and it sure doesn't work the way they have on that auction. The converter plugs in under the dash, the trailer pigtail plugs in a prewired socket in the spare tire well, and it sure doesn't draw power from the existing brake circuit like that Ebay kit. Not to mention that there's no need to start pulling panels off to reach wires.

I had a hitch installed at Uhaul and bought the wiring kit on Ebay (went on in about 5 minutes) and I think the whole install was cheaper than that auction.

·
Registered
872 Posts
plug in harness hoppy #43105

I am fixen to order one ,it says the same one for oddsey,accord,crv&a few others. just plug in & go no spliceing. price 25-35.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
RE: plug in harness hoppy #43105

I am fixen to order one ,it says the same one for oddsey,accord,crv&a few others. just plug in & go no spliceing. price 25-35.
Be Carefull...I think "hoppy #43105"
is for '03 & '04 only. Your '05 is "special."

do a search first. :wink:

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
what is so special about it?
Honda played some cruel jokes on the owners in 2005. Our Pilot is an '05 so we found out the hard way that it's what you'd call a "transition year" when nothing before or after fits. Just for informational purposes, go to Ebay and search for "Honda Element Trailer Wiring" and you'll get an idea of how the different model years group together.

·
Registered
188 Posts
hitch my 06

I am goint to hitch my 06 , class II is all I need as I have a pair of inserts with 17/8 and 2' balls , ( no need to go heavy for a small sail boat ) what is the best / easiest to self install

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Since nobody with more experience answered, let me suggest what I did. Go have Uhaul put on a hitch. They charged me $30 installation fee and after the fun they had, I'm glad they did it. For the wiring? I'm not sure where to get the right kit for an '06 but I suggest (especially for a boat trailer!) to NOT Have Uhaul put on their universal wiring kit. It draws direct from the brake lights and all you need is one short to blow out your brake lights and/or the converter they use.

That reminds me. I need to pull out the Sunfish and see what shape it's in. It's been far too long...

·
Registered
232 Posts
I put on the factory harness-not difficult, just plug and play. Lots of plugging and playing, but the instructions are good. 45 minutes to an hour. The 2005 IS special, and we know it! :cool:
I put on a 1-1/4" Hidden Hitch. Took about 5 minutes to install it. Ah, maybe 10, counting opening the beer.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts