Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed the Hidden Hitch tonight after work, here are pics of the install:

Clicky

If anyone has wiring tips let me know, I'm going to do that in a few more days. I'll take pics of that too and post again.

8)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Nice install pics. You know, seeing all of these people installing their own hitches it makes me wish I would have done my install myself, AND had picked the Hidden Hitch one. I ended up with the Draw-Tite Sportframe and that's not the best hitch to have if you want to install a bike rack or any other accessory.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Great pics. Should be very helpful. I just ordered a Hidden Hitch after pricing the Honda unit (!). I'm not getting a wiring harness yet, as my main use of the hitch will be for a bike rack and antennas.

·
Registered
70 Posts
4rac,

I see we're posting back and forth on one anther's threads this morning!

I've ORDERED my hidden hitch and T-connector wiring harness- but haven't received them yet so take this with a grain of salt... but I've installed 2 previous wiring harnesses using the T-Connector technology and it's usually a 3-minute no-brainer.

I'm TOLD that hard-wiring the harness can be a nightmare on the Element, but the T-Connector should make it a non-event. You just find the wiring loom beneath the vehicle, locate the connector and plug in the new T-Connector which adds the trailer-wiring pigtail and 4-flat connector.

I ordered mine from Hidden-hitches.com

Try this link:

http://www.hidden-hitches.com/t1_31.html and then scroll 3/4 of the way down the page.

Good luck,

Steve

·
Registered
26 Posts
[quote:6cc6de222a="4rachnid"]I just installed the Hidden Hitch tonight after work, here are pics of the install:

Clicky

If anyone has wiring tips let me know, I'm going to do that in a few more days. I'll take pics of that too and post again.

8)[/quote:6cc6de222a]

I installed a hidden hitch along with the wiring harness from Hidden Hitch (see www.hiddenhitch.com for the part number . Total Time (I was being VERY careful) was about 2 hours.

Unfortunately I have no pictures but I do have a couple of pointers for you...

1. The instructions from hidden hitch are useless (and wrong as they indicate the harness is on the driver's side). Use the instructions from Honda's Hitch kit to guide your dis-assembly procedures.

2. If you mount the aftermarket harness in the same place as the Honda harness (up inside the body of the vehicle), you may find that the length of wire to your trailer is too short. I mounted mine using a cable just behind the plastic panel below where the 12V DC Aux Power is located. (careful not to occupy any holes that are used by the plastic pins of the interior plastic panel).

3. I DID NOT have to remove the bumper like the Honda instructions indicate. Instead I did the following:
- I cut the harness wires and fed them through the smaller of two grommets in the rear of the vehicle and down between the body and bumper. (there are four rubber grommets on the back, two large outer ones and two small inner ones).
- Be sure to keep the small rubber grommet, I cut a small hole in the center of it and fed the wires through it. This looks cleaner and keeps the wires from getting stripped off against the sharp metal edge.
- After feeding the wire, I used four butt connectors to put the wires back together again.

4. I secured the wire with strips of industrial strength double-sided tape (used for carpet installations/seams) -- the Honda Kit comes with some clips and double sided sticky pads. Using strips of this tape actually produced a cleaner look.

Good luck!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Wow! I wish I had waited to install my Hidden Hitch wiring harness. The new version is a MAJOR improvement over the first generation that I have installed on my Ellie. :shock:

Take a look at the trouble you had to go through to install the earlier version at http://community.webshots.com/user/rayjean1996.

The new version just plugs into the existing harness. It really sucks being a pioneer sometimes. :(

·
Registered
141 Posts
Bigmo:

Nice pics of your Element. Tell me, what model is your Starcraft trailer and how much of a strain does it put on your Element when towing it? Also, is Padre Island a hard packed sandy beach or a lot of soft loose sand? Did you have to deflate your tires before going out there?

Thanks!

·
Registered
28 Posts
WR70:

The pop-up is a 2002 Starcraft model 1404. It weighs about 1100 lbs empty.

My Ellie tows it with no problem. The only thing I noticed was that it shifted down sooner when climbing hills. But I was really surprised with the fuel mileage. When I went to pick up the trailer about 250 miles from my home, I got 20.1 mpg driving 75 - 80 mph going up empty and then towing it back home at 65 -70 mph, I got 20.5 mpg!! :shock:

The beach at Padre Island is fairly hard packed for about 50 yards from the water's edge. Further up the beach it gets pretty soft and deep. I never had to reduce air pressure since I stayed out of the soft stuff.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey BigMo: How loaded was the trailer? Was the Element loaded too?

I am about to order and install a hitch for my week old Element. I am then moving half-way across the country in August. I am planning to pull an 8x4 UHaul trailer. The Element manual warns that the towing capacity is 1500lbs, and the max weight to have inside should not exceed 675lbs. and that weight includes passengers.

Has anyone grossly exceeded that weight, and how did it change the ride? Was the Element any different afterwards?

·
Registered
58 Posts
[quote:49cbcb8bca="4rachnid"]I just installed the Hidden Hitch tonight after work, here are pics of the install:

Clicky

8)[/quote:49cbcb8bca]I don't know who you are...but you're my HERO! I was just about to have the dealer install the Factory Hitch on my Nighthawk Black Pearl EX Friday. How much did your Hidden Hitch cost...if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hidden Hitch at hitchmart.com cost $134 This includes hitch, wiring and shipping. This is cheaper than hiddenhitch.com because you don't pay for shipping.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts